Orioles acquire Alejandro de Aza

PaulFolk

I just don't see a significant improvement over Lough. .743 vs .685 lifetime against righties, but that's offset by Lough's better defense. But as was said, Dan thinks De Aza matches up well against pitchers the O's will see in September. Hopefully, the mover works out well.

I would NOT be enthusiastic about keeping De Aza next season - based on what Cubs fans have said about him.

Sometimes players miraculously improve when they go to a better organization. We shall see.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love that you think this somehow matters in regards to how he will be used on this team the rest of the year.

He was clearly showing that it doesn't matter because he's only hit that many HRs in seven years. He's hit more than Lough but that isn't saying much.

Lough's defense is outstanding. People need to realize that. There was an article on it earlier in the season and I remember being amazed at the response here. It's almost as if people could not believe there was more value in playing a guy in LF who saved you runs with his glove over the course of a season compared to a HR hitter like Cruz.

I'm not sure what De Aza is supposed to accomplish except to give Buck another LHB off the bench. I certainly don't want him taking away innings from Lough late in the game. Lough is the better defender, hands down.

He was clearly showing that it doesn't matter because he's only hit that many HRs in seven years. He's hit more than Lough but that isn't saying much.

Lough's defense is outstanding. People need to realize that. There was an article on it earlier in the season and I remember being amazed at the response here. It's almost as if people could not believe there was more value in playing a guy in LF who saved you runs with his glove over the course of a season compared to a HR hitter like Cruz.

I'm not sure what De Aza is supposed to accomplish except to give Buck another LHB off the bench. I certainly don't want him taking away innings from Lough late in the game. Lough is the better defender, hands down.

If Parades can handle 3B defensively (until Flaherty replaces him in late innings), I wouldn't mind seeing a De Aza/Pearce platoon in LF with Cruz as DH and Lough the late inning defensive replacement. This also puts Davis back at 1B, where he does a good job.

I think that what this trade accomplishes is keeping Delmon Young out of LF.

I agree that Lough's defense is valuable.

However, his lack of production at the plate has really limited him to sporadic starts and a defensive replacement role.

The Orioles have a left handed hitter with some offensive upside ( more than Lough), who can play a passable LF. ( better than Young)

I'll guess We'll see how this plays out in regard to the playoff roster during the next couple of weeks.

I think that what this trade accomplishes is keeping Delmon Young out of LF.

I agree that Lough's defense is valuable.

However, his lack of production at the plate has really limited him to sporadic starts and a defensive replacement role.

The Orioles have a left handed hitter with some offensive upside ( more than Lough), who can play a passable LF. ( better than Young)

I'll guess We'll see how this plays out in regard to the playoff roster during the next couple of weeks.

De Aza is more than passable in LF. He is a +8 according to the FB this year and Lough is a +13. He is about league average in CF and RF, Lough a bit above league average. So IMO while Lough is better defensively, the difference is not nearly enough to make up for his poor offense.

De Aza is a better hitter than Lough even in a down year, and he basically does everything else that lough does. Clearly they are not happy with Lough. He's the guy Lough was supposed to be.

We've still received good value out of Lough (who has been a 1 WAR player this year (all glove), even though he's appeared in only 96 games and hasn't hit). The question for next year will be an interesting one. If de Aza can bounce back and have himself another 2011/2012, we'll be better off with him. If it's 2013/2014 part 3, then he won't be with us long.

I love the internal competition, it can only make us stronger. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived