TT: The Orioles should let Duquette walk

Tony-OH

I've kind of stayed out of this for a few reasons, but what the hell, here's my take.

I like and respect Dan Duquette as the GM here and I think he's a big part of our success. I like the fact that he's not afraid to go for it and is willing to move minor league prospects for major league ready talent in an attempt to win year in and year out, not just try to play .500 baseball while hoping every prospect pans out. In addition, I agree with those who say he's under contract and the last time I checked Duquette would expect the Orioles to honor their commitments so I think he should honor his commitment. Afterall, no one forced him to sign that extension.

Now, saying all of that, I'm at the point that it might be best for all parties if Angelos relents and allows Duquette to leave as long as the Orioles receive some kind of significant return from the Blue Jays. Now don't get me wrong, I'd be lying if I didn't want to stick it to the Blue Jays for how they've gone about this especially when you consider the timing of them leaking their interest at the start of the winter meetings. That's just underhanded and although Duquette historically has done very little of significance at the winter meetings while at the Orioles helm, we have no idea how that has affected things this winter. Afterall, if I'm a perspective player and I just watched Duquette allow two of his outfielders to walk out the door and there are rumors about him leaving the organization, maybe I think twice.

Despite this, here's why I think it might be best if he's allowed to leave. First, as much as I respect him for his baseball knowledge, he's not irreplaceable. I think back to when he was hired and no one wanted to come here and work for Angelos and how Angelos decided to take a chance on a guy who had been out of organized baseball. That worked out pretty well. Either way, there are quality baseball men in and out of this organization who just need a chance to show they can lead an organization.

Secondly, speaking of leading an organization, let's not pull any punches. Various sources within the organization have told me there are factions within the warehouse that almost goes back to the Joe Jordan - Dave Stockstill wars. From what I understand, you are either a Duquette guy or a Buck guy. That doesn't mean they don't work together necessarily, but let's not act like the organization is full of harmony. In fact, there's a reason leaks from within the organization have been coming out that some within the organization might not be upset to see Duquette go.

Third, as much as Duquette has done a great job with trying to find talent from all sources, he's a bit of a control freak when it comes to hiring new talent into the organization and doesn't allow others to build their staffs as they see fit. In the minors, there is no cohesion of effort between the coordinators and the local affiliate staffs and players are getting conflicting advice from one level to another or even at the same level when a coordinator shows up out of nowhere and starts tinkering.

From what I was told, one of the problems is that certain guys are Duquette guys and have free reign to do what they want. There has also been some concerns expressed about how hard some of those guys work and if they are causing more problems then they are helping. Considering the lack of development within the system the last few years, it's hard to argue this lack of cohesion has not had a negative affect.

Lastly, why do the Orioles want to keep a guy who wants to leave? Sure, you may point out that Duquette has never said he wants to leave publicly, but what GM doesn't come out and immediately squash these rumors if he wasn't interested? Buck has helped instill a team philosophy throughout the organization. He wants players to be attached to the past, the city and the fans, but what does it say when the GM wants to be elsewhere?

So at the end of the day, I'd like to see the Blue Jays have to pay for poaching the Orioles GM, but I also think it's best for all if Angelos allows it to happen. The organization can only be at it's best when all parties are moving forward in the same manner. The Orioles are lucky to have a guy like Buck Showalter who understands the team concept and it's why so many guys are so loyal to Buck and vice versa. The Orioles deserve a GM with the same mentality.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it is a good thing that DD guys have free reign. They are the ones who turned the ship around. This is why the guy from the Blue Jays didn't want to come here because he didn't think his guys had the decision making abilities throughout the organization. And plenty of players seem to be developing fine.

The leaks are bad. And I am thinking if DD goes these people doing the leaking are going to destroy whatever progress DD has made. I am guessing this means the new pitching coach and bullpen coach last season was DD idea and not Bucks?

Also if the Orioles eventually decide to let DD go it should be after the Blue Jays fill their CEO/GM position. Bad behavior from the Blue Jays and DD should not be rewarded. You can make DD a powerless figurehead if you want.

peaking of leading an organization, let's not pull any punches. Various sources within the organization have told me there are factions within the warehouse that almost goes back to the Joe Jordan - Dave Stockstill wars. From what I understand, you are either a Duquette guy or a Buck guy. That doesn't mean they don't work together necessarily, but let's not act like the organization is full of harmony. In fact, there's a reason leaks from within the organization have been coming out that some within the organization might not be upset to see Duquette go.

