Camden Depot: Two New Developments In MASN Dispute

weams

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone would like to get a quick handle on the value of MASN and its economics should have a look at this exhibit to Rob Manfred's recent affidavit in the MASN case: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=z96oSEzRboe6dcUxQ60Cfg== This is a document prepared by MLB to compare the economics under the RSDC's initial ruling (not yet formalized) with the economics under a proposed media deal where 30% of MASN would have been sold by the Orioles to a media company for $216 mm (implying the valuation of MASN was $720 mm), seemingly prepared to persuade the Orioles to explore the sale option.

The interesting thing to me is the projected revenue growth under any scenario. Under the RSDC case, the Orioles (and Nats) would get $63 mm in rights fees in 2015, but that would grow to $141 mm by 2032. About 1/3 of the rights fees are payable to MLB under the revenue sharing rules, so the net is $42 mm in 2015 and $95 mm by 2032. Meanwhile, profits distributions to the Orioles (from their equity share of MASN, separate from the rights fees) were projected to be $20 mm in 2015, $37 mm by 2032. I'll confess I don't really understand the details of the proposed deal to sell 30% of MASN, except that the initial sale was 30% and eventually the media company would own 51% by 2032.

Not to mention the cheapest MLB.TV option is like $20 a month. It's so overpriced and entices a lot of people to find places that stream it for free.

I think 5 dollars a week, or 110 dollars for a season is a very good value.

Not to mention the cheapest MLB.TV option is like $20 a month. It's so overpriced and entices a lot of people to find places that stream it for free.

$20 a month seems cheap to me, but the problem is that if you live in the Orioles territory (MD, DC, VA, NC) O's games are blacked out on MLB.tv, even if your cable company doesn't carry MASN.

They get blacked out here whenever they play the Yankees, Mets, Phillies, and Pirates...plus DirecTV doesn't carry CSN Philly so that takes those games out.

It's too much to pay when there are free options.

I only miss Rays games (and honestly the Rays announcers aren't bad) so for me it makes sense.

MLB.TV Premium is $129.99 per year (same as 2014) and includes a free subscription to At Bat so you can watch games on 400+ connected devices. I think it's a great value.

Basic MLB.TV is $109.99 per year (same as 2014).

Thrown in the cost of what you are already paying for your monthly cable bill, and some are us, are at the point, yes, we can afford more, but it's a matter or principle, enough is enough.

And why would I pay to see teams in other markets? The whole point of having it is lost when you can't see the team you want to the most. I guess eventually enough people will drop cable and baseball will be forced to let you buy the rights to see every team.

Archived