Markakis on 2nd, 1 out, Jones at the plate....

HobCreek

....How do you not pinch run Lough for Markakis? I'm not usually one to critique managerial decisions, but I had expected that and was completely surprised that it wasn't the case. Hindsight is 20/20 and Lough almost definitely would have scored on the Cruz single, but I just don't get the decision to leave Markakis in even before the Cruz single.

Markakis is one of my favorite players, but is it really that big of a sacrifice to replace him with Lough, especially when it's possible he may not even get another AB? The trade-off of speed on 2nd with no outs when another run could very likely be the game winner seemed well worth it at the time to me...

I'm still in the mind-set that we will come back and win this (and Markakis is at bat now so maybe he will shut me up) but that really frustrated me, even before Cruz got a base hit.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was no outs also (I incorrectly said 1 out), and maybe so....it just shows the contrast between the 2 very similar teams, as that is almost certainly something that the Royals would have done. It still could be the correct move in the long run, but at the time I really wanted to see Lough on 2nd...and the Cruz single deepened my resolve I suppose...

I'm not sure how you're completely surprised... because this never happened once during the regular season. I'm sure Lough is being saved to pinch run for either Cruz or Joseph.

But I think you're missing the bigger point. If Pierce does his job, this conversation doesn't take place.

Buck doesn't disre2pect Markakis in that way.

Doesn't give enough with his defense? Seriously?

Are you saying Markakis and Lough are worth about the same to this team?

I will take Lough D over slow Nick everyday.

Doesn't give enough with his defense? Seriously?

Are you saying Markakis and Lough are worth about the same to this team?

Are you saying Nick is a great defensive player at this point in his career? Lough is a far better defender. Nick is a better hitter, no question. But it's a move that must be made in the future in order to score because Nick is extremely SLOW.

I thought the same thing. I can see Buck's side of it too. As long as Nick might come up to hit again and we are tied or ahead, Buck is going to keep him in the game. I am not sure Lough would have made it on Cruz's ball. It was hit very hard. He may have tried for it and gotten thrown out. AJ could have avoided the issue by simply advancing the runners but once again he failed to have a productive AB in a crucial situation.

Yes. He's a top 5 player at his position. A gold glover. 6th in outfield assists.

Lough is a nice player, don't get me wrong. But let's not overrate him.

Nick is only good if the ball is hit at him. HE HAS NO RANGE.

Quentin Berry should have been on this playoff roster to help match the other teams speed and help us win games. Matusz needs to tell Buck he has shoulder stiffness and see if we can replace him with Berry. Berry is faster than Lough and would have scored if he ran for Markakis. It's clear KC plays a different style than the Orioles and Tigers and Angels. They play the National league style that I like and had hoped we would start to copy when we obtained Lough and Berry. We still have time but obviously need to win games 3 and 4 to even it up.

I don't think anyone would say that Lough is more valuable to the team than Markakis, but in that situation....with Markakis on 2nd and no outs, I don't see that downside of putting Lough in to run. Even if Markakis does get another AB, I would trade one Markakis AB for more speed on 2nd in a tie game 1/0 out situation in the late innings.

Archived