1. 1. Who's the DH vs RHP?

• Chris Davis
    • Alejandro De Aza
    • Steve Pearce
    • Travis Snider
    • Matt Wieters
    • There will be a rotation
    • Sit down -- Bayleaf's got this

So do you play Snider in LF over De Aza? Is his bat that much better? I think not. He's a role player in case one of these guys struggle or Delmon needs help at DH.

I think Snider is the everyday RFer. Here's Dan on the subject:

"Travis Snider is a top draft pick and looks to me like he's just coming into his own,"

and

He's a good defensive player.

and

He could very well develop into an everyday ballplayer.

and

I like his age, I like the way he profiles in our ballpark, I like the way he plays defense and I like his over-the-fence power.

and

If you look at his record, the number of pitches that he sees, he'll be our most selective hitter. And toward the end of last year, he lowered his strikeouts and increased his walks, which leads me to believe he's really on his way to being a good major league hitter.

He doesn't come right out and say it, but I think DD thinks Snider is the answer to Markakis as the everyday right fielder.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said the numbers back up your contention that Pearce might be the better defender in RF. I do not believe that Snider was acquired to be a "role" player. At the very least, I expect him to be getting regular AB's against RHP, whether that be in RF/DH/LF. I'm not sure what Buck will do but I would not be suprised at all if Snider gets those AB's in RF.
I would, as much a stickler for defense as Buck is he is not playing the lesser defender and lesser hitter there.

I think Snider is the everyday RFer. Here's Dan on the subject:

and

and

and

and

He doesn't come right out and say it, but I think DD thinks Snider is the answer to Markakis as the everyday right fielder.

No, he doesn't, he says Snider could develop into an every day player, he doesn't say he is one now. Role player until he shows something like Pearce did last year.

What's your definition of a role player. The way David Lough was used after May? The left handed half of a platoon?
Steve Pearce last year. He got his chance and made the most of it. Hopefully Snider will to but he is not starting over Pearce, Delmon, or De Aza OD.

Life has me busy, so I haven't been able to be on this board as much as I had in the past.

I just gotta ask...why are we assuming that Davis will be our 1B and Pearce primarily an OF? My eye test (not researched at all for metrics) shows that Pearce is a very good 1B and Davis a pretty darn good RF. Assuming Lough isn't part of the every day crowd, that's the main defensive alignment I'd want. From the data I did see, it looks like Snider fits more as the DH than either Pearce or Davis.

Am I wrong?

Snider is the actual outfielder of the three. All could play there. But Snider is a good - real - outfielder. Like we have been used to.

Buck on the subject of Travis' role:

"Travis Snider's going to play right field, left field and maybe DH a little bit," Showalter said. "He's only 27 years old. He's under control not only this year, but next year, so it's like getting a player that's very affordable, which allows us to do some other things. It's also a great tribute to our farm system that develops players to the point where we can trade them.

"I think Travis will play as much as he lets me play him. In other words, if you play better, you play more. That's how it works here.

"Somebody comes in and says, 'Buck, boy, if you played me more, I'd play better.' I say, 'Son, if you played better I'd play you more.' "

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/01/leftovers-for-breakfast-35.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Agree to disagree. He will be in the lineup, at the very least, against all RH starting pitching to start the season. Whether that's RF or DH, I don't know. Guess we'll see.
He'll start OD because Pearce will be playing 1B and it's a RHP. After we'll see.

Archived