TT: The Orioles should let Duquette walk

Tony-OH

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, maybe just give that RSN to the Nats. It's nothing but trouble for us the way it is. Causes unrest.

I doubt that is the right solution.

I really feel for Peter here because I do believe he is legally right but being bullied by MLB to do what they want.

I hope Pete does not back down were the RSN is concerned.

I doubt that is the right solution.

I really feel for Peter here because I do believe he is legally right but being bullied by MLB to do what they want.

I hope Pete does not back down were the RSN is concerned.

You are right. It's Baltimore's team. Plenty of reason to have a chip on their shoulder.

For the life of me I can't understand people knocking Dan because of an opportunity he might be interested in. Who among us wouldn't do the same? If there's someone here that would pass up a huge raise, a much larger stake in a company, and increased responsibility, speak up.

Anyone?

That's what I thought.

In professional sports, contracts are renegotiated and bought out on a regular occurrence. It's a business.

This isn't a matter of Dan not wanting to be here. This isn't a matter of him looking longingly out his window to the north. The oportunity has arisen because another team has take notice of the exceptional manner in which he has performed his job. He's done a phenomenal job (with Buck) and now he has caught the attention of another franchise that wants to give him increased responsibilities and pay him a buttload of money.

On a different but related front, I'm pretty happy with the state of the franchise. I think there are some real interesting players to watch this year. As Frobby alluded, Duquette hasn't had the 'luxury' of having high draft picks! But still players like Walker, Alvarez, Yaz, Sisco, Reyes, Diaz, and Gonzales show a lot of promise and intrigue. I think the team has done well in the position they've been in.

I'd love nothing more than to see Duquette stay put. But I don't wish him any ill will if that doesn't happen. He's earned the right and it's just business. Contract or no contract.

There are many opportunities in life. Who wouldn't sleep with a woman more beautiful than his wife? Who wouldn't keep a payroll error in his benefit? Who wouldn't betray a confidence if material gain or some less tangible advantage were guaranteed?

Anyone?

That's what I thought.

:rolleyes:

There are many opportunities in life. Who wouldn't sleep with a woman more beautiful than his wife? Who wouldn't keep a payroll error in his benefit? Who wouldn't betray a confidence if material gain or some less tangible advantage were guaranteed?

Anyone?

That's what I thought.

Oh please! If you can't tell the difference in the things you brought up with DD's situation there's no need for me to even bother.

That ship has likely sailed. I have a hard time believing that the DD-PA relationship would ever be what it once was after this fiasco.

Thinking it would be is just not understanding PA as person. That is not a slam but Peter is a proud man who values loyalty and ethics. At the very least his pride has to be smarting, he can't be viewing DD as all that loyal (though I think DD has good reason to want the job).

Its sad but I doubt that relationship would last even if DD did stay.

We have no idea what PA and DD have talked about. We don't know that their relationship has been damaged at all. Just because Dan is not talking to the press about this subject does not mean he is not talking to PA.

We have no idea what PA and DD have talked about. We don't know that their relationship has been damaged at all. Just because Dan is not talking to the press about this subject does not mean he is not talking to PA.

We don't even know if they have spoken. At all. Or even if they normally do.

I don't think there is any great relationship between DD and PA to begin with. It's between Buck and PA. I don't think much will have changed. Certainly DD is smart enough to realize that he wouldn't be free to negotiate with TOR unless there were adequate compensation. If that is not the case then I am confident the can continue to do the fine job he has been doing for the tem of his contract. He is an adult, a pro, and he likes his current job.

Where does this stuff come from? PA and DD agreed on a 5 year contract. They had to have a pretty good relationship for that to happen. Under DD's guidance the O's won the AL East for the first time in 17 years. There no reason to believe that DD does not have a great relationship with PA.

I kinda figure the Orioles will be fine without DD. They still have bright minds in this organization.

My concern is that the Orioles are going to find themselves as a Pinata for MLB to mess with so long as this MASN thing drags out.

We still have Buck. Buck had a big part in hiring DD and has more power than a normal coach. We just need someone to keep the seat warm for Buck then he can slide into the GM spot after we win a WS.

We still have Buck. Buck had a big part in hiring DD and has more power than a normal coach. We just need someone to keep the seat warm for Buck then he can slide into the GM spot after we win a WS.

:agree:

Be it Buck or someone else I am sure the Orioles will survive the post DD era and continue to thrive IMO

Guest rochester
For the life of me I can't understand people knocking Dan because of an opportunity he might be interested in. Who among us wouldn't do the same? If there's someone here that would pass up a huge raise, a much larger stake in a company, and increased responsibility, speak up.

Anyone?

That's what I thought.

In professional sports, contracts are renegotiated and bought out on a regular occurrence. It's a business.

This isn't a matter of Dan not wanting to be here. This isn't a matter of him looking longingly out his window to the north. The oportunity has arisen because another team has take notice of the exceptional manner in which he has performed his job. He's done a phenomenal job (with Buck) and now he has caught the attention of another franchise that wants to give him increased responsibilities and pay him a buttload of money.

On a different but related front, I'm pretty happy with the state of the franchise. I think there are some real interesting players to watch this year. As Frobby alluded, Duquette hasn't had the 'luxury' of having high draft picks! But still players like Walker, Alvarez, Yaz, Sisco, Reyes, Diaz, and Gonzales show a lot of promise and intrigue. I think the team has done well in the position they've been in.

I'd love nothing more than to see Duquette stay put. But I don't wish him any ill will if that doesn't happen. He's earned the right and it's just business. Contract or no contract.

Me.... if I was under contract that states another company would have to get permission to discuss a position with me, and they did anyway, I would not continue that discussion until they sought and received permission. There is actually some thought to just taking a new position with gobs more money, increased responsibility and a larger stake in the company (where did that come from)? I have been blessed with a career that has allowed me to lead small and big companies and, frankly, would hesitate moving to a company that doesn't have enough respect for me to put me in the position the BJs have put DD in with his current employer.

Saying all that, I completely agree with most everything else...

Me.... if I was under contract that states another company would have to get permission to discuss a position with me, and they did anyway, I would not continue that discussion until they sought and received permission. There is actually some thought to just taking a new position with gobs more money, increased responsibility and a larger stake in the company (where did that come from)? I have been blessed with a career that has allowed me to lead small and big companies and, frankly, would hesitate moving to a company that doesn't have enough respect for me to put me in the position the BJs have put DD in with his current employer.

Saying all that, I completely agree with most everything else...

Then again if they respect you enough to pay you millions of dollars more per year with likely a great deal more long term job security (considering the guy who held the job before has been there over 30yrs) you may be willing to overlook a few transgressions?

Don't sign a contract if you're not going to honour it. I hate this bs about it "being a promotion, so let him have it." No, screw that. The only way you should get out of a contract is if the owner of said contract allows you to do so, not stupid BS unwritten (vaguely written) rule. I hate it in the NFL, and I hate it in MLB. And anywhere else.

Archived