1. 1. Who's the DH vs RHP?

• Chris Davis
    • Alejandro De Aza
    • Steve Pearce
    • Travis Snider
    • Matt Wieters
    • There will be a rotation
    • Sit down -- Bayleaf's got this

and Pearce to the bench? Snider actually hits lefties better than righties and Pearce hits everyone better than Young.

What I'd like to see Snider and Lough on the corners with Pearce at DH. De Aza traded to another team. Lough is the better player and the more valuable piece moving forward. I don't suspect that is what will happen.

Does Lough have options? Also, who is Bayleaf? Is that Flaherty?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and Pearce to the bench? Snider actually hits lefties better than righties and Pearce hits everyone better than Young.

What I'd like to see Snider and Lough on the corners with Pearce at DH. De Aza traded to another team. Lough is the better player and the more valuable piece moving forward.

Snider hit lefties better last season, in a small sample size because the Pirates didn't use him much against lefties, only those that matched up well with him. Overall his numbers are better vs RHP and I expect that to stay the same. He will probably continue to get PA against LHP that he matches up with.

Similar to Delmon Young really.

I think Pearce is primary, but it is a rotation of sorts.

I think against RHP: you have DeAza/Jones/Snider left to right with Pearce DHing (though occasionally playing LF, RF or 1B to give someone a half-day off).

Against LHP: I think you go with DeAza/Jones/Pearce left to right with Young DHing (though I think Snider could play and DeAza could sit from time to time)

Snider hit lefties better last season, in a small sample size because the Pirates didn't use him much against lefties, only those that matched up well with him. Overall his numbers are better vs RHP and I expect that to stay the same. He will probably continue to get PA against LHP that he matches up with.

Fair enough. It still didn't make sense to bench Pearce in favor of Delmon in any situation. Delmon Young was not as good of a hitter last year as either Pearce or Snider even with a completely unsustainable .359 BABIP and he can't defend. Non-existant discipline and middling power limit his upside to basically what he was last year. He should not be inline for full time at bats.

Fair enough. It still didn't make sense to bench Pearce in favor of Delmon in any situation. Delmon Young was not as good of a hitter last year as either Pearce or Snider even with a completely unsustainable .359 BABIP and he can't defend. Non-existant discipline and middling power limit his upside to basically what he was last year. He should not be inline for full time at bats.

I like Young in a role as a primary PH with DH time against LHP (with Pearce playing elsewhere). I think the Snider deal helps allow him to do just that.

Although I agree that Snider has better career splits against RHP, I still think he will be the starter in RF against LHP. Mainly because De Aza and Lough are even worse against LHP.

I voted for Snider, but really Delmon has to be one of the options. He didn't have any platoon issues last season.

Delmon has a .715 career OPS against righties, and much of his career was before .715 was an acceptable OPS for anyone. Even today, a .715 OPS as a DH is replacement level. With all the left-handed-batting corner players floating around the O's roster I see no reason to play Delmon against righties more than very occasionally.

I think DH will be a pretty straightforward platoon of Young against lefties and pick one of Snider/Lough/De Aza against righties.

As asked the answer is definitely "There will be a rotation" because Buck will always be mixing and matching depending on health, hot hand, etc.

But I'd bet the most common LF/RF/DH combo is DeAza/Snider/Pearce against RHPs and Snider/Pearce/Young against LHP.

Snider and Pearce have never been every day players. I don't think they both play most games this year.

Archived