vs. TWINS, 8/31

OFFNY

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read recently... Ghengis Khan, and his exploits..... He's responsible for about 60 million people today.

They also believe him to be responsible for 40 million deaths, at least he did his part to repopulate. They estimate he killed 11% of the population.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I'm fine with going back to regular extra innings now that the pitch clock has brought normal games times under control. If there's the occasional 18-inning marathon that only takes 3.5-4 hours that's fine. I probably won't see the end of it, but whatever. But I think the driving factor here is not so much game time, but the fact modern teams need 11 pitchers to get through 18 innings. Even 12 years ago we ended up with Chris Davis and Darnell McDonald pitching in a game that long. Today the specialization has gone farther. And to fix that... well, if the pitch clock is minor surgery, and moving the mound back is a lung transplant, somehow getting teams to go back to using starters for seven innings and 1-3 relievers a game is like taking your brain out and getting it to live in a jar on the mantle.
    • Not saying it doesn't matter at all or anything, but I feel like I can't even trust established stats like OBP in the minors, let alone something as esoteric or flimsy as catcher ERA. More and more I just don't know how to interpret minor league stats, haha. 
    • I second this for exactly the same reason.  Pitch clock is easily the best thing that’s happened to the game in my lifetime.  
    • I wouldn’t call Flaherty a minor trade. He was a proven SP with playoff experience that was having a good year. He was exactly what we’re looking for right now. A SP to get us through the regular season with Game 3 upside. I will agree that we need to do better to win a WS. Probably a lefty with our ballpark.  To that point, Kjerstad is now a member of the mlb team. So is Povich. We’re not trading any of the big 3. How much does McDermott, Norby, Stowers, plus the rest of our 4-system buy us?  Probably not Logan Webb because of the contract, but I think it buys us Kikuchi, and two rental relievers. 
    • The we'd also part was me agreeing to his point about Ryan, even if I thought the salary numbers were high.  
    • I think he was talking about Ryan Mountcastle but I can understand the pivot.  It’s like the Elvin Hayes turn around bank shot.  It’s always there when you need it.  😀
    • Suarez minor league deal. Cole Sulser. Cesar Valdez. Jorge Lopez. There's a ton, even if some only work out for one year or so.  I think what happens is people look at this year and the lack of waiver/small trade/minor league deal success stories, which is true. Elias hasn't found that guy on waivers or trades this year... yet. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now