Third, as much as Duquette has done a great job with trying to find talent from all sources, he's a bit of a control freak when it comes to hiring new talent into the organization and doesn't allow others to build their staffs as they see fit. In the minors, there is no cohesion of effort between the coordinators and the local affiliate staffs and players are getting conflicting advice from one level to another or even at the same level when a coordinator shows up out of nowhere and starts tinkering.

From what I was told, one of the problems is that certain guys are Duquette guys and have free reign to do what they want. There has also been some concerns expressed about how hard some of those guys work and if they are causing more problems then they are helping. Considering the lack of development within the system the last few years, it's hard to argue this lack of cohesion has had an affect.

Thanks for this information, Tony. Sounds like we are talking about Rick Peterson and maybe Jeff Manto?

Personally, I feel like the player development has been pretty good the last couple of years. Certainly we seem to have a lot of guys who have made contributions to the big league team when they got called up, as opposed to looking like deer in the headlights. And I like the pitching staff we have at Norfolk now.

Duquette ruffled a lot of feathers when he reorganized the scouting staff, but I have to say our pro scouting has gotten good results the last few years, we've done better in Latin America and I think our drafting has been pretty solid.

So, even though I am sure not all in the organization are happy with Duquette, on balance I think the changes he made to the scouting and MiL development staff have been for the better, most of the time.

I've kind of stayed out of this for a few reasons, but what the hell, here's my take.

I like and respect Dan Duquette as the GM here and I think he's a big part of our success. I like the fact that he's not afraid to go for it and is willing to move minor league prospects for major league ready talent in an attempt to win year in and year out, not just try to play .500 baseball while hoping every prospect pans out. In addition, I agree with those who say he's under contract and the last time I checked Duquette would expect the Orioles to honor their commitments so I think he should honor his commitment. Afterall, no one forced him to sign that extension.

Now, saying all of that, I'm at the point that it might be best for all parties if Angelos relents and allows Duquette to leave as long as the Orioles receive some kind of significant return from the Blue Jays. Now don't get me wrong, I'd be lying if I didn't want to stick it to the Blue Jays for how they've gone about this especially when you consider the timing of them leaking their interest at the start of the winter meetings. That's just underhanded and although Duquette historically has done very little of significance at the winter meetings while at the Orioles helm, we have no idea how that has affected things this winter. Afterall, if I'm a perspective player and I just watched Duquette allow two of his outfielders to walk out the door and there are rumors about him leaving the organization, maybe I think twice.

Despite this, here's why I think it might be best if he's allowed to leave. First, as much as I respect him for his baseball knowledge, he's not irreplaceable. I think back to when he was hired and no one wanted to come here and work for Angelos and how Angelos decided to take a chance on a guy who had been out of organized baseball. That worked out pretty well. Either way, there are quality baseball men in and out of this organization who just need a chance to show they can lead an organization.

Secondly, speaking of leading an organization, let's not pull any punches. Various sources within the organization have told me there are factions within the warehouse that almost goes back to the Joe Jordan - Dave Stockstill wars. From what I understand, you are either a Duquette guy or a Buck guy. That doesn't mean they don't work together necessarily, but let's not act like the organization is full of harmony. In fact, there's a reason leaks from within the organization have been coming out that some within the organization might not be upset to see Duquette go.

From what I was told, one of the problems is that certain guys are Duquette guys and have free reign to do what they want. There has also been some concerns expressed about how hard some of those guys work and if they are causing more problems then they are helping. Considering the lack of development within the system the last few years, it's hard to argue this lack of cohesion has not had a negative affect.

Lastly, why do the Orioles want to keep a guy who wants to leave? Sure, you may point out that Duquette has never said he wants to leave publicly, but what GM doesn't come out and immediately squash these rumors if he wasn't interested? Buck has helped instill a team philosophy throughout the organization. He wants players to be attached to the past, the city and the fans, but what does it say when the GM wants to be elsewhere?

So at the end of the day, I'd like to see the Blue Jays have to pay for poaching the Orioles GM, but I also think it's best for all if Angelos allows it to happen. The organization can only be at it's best when all parties are moving forward in the same manner. The Orioles are lucky to have a guy like Buck Showalter who understands the team concept and it's why so many guys are so loyal to Buck and vice versa. The Orioles deserve a GM with the same mentality.

This is a great take, thanks for sharing Tony. Pretty much where I'm at too - I will always appreciate DD for what he did to turn the franchise around, but with all this smoke, I think it's likely that it will turn into fire.

