Orioles acquire Alejandro de Aza

PaulFolk

And? None of that matters man.

Why shouldn't it matter? He's not a good defender, baserunner and he's not hitting for any power at all. He's an upgrade how? I don't care about the players they gave up, but I don't like the move. I'm a big Duq fan, but I'm not going to kiss the ring every time he makes a move, especially a head scratcher. De Aza, even when he was killing us last year, you know, his huge 17 HR year where he really wow'd the league, he wasn't even worth a single win. I don't have to like every move Dan makes.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's said he's a good defender (not really), He's sounding like he thinks he's a power hitter (he's not) and he makes it sound like he's a good SB guy (he's not) he gets caught far too often to be effecient.
You actually believe his public assessment is the same as what he thinks privately? He's been working on this deal for two weeks. I'm guessing he knows plenty about the player.

Thank you, my thoughts exactly. He can sell it any way he wants and it doesn't have to be the truth.

Dan is smart, very smart.

Why shouldn't it matter? He's not a good defender, baserunner and he's not hitting for any power at all. He's an upgrade how? I don't care about the players they gave up, but I don't like the move. I'm a big Duq fan, but I'm not going to kiss the ring every time he makes a move, especially a head scratcher. De Aza, even when he was killing us last year, you know, his huge 17 HR year where he really wow'd the league, he wasn't even worth a single win. I don't have to like every move Dan makes.

vs RHP 109 353 315 38 88 18 4 5 30 15 6 30 75 .279 .347 .410 .756 129 6 4 1 3 2 3 .349 126 117

He is hitting .280 with a .350 OBP vs. RHP this year. He is not a great defender, but he is a clear upgrade from Cruz and Young in the OF and he is a clear upgrade from Lough at the plate. He will never see a LH pitcher. Plus, for the past two years he has been playing for a REALLY bad team. Perhaps being thrust into a playoff race will have an effect.

You can't look at this trade in terms of WAR or his full season stats.

He's a lefty bat that we don't have in AAA. That's basically it! He's going to play in matchup situations and he's going to play over his head because he's on a first place team under Buck.

This is where Duq is smarter than everyone. He's so good at finding situations where players succeed above what their stats tell you.

Why do we care about season stats for a guy who's going to be injury depth and get a handful of ABs? He's just a piece.

Agree. The moves tonight were all about giving Buck the ammunition he needs to match up in any situation. The expanded roster gives you the opportunity to do it, and now they have the players to put at Buck's disposal.

Honest question. Since when does Dan not inflate players? Second question, how can you not know by now that he's full of hot air publicly and a genius behind the curtain?

He excels at being the dumbest sounding smart guy.

Didn't like trade at first. Now growing on me.

Why shouldn't it matter? He's not a good defender, baserunner and he's not hitting for any power at all. He's an upgrade how? I don't care about the players they gave up, but I don't like the move. I'm a big Duq fan, but I'm not going to kiss the ring every time he makes a move, especially a head scratcher. De Aza, even when he was killing us last year, you know, his huge 17 HR year where he really wow'd the league, he wasn't even worth a single win. I don't have to like every move Dan makes.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yes you do! Just face it. You have a personal animus towards De Aza.

I for one am appalled at your behavior.

Defensive WAR for outfielders is a worthless stat. He has a career .331 OBP and .728 OPS . With Lough looking completely useless with the bat and him being able to play all three outfield spots it is a definite upgrade.

Here are some other options that might pass through waivers:

Daniel Nava - he had a horrible start to the season but he's heated up to the tune of a 90 OPS+. Two problems... trading with Boston again could come back to bite the team, and Nava is cheap and controlled for a while so they might ask for something nice in return. Nava is a switch hitter but has a career .810 OPS vs RHP.

Adam Dunn - he's a FA after this season and there's only a fraction of the $15 mil left the White Sox owe him. He's, well, he's Adam Dunn. Y'all know what he does.

Alejandro De Aza - another White Sock that will be a FA. He doesn't have Dunn's bat but he is a legit OF who can cover CF. Career .275/.337/.409 vs RHP.

Grady Sizemore - our buddy Grady is batting .301 with a 115 OPS+ in Philly.

Luis Valbuena - we're getting a good look at him now. He's entering arbitration years and is having a career year (106 OPS+), and plays 3B. The Cubbies have a ton of talent waiting in the wings so they may be willing to deal him.

Will Venable - having a miserable season with the bat but like De Aza, he's a legit OF glove that can cover CF and he's a FA end of the year. All we need is a hot streak, not an all-star.

Justin Morneau - OK so this one's a stretch. He's signed through 2015 with a $9 mil option for 2016 and it's the $$$ that would allow him to pass through. But I'm guessing Colorado won't trade the man who is on pace to be the NL batting champ.

Were they listening to me? No, but it's nice to see they were still looking for a LH bat.

Of note, his splits in 2014 are extreme. His split vs RHP is about at career average (.279/.347/.410) but he is OPSing .305 vs LHP. That's in 82 plate appearances. 305. He should not see a single PA vs a lefty moving forward this year, and he will do fine.

I had De Aza on my fantasy squad for the first few weeks of the season before trading him. I sold him high, as he hit 4 HR in the first two games. He's hit only one HR since.

I guess it is a good move depthwise, but this doesn't mean we should start printing World Series tickets yet.

Archived