Camden Depot: Two New Developments In MASN Dispute

weams

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem no matter what for us O's fans and the Orioles franchise is that Peter Angelos owns the Orioles and MASN. The Orioles do not own MASN. So when Peter Angelos no longer owns the Orioles, there is not necessarily a connection between the fortunes of MASN and the fortunes of the Orioles. Peter has negotiated a good deal for the Orioles vis-a-vis the revenue stream of the whole MASN broadcast area for AS LONG AS HE OWNS both.

That is the long term problem. When he passes, are both the Orioles and whatever ownership fraction Peter has in MASN transferred together? Who knows? I don't give a f#@# that Peter negotiates a $Billion dollar settlement on this. That doesn't necessarily give the O's a single dime. I care about the Orioles, not Peter Angelos. So as long as Peter owns both, and it's possible that the rewards of MASN ownership benefit the Orioles, great. (But) otherwise, I'm for any policy that best protects the interests of the Orioles. To me that isn't tied to what is best to Peter Angelos very tightly.

The problem no matter what for us O's fans and the Orioles franchise is that Peter Angelos owns the Orioles and MASN. The Orioles do not own MASN. So when Peter Angelos no longer owns the Orioles, there is not necessarily a connection between the fortunes of MASN and the fortunes of the Orioles. Peter has negotiated a good deal for the Orioles vis-a-vis the revenue stream of the whole MASN broadcast area for AS LONG AS HE OWNS both.

That is the long term problem. When he passes, are both the Orioles and whatever ownership fraction Peter has in MASN transferred together? Who knows? I don't give a f#@# that Peter negotiates a $Billion dollar settlement on this. That doesn't necessarily give the O's a single dime. I care about the Orioles, not Peter Angelos. So as long as Peter owns both, and it's possible that the rewards of MASN ownership benefit the Orioles, great. (But) otherwise, I'm for any policy that best protects the interests of the Orioles. To me that isn't tied to what is best to Peter Angelos very tightly.

I understand (and used to share your concern) that separating the ownership of the Orioles and MASN would be harmful to the Orioles. The RSDC preliminary decision and recent local TV contracts (like that given to San Diego) hint that MASN is shorting the Os (and Nats) tens of millions of $s since 2012 - so the opposite appears to be happening.

Os/MASN ownership prefers to pocket MASN profits and reduce revenue sharing with other MLB teams (through artificially lower local TV rights allocations) such that the Os are missing out on a potentially powerful revenue stream other franchises are increasingly cashing in on. It seems increasingly apparent that what is best for the competitiveness of the Orioles is not aligned with what is best for the ownership of MASN.

I understand (and used to share your concern) that separating the ownership of the Orioles and MASN would be harmful to the Orioles. The RSDC preliminary decision and recent local TV contracts (like that given to San Diego) hint that MASN is shorting the Os (and Nats) tens of millions of $s since 2012 - so the opposite appears to be happening.

Os/MASN ownership prefers to pocket MASN profits and reduce revenue sharing with other MLB teams (through artificially lower local TV rights allocations) such that the Os are missing out on a potentially powerful revenue stream other franchises are increasingly cashing in on. It seems increasingly apparent that what is best for the competitiveness of the Orioles is not aligned with what is best for the ownership of MASN.

That's helpful, thank you. I guess I'd still rather take my chances on the owner of both the Orioles and MASN maximizing the resources for the benefit of the Orioles - whether that goes through the channel from MASN to the Orioles or through the channel from MASN to ownership to the Orioles (ie, not through a channel that MLB can in any way effect). Peter hasn't chosen to maximize the situation for the benefit of the Orioles. Some other owner might.

Archived