2015 HOF Candidates

Frobby

New candidates: Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz

Return candidates: Craig Biggio, Mike Piazza, Jack Morris, Jeff Bagwell, Curt Schilling, Mike Mussina. Also Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and others suspected of PED use.

I think Johnson and Martinez get in on the first ballot. Biggio might sneak in this year. That's about all.

Starting next year, there will be no great starting pitchers joining the list for several years. It will be interesting to see what happens with Smoltz, Schilling and Mussina in those years.

It was rumored but never proven. (Google Murray Chass, back acne)

All 3 first timers should make it. Biggio also. My guess is Piazza and Moose are shut out again as well as Schilling.

I don't think Smoltz is an obvious HOFer, as compared to Mussina and Schilling. I think all three of those guys have a good case, but not an overwhelming one.

I agree that he should be in the Hall then. Greatest offensive catcher of all time.

But a poor defensive catcher. I think Piazza deserves it but should hardly be an automatic.

Smoltz, otoh, should be first ballot, imo. Dominant as both a starter and closer. Rating the Atlanta aces, he was a bit behind Maddux and a bit ahead of Glavine.

But a poor defensive catcher. I think Piazza deserves it but should hardly be an automatic.

Smoltz, otoh, should be first ballot, imo. Dominant as both a starter and closer. Rating the Atlanta aces, he was a bit behind Maddux and a bit ahead of Glavine.

Mussina: 270-153 (.638), 123 ERA+

Schilling: 216-146 (.597), 127 ERA+

Smoltz: 213-155 (.579), 125 ERA+ (209-149 (.584), 124 ERA+ as a starter; 4-6, 154 saves as a reliever)

I feel you're really splitting hairs among these three, if you are judging on regular season performance. Both Schilling 11-2, 2.23 ERA) and Smoltz (15-4, 2.67 ERA) pitched extremely well in the postseason, whereas Mussina was just his typical self for the most part and got a bit unlucky with his W-L (7-8, 3.42 ERA). I'd put all three in the HOF, eventually. For now they take a back seat to Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez in 2015. Then you have three years where these guys are on the ballot and there are no new plausible pitcher candidates. Things get more complicated for the 2019 class, which includes Roy Halladay, Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera.

I think there's a distinct possibility that four get in -- however, that was cloaked in the optimism of the class of 2014. My money is on Frobby's three: Johnson, Martinez and Biggio. Biggio because he was so close last year. Smoltz shows very well on his first ballot but can't quite wade through the crowd.

And by the way, that's a good thing, electing three. Last year was the most crowded ballot I've ever seen. The class of zero in 2013 is still fresh in the minds of the BBWAA and there are less members voting under the max of ten. I think last year had the highest average number of votes per ballot in history.

I don't think Smoltz is an obvious HOFer, as compared to Mussina and Schilling. I think all three of those guys have a good case, but not an overwhelming one.

Fair enough, not an overwhelming case -- but all three are obvious HOFers in my mind. They're all top 100 material; in other words, they're above median. Only HOF elitists would not consider them. I've debated a number of those types on the baseball history boards.

Pedro Martinez

Randy Johnson

Mike Piazza

Craig Biggio

Barry Bonds

Roger Clemens

John Smoltz

Mike Mussina

Curt Schilling

Jeff Bagwell

Tim Raines

ALL BELONG in the Hall of Fame. I don't believe in the players staying on the list, etc. Either a player is a Hall of Famer or not. The PED argument, notwithstanding, how do we know guys like Rickey Henderson, Andre Dawson, Jim Rice, even Nolan Ryan did not do steroids?

Yes I said Nolan Ryan. He is very close to Tom House who claimed to have use steroids in late 60's to early 70s and many of the players that played with him in Texas were linked not to mention a guy with the Angels and Rangers who could be a suspect, Brian Downing. I'm not saying they all did but if I can make you think and cast a little doubt then how is it implausible to think that many guys who are in the Hall-of-Fame had "some help". Heck during the Pittsburgh-Kansas City drug trials, it was reported that most of baseball was using cocaine recreationally. Do you really think they stopped there? Tim Raines included. He had a cocaine issue too. So did Paul Molitor, among many others.

I'm not talking about Sosa and McGwire and Palmeiro yet. Guys who had great careers that were Hall of Famers if PEDs weren't part of the occasion but in each of their cases, I'm not sure they would have been more than borderline without the help.

As much as some may protest, the HOF is still mainly about the counting numbers. Smoltz has a Cy Young, the other two don't but in fairness to Schilling he came in second to Randy Johnson twice and Johan Santana. However, in 1998, Smoltz finished in a tie for 4th with Maddux and Glavine won the award. Career ERA+ are all within two points of each other. Smoltz and Schilling are also close in wins. Where Smoltz sets himself apart from the two is when he reinvented himself as a closer, 154 saves in 3+ seasons. If the Hall was a bit sentimental, they'd add Smoltz to join Maddux and Glavine from last year, and/or add Schilling with Johnson together. I'd rank the odds as Smoltz then Schilling then Moose.

Archived