Thanks. I appreciate the opinion and perspective. However, I am aligned with Potter on this one. Namely, either Toronto pays an exorbitant price or Duquette stays and does his daggone job. And if he doesn't do it well or there is any hint in baseball that he is not exerting his maximum efforts, well, I don't think that is going to happen, because then this job would likely be his last in MLB.

Thanks for this information, Tony. Sounds like we are talking about Rick Peterson and maybe Jeff Manto?

Personally, I feel like the player development has been pretty good the last couple of years. Certainly we seem to have a lot of guys who have made contributions to the big league team when they got called up, as opposed to looking like deer in the headlights. And I like the pitching staff we have at Norfolk now.

Duquette ruffled a lot of feathers when he reorganized the scouting staff, but I have to say our pro scouting has gotten good results the last few years, we've done better in Latin America and I think our drafting has been pretty solid.

So, even though I am sure not all in the organization are happy with Duquette, on balance I think the changes he made to the scouting and MiL development staff have been for the better, most of the time.

I think you're confusing signing good depth guys and stashing them at AAA with development. I've praised Duquette and will continue to praise Duquette's ability to use an entire 40-man roster. He does a great job of finding guys who can help a team compete. But what minor league player had a break through and became a top prospect in all of baseball last year? We just had a long discussion over an online publication putting a guy who put up a .577 OPS as the 5th best prospect in the organization. The 3rd best prospect on our list (Sisco) this year is considered a "tweener" by some scouts and although he hit, some scouts were concerned by his lack of development behind the dish as the year progressed. Michael Ohlman? Went backwards? Eduardo Rodriguez? Why the jump in stuff after leaving the organization? Just a few examples of course.

I'm not saying the entire minor league system doesn't have good instructors or coaches, I'm just saying that I've heard that things may not be as smooth as some would like.

As for the professional scouting, I think that has been a strength under Duquette for the most part. Chen and Gonzo are obvious great finds but there have also been Urrutia, Yoon, and Wada. Too early to tell about Alvarez though he has as many detractors as supporters amongst scouts.

Remember, this article was not to bash Duquette, it was to just say that he's not infallible or irreplaceable. I've been a supporter of Duquette and have given him props and will continue to do so if he stays because he does bring some skills to the position, but I'd rather have a guy who wants to be here than someone who wants to be elsewhere.

The next to the last paragraph captures my sentiment. After what has happened over the past two months how can Dan Duquette stand in front of his season ticket holders at fanfast and speak with any sense of credibility regarding the greatness of the Orioles past, his commitment to the Oriole way, and his affection for the Orioles, the fans or the city? In contrast, since he stepped into the clubhouse Buck has not only preached about the need to make a commitment to the Orioles past,present and future, he has practiced it. His actions have always reflected this commitment, whether it was involvement with community, activily seeking out and engaging directly with past oriole players or the sincere and genuine appreciation he has shown for the support of the fan base. Buck has tried to become an Oriole and succeeded. Dan either doesn't get this or choses not to. Simply put we're a stop on his career path.

Considering the lack of development within the system the last few years, it's hard to argue this lack of cohesion has not had a negative affect.

Pretty strong statement, Tony. I am curious for some examples. I have seen some good progress (Christian Walker) and some not so good (Adrian Marin) but not enough of one or the other to make such a strong statement. I have heard enough from Buck to know that he is not a Rick Peterson guy but I can't say that pitching in our system hasn't progressed over the last couple of years.

Ohlman took gigantic steps back last year, Sisco did not show much improvement as the year progressed behind the dish (according to some scouts I talked with). How many top MLB prospects lists do you see Walker on? Marin was rushed and hasn't developed, our two top prospects were shut down at the end of the year with arm woes, and can you name me one player that developed into a top 100 MLB prospect last year from within the system? Talk to scouts outside of the organization you will find that very few Orioles prospects get them excited.

Whether this is drafting or development issue remains to be seen, but it's not like the system is inundated with high end talent right now.

The next to the last paragraph captures my sentiment. After what has happened over the past two months how can Dan Duquette stand in front of his season ticket holders at fanfast and speak with any sense of credibility regarding the greatness of the Orioles past, his commitment to the Oriole way, and his affection for the Orioles, the fans or the city? In contrast, since he stepped into the clubhouse Buck has not only preached about the need to make a commitment to the Orioles past,present and future, he has practiced it. His actions have always reflected this commitment, whether it was involvement with community, activily seeking out and engaging directly with past oriole players or the sincere and genuine appreciation he has shown for the support of the fan base. Buck has tried to become an Oriole and succeeded. Dan either doesn't get this or choses not to. Simply put we're a stop on his career path.

