1. 1. Who's the DH vs RHP?

• Chris Davis
    • Alejandro De Aza
    • Steve Pearce
    • Travis Snider
    • Matt Wieters
    • There will be a rotation
    • Sit down -- Bayleaf's got this

You aren't starting Snyder over Pearce. And Pearce isn' a bad OF, so it is silly to make him a primary DH. Delmon's the better fit there.

Delmon's flukey BABIP spike landed him a 120 wRC+. The peripherals would say he's headed for regression. Snider's peripherals look better and he had a 121 wRC+ last year. Snider's numbers show some upside potential and power potential that Young doesn't have, plus he has an idea of where the strike zone is. I'd much rather give Snyder more at bats than Young.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Delmon's flukey BABIP spike landed him a 120 wRC+. The peripherals would say he's headed for regression. Snider's peripherals look better and he had a 121 wRC+ last year. Snider's numbers show some upside potential and power potential that Young doesn't have, plus he has an idea of where the strike zone is. I'd much rather give Snider more at bats than Young.

So will Buck and would any good manager. Delmon is a useful piece. I am glad we retained him. Left handed bats that are good against right handers are valuable. Because, there are more right handers.

Delmon's flukey BABIP spike landed him a 120 wRC+. The peripherals would say he's headed for regression. Snider's peripherals look better and he had a 121 wRC+ last year. Snider's numbers show some upside potential and power potential that Young doesn't have, plus he has an idea of where the strike zone is. I'd much rather give Snyder more at bats than Young.
You give Delmon a chance to struggle before you start platooning him based on last year. Most likely he will.

Of Pearce, Snider and De Aza, De Aza has the best glove followed by Pearce, followed by Snider. It makes most sense to have Snider platoon with Delmon at DH most of the time. Actually though SSS, De Aza's best position is RF and Pearce's is LF. Snider's poorest position is RF. He OK in LF.

Of Pearce, Snider and De Aza, De Aza has the best glove followed by Pearce, followed by Snider. It makes most sense to have Snider platoon with Delmon at DH most of the time. Actually though SSS, De Aza's best position is RF and Pearce's is LF. Snider's poorest position is RF. He OK in LF.

I thought De Aza was strong with the glove but had a fairly weak arm? Am I wrong on this?

Based on last year, Snider was better.
302 .337 .442 .779 to .264 .338 .438 .776 ??? Right I can just see Buck sitting Delmon down and saying "Yes Delmon I know you hit well against both LH and RH pitching but you had a flukey BABIP and your career numbers say you won't this year, and besides Snider had a better year last season, even to the numbers don't say so, so I'm playing Snider. :rolleyestf:

302 .337 .442 .779 to .264 .338 .438 .776 ??? Right I can just see Buck sitting Delmon down and saying "Yes Delmon I know you hit well against both LH and RH pitching but you had a flukey BABIP and your career numbers say you won't this year, and besides Snider had a better year last season, even to the numbers don't say so, so I'm playing Snider. :rolleyestf:

Technically, if you adjust for ballpark, Snider had a 121 wRC+ and Delmon was 120. They were very close but Snider is a better bet to repeat that number than Delmon is.

I thought De Aza was strong with the glove but had a fairly weak arm? Am I wrong on this?

De Aza has a pretty horrible arm. He's fast, but not fast enough to play CF full-time, and has no business in RF. He has 227 innings in RF in his major league career. He's basically restricted to LF only, with the ability to cover the other spots in a pinch. Fortunately, he looks like a pretty good LF, where his arm doesn't hurt him much and his speed plays up.

De Aza has a pretty horrible arm. He's fast, but not fast enough to play CF full-time, and has no business in RF. He has 227 innings in RF in his major league career. He's basically restricted to LF only, with the ability to cover the other spots in a pinch. Fortunately, he looks like a pretty good LF, where his arm doesn't hurt him much and his speed plays up.

De Aza's arm plays better in left. He is nowhere as bad as Nate McLouth was.

Technically, if you adjust for ballpark, Snider had a 121 wRC+ and Delmon was 120. They were very close but Snider is a better bet to repeat that number than Delmon is.

Exactly this. Ballparks are not created equal and the peripherals say one is much more likely to repeat a comparably productive line (in more plate appearances).

Why would you give him the chance to show that his first 3700 MLB PAs were more indicative of talent than the last 250? Why not just assume what is almost certain?

vs RHP, 2956 PA, .276/.307/.407, .714 OPS

vs LHP, 1235 PA, .302/.338/.467, .806 OPS

Dude's a ringer for lefties, so I agree with you. But at least he's not completely lost against righties. And there is a dearth of left handed pitching in the AL East so, he'll probably get a number of PA against righties. Last year he had 168 PA vs RHP and only 87 vs LHP.

For me though, I just hope he enjoys playing for Baltimore and being in shape to do it. That appears to make a big difference for him.

Archived