Dyson Said He Doesn't Expect Series To Return To Baltimore

section18

Apologies if this was posted already, but I saw that several OH'ers quoted in this KCSportsNation post about O's fans "hilariously" losing hope (including quotes from another JROriole post, plus verbatim posts from allquixotic, Norfolk Orioles and russ snyder).

The entry, written by Conrad McGorkin (I'm not making that part up), ends with this wonderful paragraph:

"Orioles fans are panicking. And, we love it. We laugh at your desperation. We laugh at your anguish. We laugh the hardest at your logic: we must pay our dues, we don't deserve it, we haven't experienced pain, blah, blah, blah. How about this for fair, WIN BASEBALL GAMES."

You stay classy, Kansas City.

I really hope that guy ends up having to eat his words. Local sports media "shock jocks" are among the lowest forms of humanity.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still remember this.

Miami was leading the Colts 28-10 when it was noticed the Miami players were laughing at the Colts. Man did that piss the old Colts off.

Final score. Baltimore 45 Miami 28. True story.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197710090clt.htm

Dyson made a mistake.

I remember that game.

I was in 7th grade.

We didn't get the game up here in Brewster, NY, but I was following the scoreboard updates. When it was 21-10 Dolphins, I was worried. Then when I saw that the Colts had won 45-28, I was so psyched. :cool:

By the way, I VIVIDLY remember that day, because it was also the same day that the Yankees came from behind to beat the Royals in Game Five of the A.L.C.S., which advanced them to that year's World Series.

The Yankees were losing by a score of 3-2 going into the 9th inning.

And, who started the Yankees' 3-run rally in the top of the 9th with a lead-off single ???

None other than Paul Blair.

Apologies if this was posted already, but I saw that several OH'ers quoted in this KCSportsNation post about O's fans "hilariously" losing hope (including quotes from another JROriole post, plus verbatim posts from allquixotic, Norfolk Orioles and russ snyder).

The entry, written by Conrad McGorkin (I'm not making that part up), ends with this wonderful paragraph:

"Orioles fans are panicking. And, we love it. We laugh at your desperation. We laugh at your anguish. We laugh the hardest at your logic: we must pay our dues, we don't deserve it, we haven't experienced pain, blah, blah, blah. How about this for fair, WIN BASEBALL GAMES."

You stay classy, Kansas City.

That site set off my antivirus software.

No fooling.

I really hope that guy ends up having to eat his words. Local sports media "shock jocks" are among the lowest forms of humanity.

I thought that despite Orioles fans being extremely fired up about the playoffs (understandably so) that we had been quite civil to all of our opponents. I had no problem with the Royals in general, other than their being in the Orioles' way of claiming the pennant. But things like this make me loathe them. It's one thing to take losing a few games badly, but to take winning a few games badly is just inexcusable. But OK... I understand it must be difficult to be a Royals fan when your only Series crown was delivered by the grace of Don Denkinger's blown call. Asterisks are tough to live down.

I thought that despite Orioles fans being extremely fired up about the playoffs (understandably so) that we had been quite civil to all of our opponents. I had no problem with the Royals in general, other than their being in the Orioles' way of claiming the pennant. But things like this make me loathe them. It's one thing to take losing a few games badly, but to take winning a few games badly is just inexcusable. But OK... I understand it must be difficult to be a Royals fan when your only Series crown was delivered by the grace of Don Denkinger's blown call. Asterisks are tough to live down.

Don't confuse "Conrad McGorkin" with all Royals fans the same way he confuses some reactionary comments on a fan forum with all Orioles fans. If a few dismayed fans give this guy pleasure, well, what does that say about him?

All that counts happens between the white lines at The K starting at 8:07 tonight. The rest is just what it smells like.

This team has a history of this kind of stuff.

From a Royals fan: http://www.royaleswithcheese.com/2013/05/aloha-mr-hand.html

Article from Eno Sarris: http://www.hardballtimes.com/learning-the-language-of-the-clubhouse/

Below is a portion where he is being taunted by three Royals during one of his first interviews.

What I’d been looking for was some insight into the ideal ground-ball rate for a hitter. The Royals were hitting the most ground balls in the league, and I thought it might be affecting their power. Since I knew Eric Hosmer was the one behind me laughing at me, I thought I’d be the adult. I asked Butler about ground balls, but I motioned at Hosmer (I see you there): “I was asking Eric about this, but are ground balls and fly balls something you think about when you get up to the plate?”

“I think about putting the barrel on the ball.”

The peanut gallery exploded. “He gets paid to put the barrel on the ball, you guys get paid to think about fly balls and ground balls,” offers Hosmer clearly on the tape. Which wouldn’t be so bad, he’s right. But as I finished up the interview — Butler was great, he admitted that he looked for the low ball, since the pitcher was trying to throw it there anyway, something I found very interesting in terms of game theory — there was a hum behind me that threatened to take away my concentration.

I didn’t know who exactly was talking, but the tone of the stream and the intent was clear: “we get paid to put barrels on balls man, what the f— is this guy talking about, walk rates, ground-ball rates, barrels dude, barrels, what’s up with this hair, must be because he’s Greek, yeah or blind, these are some stupid questions, man, I’ve never heard anything like this, dude needs to shut up, bothering us about ground-ball rates man, barrels, dude, barrels, nut sacks more like.” The interview with Butler had been getting better, but there was one last emphatic statement from the trio behind me before they exited: “This guy’s the f—ing worst.”

How fitting Dyson scored the game winning run tonight.

First time he's actually contributed in the whole series. Dude's a jerk, I usually don't root for injuries on players but I hope he goes down for the rest of the playoffs. Heck, I'd even plunk him next season for sure.

First time he's actually contributed in the whole series. Dude's a jerk' date=' I usually don't root for injuries on players but I hope he goes down for the rest of the playoffs. Heck, I'd even plunk him next season for sure.[/quote']

Taking it a bit far, don't you think? I'd expect Jones to say the same thing if the roles were reversed.

First time he's actually contributed in the whole series. Dude's a jerk' date=' I usually don't root for injuries on players but I hope he goes down for the rest of the playoffs. Heck, I'd even plunk him next season for sure.[/quote']

Yeah, that jerk was so wrong!! Oh wait he wasn't.

Yeah, that jerk was so wrong!! Oh wait he wasn't.

Actually, he was wrong when he said the Orioles don't expect the series to come back to Baltimore. I doubt there's a player in the O's clubhouse who felt that way.

You seem to be missing the entire point of why Dyson's comments were objectionable. He can feel free to say that he personally doesn't think the series will come back to Baltimore, but for him to speak for the Orioles was classless and insulting.

Archived