Jim Presley no longer hitting coach.

Greg

So what is your point? Asst. GM is still a more broad-ranging job than hitting coach. Brady seems to be a pretty trusted voice in the front office, whatever his title may be.

People forget Brady was involved in the Scott Beerer signing as well and his job offer for hitting instructor in the org.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Sig is #2, Elias is #1. Elias does not answer to Sig, it's the other way around. But I agree with your perspective on OAK. They are likely to be motivated in desiring to trade Miller. They are currently not good enough to win even with his dominance. His dominance/effectiveness is keeping their record propped up and preventing them from bottoming out. And they know that he is likely to get injured at some point. They don't want to be caught holding on to him for too long.
    • This is how I see it. He's living the dream. Grew up in Baltimore and was able to get rich and buy his favorite team, which I will not deny I have imagined a million times. I would probably be doing the same thing with fun promos, going to the games, and just enjoying my new toys (while simultaneously having my team working in the background on the "big" items, which i'm certain is happening in parallel: stadium renovations, ground lease plans, MASN, etc.)...
    • It's a concern, but not on the level of Miller's arm. I don't claim to be an expert on elbow fractures, but I doubt that would stop him from being a first baseman. Loewen was a pitcher--I don't think that's comparable unless you only use him to point out that elbow fractures can be recurring. I'm not saying there's zero chance the elbow completely derails Basallo, but I'd put the odds of that well under 10%. I have to admit, I was somewhat wrong about this. I count 7 catchers last year with at least 300 PA and an OPS of .800+. There were 17 first basemen who fit the same criteria. I'm having a harder time defining elite closer, but 7 is a pretty reasonable number. Maybe Bednar, Williams, Hader, Bautista, Phillips, Iglesias, Duran? That said, I'm still not trading Basallo for Miller. We're going to be good for a decade--we don't need to commit to that level this year. I also have far more faith that Elias can find us a good reliever on the scrap heap than a catcher.
    • PHI and maybe MIL are the only teams who have top notch minor league pitching (among the contenders) that they can afford to consider parting with. Given injury concerns, I would think the position player prospect holds more value than the pitching prospect. I believe that's why Elias only drafts position players early in the draft.
    • With Bradish and Means on the verge of returning I'm hoping this is just to give Grayson a rest so he doesn't breakdown in August/September. As long as this isn't serious it's not ideal, but it won't cripple this team. It is another argument for why Elias should consider trading for another starting pitcher. You can never have too much pitching.
    • Umpires these days are like, if you know my name, I’m probably terrible at calling balls and strikes. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now