Feeling very optimistic about the O's.

33rdst

Come on! I am high on Manny, but those July and August numbers are based on very small sample sizes. Your projection for next year is not totally off, but the numbers you posted are misleading IMO. Manny didn't really play very much in July and August because of suspension and injury. Those numbers are inflated by a super hot couple of weeks.

OK, fair enough, so lets just combine July/August into one 28-game period:

May (27 games): .220/.271/.284

June (27 games): .260/.313/.462

July/Aug. (28 games): .355/.381/.544

I still like that trend line, and as I said before, it's important to remember that Manny didn't have spring training and only played in 3 rehab games in Frederick before returning to the majors in May.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would temper my expectations on Machado even if healthy. I have no concerns about his D but what he did offensively two years ago to me was a bit of a admiration. He led the league in doubles, was .280+ hitter most of the season, and add you mentioned hit the 20 mark in homers. Although he is capable, Im not exactly expecting that good of a year.

Agree with Schoop. Can't wait to see what he looks like this year.

I'm expecting absolutely nothing from Bundy, so anything quid be a plus to me.

Gausman obviously.

Walker, who knows.

Definitely agree with you here. In fact it was a major admiration. I also admired what he did for about a month long stretch at the plate last season too.

I am wildly optimistic about Machado, assuming (as I think is likely) he is able to stay healthy. Just look at his monthly progression last year, remembering that he didn't get to play in spring training and only had about a 3-4 day rehab assignment before returning to the Orioles in May:

May: .220/.271/.284

June: .260/.313/.462

July: .333/.356/.565

August: .378/.429/.511

I mean, the kid was absolutely coming into his own as a hitter IMO. It would not surprise me at all to see him post an .850 OPS with 25 homers. Not that I'm counting on that, but I have very high hopes.

I am with Frobby on this.

I have high hopes for Manny. His progression last year month to month was clearly evident. I look for big things from him should he stay healthy

I believe you mean 1908. (Cubs also won series in '07)

No, I meant 1909.

The Cubs had just won back-to-back World Series in 1907 and 1908, and were going for a 3-peat entering the 1909 season.

On the verge of being a dynasty, little did they know that not only would they not win a 3rd straight world championship, but that they would still be waiting for their next world title more than 100 years later.

Hence, 1909 was thought to be "a defining year" in the Midwest, with all sorts of possibilities and potential.

No, I meant 1909.

The Cubs had just won back-to-back World Series in 1907 and 1908, and were going for a 3-peat entering the 1909 season.

On the verge of being a dynasty, little did they know that not only would they not win a 3rd straight world championship, but that they would still be waiting for their next world title more than 100 years later.

Hence, 1909 was thought to be "a defining year" in the Midwest, with all sorts of possibilities and potential.

Been in Maryland almost 30yrs now so am a full fledged Oriole fan but I grew up in Chicago as a Cubs fan and moved to Maryland at age 16. I spent many a summer in my youth at Wrigley. Its a sad and pathetic existence to be a Cubs fan, the air is thick with defeatism. Hell I knew and call something like Bartman happening, everyone who has ever been a Cubs fan knew that was coming.

Nothing would make me happier in life than a parade in Baltimore for the O's winning a WS championship. I will say however that there is no fan base in baseball more deserving and long suffering than Cubbie fans. So if we happen to be out of play for a championship in a given year and the Cubs are in play, I beg all of you to send winning vibes to the Cubbies

Been in Maryland almost 30yrs now so am a full fledged Oriole fan but I grew up in Chicago as a Cubs fan and moved to Maryland at age 16. I spent many a summer in my youth at Wrigley. Its a sad and pathetic existence to be a Cubs fan, the air is thick with defeatism. Hell I knew and call something like Bartman happening, everyone who has ever been a Cubs fan knew that was coming.

Nothing would make me happier in life than a parade in Baltimore for the O's winning a WS championship. I will say however that there is no fan base in baseball more deserving and long suffering than Cubbie fans. So if we happen to be out of play for a championship in a given year and the Cubs are in play, I beg all of you to send winning vibes to the Cubbies

Since 1989, I have read numerous books, articles, and watched many films on the Black Sox. In fact, I actually called a man named Gardner Stern on the telephone in 1996, just a few years before he died, who lived in Chicago his entire life, and who was 16 years-old at the time of the fix. He actually went to two of the games in that series, and I spoke extensively with him about it (the 1919 World Series.)

Not only did this man (Gardner Stern) go to the games at the 1919 World Series, but he was actually at the first game ever at the original Comiskey Park in 1910. He was 6 and-a-half years old in April of 1910, and he saw the White Sox christen their new stadium.

For me, it's the Orioles first and foremost, the White Sox second, and then everybody else is waaaaaaay down on my love list for baseball teams.

Also, from my own anecdotal experience, White Sox fans whined a moaned a lot less about there "curse" and their World Series drought (1917-2005) than did Red Sox fans (1918-2004), and Cubs fans (1908-present.) I admire that in the White Sox fans (in that they didn't seem to constantly wear their proverbial Red Badge of Courage suffering on their sleeve, as did many Red Sox and Cubs fans.)

Archived