2014 #9 Prospect: Mike Yastrzemski - OF

Tony-OH

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

Yastrzemski had a strange season in 2018, and in a good way.

He really struggled in the first 1/4 of the season at AA-Bowie ............ lllllll .202 BA / .276 OBP / .603 OPS lllll (27 GAMES)

He really broke out in the final 3/4 of the season at AAA-Norfolk ........ lllllll .265 BA / .359 OBP / .801 OPS lllll (94 GAMES)

o

I don't hate the idea of letting him battle it out for a spot on the team to start the 2019 season. I don't see him being much of anything, but while we wait on some of the "real" prospects, I don't mind giving a shot to Yastremski. I put him in a similar bucket to Rickard, Ruiz, Nunez, Wilkerson, and even Stewart. I don't expect any of them to be much, but might as well give them a chance. I'd rather give a flier unlikely to pay off to someone like that than sign a 34 year old stop gap for slightly better production.

36 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I don't hate the idea of letting him battle it out for a spot on the team to start the 2019 season. I don't see him being much of anything, but while we wait on some of the "real" prospects, I don't mind giving a shot to Yastremski. I would put him in a similar bucket to Rickard, Ruiz, Nunez, Wilkerson, and even Stewart. I don't expect any of them to be much, but might as well give them a chance. I'd rather give a flier unlikely to pay off to someone like that than sign a 34 year old stop gap for slightly better production.

o

Especially considering that the Orioles are coming off of a 115-loss season, and are in the midst of a major rebuild ........ why waste several million on a veteran instead of spending minimum salary on someone like Yastrzemski, who may work out (albeit on a longshot) well for the team in the long run with the franchise in the state/process that it is currently in ???

o

Just now, OFFNY said:

o

Especially considering that the Orioles are coming off of a 114-loss season, and are in the midst of a major rebuild ........ why waste several million on a veteran instead of spending minimum salary on someone like Yastrzemski, who may work out (albeit on a longshot) well for the team in the long run  with the team in the state/process that it is currently in ???

o

16 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Especially considering that the Orioles are coming off of a 115-loss season, and are in the midst of a major rebuild ........ why waste several million on a veteran instead of spending minimum salary on someone like Yastrzemski, who may work out (albeit on a longshot) well for the team in the long run with the franchise in the state/process that it is currently in ???

o

Somebody will be getting chances, it just may not be Yastrzemski.   

• 1 month later...

o

vs. D-RAYS, 3/6/19 )) (SPRING TRAINING)

After starting 2019 Spring Training going 0-for-9, Little Yaz finally broke through with a 2-run home run with 2 outs in the top of the 9th inning, giving the Orioles a couple of insurance runs.

It was a line-drive shot over the right-field wall.

o

o

vs. D-RAYS, 3/6/19 )) (SPRING TRAINING)

After starting 2019 Spring Training going 0-for-9, Little Yaz finally broke through with a 2-run home run with 2 outs in the top of the 9th inning, giving the Orioles a couple of insurance runs.

It was a line-drive shot over the right-field wall.

o

• 2 months later...
On 5/25/2019 at 7:39 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(MAY 25th, 2019)

Yaz's Grandson Makes MLB Debut with Giants

(ESPN News Services)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26820014/yaz-grandson-makes-mlb-debut-giants

o

o

6 days later, Little Yaz had an awesome game at Oriole Park in Baltimore ........ a Home Run, a Triple, and a Walk in 5 plate appearances.

His team didn't win the game, though.

o

Archived