Jim Presley no longer hitting coach.

Greg

I just don't get why people think someone's playing record has anything to do with his coaching approach. It's like Joe Morgan... he was the practically perfect player from an advanced metrics perspective. Great defense, unbelievable plate discipline, high percentage player on the bases. But his career as a TV guy has personified the gut-check, be aggressive, clutchy anti-analysis approach. Or Billy Beane - he specifically, willfully goes out to acquire players and build teams based on whatever he wouldn't have done as a player. Beane uses his own career as a player only as a cautionary tale.

So, don't back up the Brinks truck for Barry Bonds?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's somewhat surprising. Doesn't Baines still make his home in St. Michael's?

Yes, he's always had a home in St. Michaels....and he was recently (like just a week or so ago) signing autographs locally in Easton at a Dick's grand opening.

BUT he's always been a ChiSox guy.....they started scouting him when he was like 12...he played for them for like parts of 14 or 15 seasons.....and I think he's now been on there coaching staff for 10+ years.

Maryland guy, but he's ChiSox for life.

Re: Brady, isn't he basically Duquette's right-hand man? Like a VP of sorts? Wouldn't a move to the field be a downgrade for him?

He is a VP and not of sorts. He is Vice President of Baseball Ops. Dan is Executive VP. Brady's job is like Theo's was in Boston kinda.

Exactly. Brady certainly has a voice in the organization but VP suggests more power than he really has. I wonder what kind of salary he draws as well. One would think that hitting coach would not even be a consideration for a "VP".

How do you know how much power he has?

Exactly. Brady certainly has a voice in the organization but VP suggests more power than he really has. I wonder what kind of salary he draws as well. One would think that hitting coach would not even be a consideration for a "VP".

He is second in command. He sits in on all the meetings and interviews. Obviously Louis, Dan and John have more authority.

This is what Dan said when Brady got his last promotion.

"These promotions reflect the significant contributions and commitments Brady, Ned, Mike and Bill have already made to the Orioles organization," Orioles executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette said in a statement. "They are valuable members of the baseball operations department, and I feel confident they will continue to excel in their new and expanded roles."

Has a team ever had two hitting coaches, one for lefties/one for righties?

There are. Royals, Phillies, Braves and White Sox have 2 hitting coaches. To me it makes perfect sense.. I expect to see more of it.

Side note: usually only 1 hitting coach is suited up during the game because of rules concerning uniformed personnel.

Archived