Andrew Miller to sign today (Yankees 4/$36M)

weams

Some folks think that since defensive metrics are not perfect they should be discarded.

They're not, I think we can agree on that, but they shouldn't be discounted. I don't remember weams being in that camp though.

[edit] - nevermind, he responded ahead of me.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some folks think that since defensive metrics are not perfect they should be discarded.

I think that when taking about things that involve them, walks, and stolen bases - that the chance that the numbers are saying something different increases. That's all.

They're not, I think we can agree on that, but they shouldn't be discounted. I don't remember weams being in that camp though.

[edit] - nevermind, he responded ahead of me.

I like the metrics. all of them. I just know some have a human or climate change factor.

I like the metrics. all of them. I just know some have a human or climate change factor.

K. I still like Headley as a free agent, just a bad match with Baltimore of course. Hoping the Yankees aren't the team with that contract in hand but expecting that they are.

Has anyone wondered if there was a problem with Miller and the coaches or other pitches? After seeing what KC did to us in the playoffs it would seem we would be looking to build the best pen in the AL East so we can have 6 inning games like KC. From the beginning of free agency every story or quote about the Orioles and Miller has been we aren't bidding on him. If he had a 4.25 ERA would we be bidding on him? The word is he's going to get a 4 year deal for $36 mill or $40 mill. Paying him 9 or 10 mill a year should easily fit our budget after losing Cruz and Markakis this week. Was there a problem between him and Buck?.

I just believe they they improperly skew the value of a dude now and again. Also, walks.
I have no idea how walks impact a players defense. As far as the defensive metrics go they give you a good ball park estimate of a players defensive value. Is Headley better than Manny, they won't tell you. But they will tell you they are both very good 3B.

Has anyone wondered if there was a problem with Miller and the coaches or other pitches? After seeing what KC did to us in the playoffs it would seem we would be looking to build the best pen in the AL East so we can have 6 inning games like KC. From the beginning of free agency every story or quote about the Orioles and Miller has been we aren't bidding on him. If he had a 4.25 ERA would we be bidding on him? The word is he's going to get a 4 year deal for $36 mill or $40 mill. Paying him 9 or 10 mill a year should easily fit our budget after losing Cruz and Markakis this week. Was there a problem between him and Buck?.

I never sensed that Miller was anything but happy here in Baltimore. The few times I talked to him he seemed very relaxed and enjoying the interaction with his teammates. Personally, I'm willing to give Miller $9 or $10 million because I think shortening that game is huge and I'm not sure we have another guy like that to replace him. Saying that, it's a huge risk to sink that much resources into a player that has really only been dominant for a year and a half. On top of it , when the Yankees want somebody, no one is going to outbid them unless that pull a nutty Seattle.

In really hope he doesn't end up with the Yankees. That would really sure up their bullpen.

The Yankees were 68-5 when leading at the start of the 8th (.932 versus .914 league average) last season, 65-4 (.942 versus league average .900) in 2013, and 78-5 (.940 versus leauge average .927) in 2012. So it is probably safe to say that signing Miller isn't going to positively impact their late inning win percentages materially.

The issue is getting to that point in the game with the lead more often (were there 83 times in 2012 when they won the division; compared to 69 in 2013 and 73 in 2014 when they missed the playoffs). That probably hinges on the health of the starting pitching or maybe to lesser extent if they can sign Miller and Robertson to bump someone back to a 7th inning role.

Archived