Actions speak louder than words!

I think you're confusing signing good depth guys and stashing them at AAA with development. I've praised Duquette and will continue to praise Duquette's ability to use an entire 40-man roster. He does a great job of finding guys who can help a team compete. But what minor league player had a break through and became a top prospect in all of baseball last year? We just had a long discussion over an online publication putting a guy who put up a .577 OPS as the 5th best prospect in the organization. The 3rd best prospect on our list (Sisco) this year is considered a "tweener" by some scouts and although he hit, some scouts were concerned by his lack of development behind the dish as the year progressed. Michael Ohlman? Went backwards? Eduardo Rodriguez? Why the jump in stuff after leaving the organization? Just a few examples of course.

I'm not saying the entire minor league system doesn't have good instructors or coaches, I'm just saying that I've heard that things may not be as smooth as some would like.

As for the professional scouting, I think that has been a strength under Duquette for the most part. Chen and Gonzo are obvious great finds but there have also been Urrutia, Yoon, and Wada. Too early to tell about Alvarez though he has as many detractors as supporters amongst scouts.

Remember, this article was not to bash Duquette, it was to just say that he's not infallible or irreplaceable. I've been a supporter of Duquette and have given him props and will continue to do so if he stays because he does bring some skills to the position, but I'd rather have a guy who wants to be here than someone who wants to be elsewhere.

Wada was injured his time here. He seems to have done well with Cubs last season. Urrutia was out of baseball for two years basically and was a bargain signing. Don't know much about Yoon but I am guessing we didn't spend much money on him either.

Guest rochester

Been anxiously waiting for this. Thanks!

I have no problem with DD leaving but the way Toronto and DD handled it - talking without permission IMO - leaking it before the winter meetings, etc. Although there are excellent reasons not to - I wonder if (at least) Nick would have been back.

Angelos has already said that he would let DD interview if compensation could be agreed upon, so the next move is up the Blue Jays, not the Orioles. After all this buildup, it would be ironic if Duquette turned down the job, just as Tony LaCava turned down the O's when he interviewed.

Wow, so disappointing to hear that there still is a disconnect in instruction at various levels and in regard to overall organizational philosophy.

This was a known problem (thanks in part to your articles on the subject) a decade ago, and I had really hoped that it wasn't the case any more. It seemed like we had brought in guys like Brady and Bordick and Peterson to create an overall cohesive organizational strategy, at least that was what I believed. I had thought that under Duquette we had gotten more consistent in that area.

I think your take makes a lot of sense, and I agree with your overall conclusion. I also think you made a good point about not confusing finding AAAA guys who can help us with developing the younger talent. Still, I wouldn't say I am too disappointed with how our players have developed.

I'd certainly see Sisco as more of a positive than a negative. I think the staff has to get some credit for how his hitting progressed; I don't think we were expecting him to lead the Sally League in batting. Overall he is a better prospect today than a year ago.

I will concede you Rodriguez and Ohlman, although if Dan's group gets blame for a year of stagnation don't they also get the credit for the previous two years of development?

Overall, I think among position players Walker and Yaz stand out as guys who have performed better than you would have thought based on their draft status. Davies, Berry, Wilson, Harvey and most of the guys who started last year at Delmarva seem to have progressed nicely. Off the top of my head, besides EdRod's disappointing year only Mike Wright really disappointed me. I was very critical of the way Gausman was yo-yoed back and forth in 2013, but he survived it and made a solid contribution in 2014.

Considering the number of prospects and draft picks Duquette has traded away, and the fact that we have been drafting in the bottom half of the round the last two years, I feel like the system is in decent shape. Not spectacular, but decent.

The bottom line is winning at the major league level.

1. The O's didn't win for 14 years before DD arrived and they have won the last three years with him.

2. It took Peter Angelos 22 years be find a VP of Baseball Operation that he liked and that could win. It will probably be very hard to find that combination again.

3. I think DD has demonstrated that he would like a promotion and raise if it offered to him. I don't blame DD for that. He hasn't shown that needs to be in Toronto. If the O's offer something attractive he would probably be glad to stay.

All the internal back story is minutiae to me. The O's are producing winners under DD. That is the bottom line to me.

Archived