Davis thinks his poor performance was due to an injury

wildcard

Here's a question about Chris Davis in 2015 that intrigues me.

Chris is one of the LH sluggers most affected by defensive shifting. Assume that, through intensive work in the off-season and ST, he becomes a proficient bunter. Obviously, I have no idea how good a bunter Chris Davis can be. I think that he potentially would be better than most other LH "shift hitters," who are older and less athletic. I also think that learning to be successful at "shift-bunting," which always calls for pushing the ball hard toward 3B, should be easier than conventional bunting, requiring that the ball be deadened and directed in different ways depending on the situation.

While his ability to shift-bunt will vary with the pitcher and how he's pitched, let's say Chris proves he can do that for a .650 BA (almost all singles with a few doubles thrown in) Since he would walk a little, when he bunts against the shift he has an OBP of .700 and also slugs .700. (If you don't like my numbers, make up your own.) How long would it take, and how high would those numbers have to be, for opposing managers to call off the extreme shift, by which I mean having four infielders, one somewhere near 3B) in the early innings of a tie game, with (a) no outs and nobody on, and (b) a man on third and one out? :scratchchinhmm:

No way, no how, is he going to bunt at a .650 clip even against the shift.

Won't happen.

Billy Hamilton ain't bunting .650 against the shift.

I think that before they stop shifting they will start throwing him one high and tight and start throwing more first pitch breaking balls.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a huge Davis fan, and I believe he can rebound. As to last year, Chris often looked lost at the plate. His approach simply seemed to lack focus at times, but even when I thought he had worked the ab to his favor, physically he would often simply fail to perform when he got what he wanted. Physical...mental..both...chicken or egg? Let's just hope for better results.

Last year, with the bases empty Davis hit .184/.275/.380.

In order to match a .656 OPS while bunting, he would need to be successful 32.8% of the time. .328/.328/.328. That seems doable to me.

The idea of getting rid of the shift in response to its success is ridiculous to me. The hitters need to adjust. Having the league step in is like having your mom argue with your college professor about your grade.

Last year, with the bases empty Davis hit .184/.275/.380.

In order to match a .656 OPS while bunting, he would need to be successful 32.8% of the time. .328/.328/.328. That seems doable to me.

The idea of getting rid of the shift in response to its success is ridiculous to me. The hitters need to adjust. Having the league step in is like having your mom argue with your college professor about your grade.

Until he breaks his hand in July.

I would rather he choke up and try and punch it through the hole then actually bunt. Of course a mixture of approaches would probably work best.

Archived