O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cabrera is going to have to show he can play 3B if he wants to take Flaherty's UIF spot. I think this really puts pressure on Schoop to hit better.

Schoop, Davis, and even Pearce can backup third base. