Concerns about Wieters being ready for Opening day.

Redskins Rick

It's not as if players haven't fired Boras in the past. A few names that come to mind are Cano, Arod, Beltran, Guthrie, Teixeira, Edwin Jackson. He's not right for everyone. It's all about the money unless of course it's not ALL about the money for the player.

And yet, even when they fired him. It's still all about the money.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how necessary Weiter's surgery was. He was obviously swinging the bat well while he was DH'ing. Unless he was in a ton of pain, maybe he should have skipped the surgery and played out his career at DH/1B.

I wonder if Wieters would be okay with working at DH most of the year. He could also take over 1B and move Davis into RF if need be. I know that's thinking on the negative side as a lot of his value is derived from his defense but I don't feel good about his health going into the year.

I wonder how necessary Weiter's surgery was. He was obviously swinging the bat well while he was DH'ing. Unless he was in a ton of pain, maybe he should have skipped the surgery and played out his career at DH/1B.

Catchers are a lot more valuable then a first baseman or a DH.

Plus who know if he would even be a decent first baseman from a defensive standpoint?

• 2 weeks later...

I got curious as to what history there was with catchers returning from TJ surgery. So far as I can tell, there have only been two major league catchers who had TJ after reaching the majors:

1. Todd Hundley had surgery in September 1997. He was back on the field the following July, but only as a LF/DH. He didn't start a game at catcher until September, about 11.5 months after his surgery. He did resume full-time catching duties the following year.

2. John Baker had surgery in early September 2010. He did some catching on a MiL rehab assignment in May 2011, but after a few games they had to shut him down until late August. He was called up in September but used as a PH except for one game where he caught three innings. He resumed duties as a catcher in 2012, though more of a back-up than a starter.

Bottom line, there doesn't appear to be any precedent at the major league level for a catcher being ready to resume catching duties 9-10 months after surgery. But there's not much to go on.

I got curious as to what history there was with catchers returning from TJ surgery. So far as I can tell, there have only been two major league catchers who had TJ after reaching the majors:

1. Todd Hundley had surgery in September 1997. He was back on the field the following July, but only as a LF/DH. He didn't start a game at catcher until September, about 11.5 months after his surgery. He did resume full-time catching duties the following year.

2. John Baker had surgery in early September 2010. He did some catching on a MiL rehab assignment in May 2011, but after a few games they had to shut him down until late August. He was called up in September but used as a PH except for one game where he caught three innings. He resumed duties as a catcher in 2012, though more of a back-up than a starter.

Bottom line, there doesn't appear to be any precedent at the major league level for a catcher being ready to resume catching duties 9-10 months after surgery. But there's not much to go on.

I Believe any timeline for a return for a catcher is similar to that of a pitcher. A catcher doesn't throw as hard as a pitcher every throw, but still throws approx. 80% of the balls back that the pitcher pitches. In addition they routinely catch the whole game and catch more than 2 days a week. Thus the intensity of a pitcher is harder but the repetition of the catcher is more. I believe 12 months is the minimum for a normal return. Adrian Peterson was a freak with his ACL return. Is it possible to have a freak for a UCL? It will be interesting to see. I am fully confident without any setbacks that 16-18 months after surgery he can be back to "normal." Meaning by the start of 2016 he should be able to throw with minimal concern or deficits. Could he do that as early as OD 2015? I honestly still feel he starts the season on the DL.

The Orioles are not going to broadcast their honest opinion as it affects the affordability of a catcher they may sign. But, at the same time they cannot tell potential options how long Wieters will be out because nobody knows as of now.

It is a relatively small list of catchers who have had the procedure at any level. The star of the era is Taylor Teagarden, he appears to have recovered the best. I have no idea how many years it took him.

The Orioles are not going to broadcast their honest opinion as it affects the affordability of a catcher they may sign. But, at the same time they cannot tell potential options how long Wieters will be out because nobody knows as of now.

Matt will not be attending the mini-camp. So I guess we can ask him at the end of the month how he is doing.

It is a relatively small list of catchers who have had the procedure at any level. The star of the era is Taylor Teagarden, he appears to have recovered the best. I have no idea how many years it took him.

Teagarden had TJ surgery in November 2005, the year he was drafted. He didn't play any games at C in 2006, but that's not too surprising.

Archived