Orioles Sign Delmon Young - 1 Year Deal

SticksandStones

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it is really that important to get another LH hitting OF/DH type. We already have two LH outfielders in Lough and DeAza. Right now:

C - Wieters, Joseph

1B - Davis

2B - Schoop

3B - Machado

SS - Hardy

COF - Lough, De Aza, Pearce, Young

CF - Jones

UTI - Flaherty

That leaves one spot and there are a lot of choices about how to deploy it.

I don't think it is really that important to get another LH hitting OF/DH type. We already have two LH outfielders in Lough and DeAza. Right now:

C - Wieters, Joseph

1B - Davis

2B - Schoop

3B - Machado

SS - Hardy

CF - Jones

UTI - Flaherty

Given the scarcity of good LHP in the AL East, I'd like to see us pick up another left handed hitter, regardless of position.

C - Wieters, Joseph

1B - Davis

2B - Schoop

3B - Machado

SS - Hardy

CF - Jones

UTI - Flaherty

Against RHP, I could see a LH DH/OF bat being in the DH spot with Pearce/Lough/De Aza being in a COF rotation (based on matchups, park, etc).

I don't care for him as a person and was strongly against a two year deal but I can live with another year.
My issue is purely baseball. He provides no value outside of his hit tool and the tool just really isn't that good. He provides negative value in just about every other respect. He had a nice year I guess, the double in the playoffs was awesome, but, he's not a good baseball player (relative to his peers of course).

C - Wieters, Joseph

1B - Davis

2B - Schoop

3B - Machado

SS - Hardy

CF - Jones

UTI - Flaherty

To start the season, it will probably be a 3rd catcher.

He's a good bench player, and that's how he's being paid. He is a fine pinch hitter, and he can be De Aza's platoon partner in effect (not that he should play LF, but he can DH against lefties while Pearce plays LF).

We still need a RF who can play everyday, but this is a good signing and fills a need.

Archived