Our hitting approach

Russsnyder

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We struck out 1285 times this season, compared to the Giants' 1245. Not a huge difference at all. We scored more runs, had a higher OPS, and had the same OBP. People draw too many conclusions from which team happens to have a few good days in October.

When you take the pitchers batting out of the equation the Orioles batters stuck out 1277 times, Giants 1106. Frobby I appreciate your effort in trying to present an O's PR spin.

But that eliminates what 10% of the Giants at bats?

Does that include removing the at bats of all pinch hitters for that position? Or the at bats of Madison Bumgarner who is a better hitter than Jarrod Dyson? What does doing this NL flavoring spin do on a percentage basis regarding those strike outs?

Does that include removing the at bats of all pinch hitters for that position? Or the at bats of Madison Bumgarner who is a better hitter than Jarrod Dyson? What does doing this NL flavoring spin do on a percentage basis regarding those strike outs?

SF pitchers struckout 139 times this season. The Orioles pitchers struck out 8 times.

So you want to count the Giants pitchers at bats into the equation?

No, but the Orioles had 43 more PA's than the Giants in total which is roughly the same so you can compare the gross number of strikeouts between the two teams. Once you take out pitchers, the O's non-pitchers have 371 more PA's than the Giants non-pitchers. You can't compare them because the number of PA's are so different.

Percentage wise, the Orioles non-pitchers struck out 20.9% of the time. Giants non-pitchers struck out 19.3% of the time. It still makes your point to an extent but at least we are comparing the same thing now.

No, but the Orioles had 43 more PA's than the Giants in total which is roughly the same so you can compare the gross number of strikeouts between the two teams. Once you take out pitchers, the O's non-pitchers have 371 more PA's than the Giants non-pitchers. You can't compare them because the number of PA's are so different.

Percentage wise, the Orioles non-pitchers struck out 20.9% of the time. Giants non-pitchers struck out 19.3% of the time. It still makes your point to an extent but at least we are comparing the same thing now.

So the Giants were 1.6 % better. I'd agree with that. How much more power did the Orioles exhibit? More powerful guys tend to strike out a bit more by nature.

Ok I will end the my participation in this debate. I started by pointing out Verducci's point about HOW MUCH HE LIKES the Giants approach to swinging on two strikes in the post season. The Giants swing level. We can debate for days regarding the O's approach. We had a great season and ran into the 2014 version of the 69 Mets.

Ok I will end the my participation in this debate. I started by pointing out Verducci's point about HOW MUCH HE LIKES the Giants approach to swinging on two strikes in the post season. The Giants swing level. We can debate for days regarding the O's approach. We had a great season and ran into the 2014 version of the 69 Mets.

Pretty accurate on all levels. I think the real damage that occurred with the Giants at the plate was on first pitches last evening.

The Giants have the biggest home field advantage in baseball and that is only augmented by the PED transition.

Spacious outfield dimensions coupled with SF damp heavy air wreaks havoc on offense. Giants batters get 82 games/year to adjust hitting approaches.

It's sort of the reverse Coors. In Colorado, all hitters benefit due to light air.

Archived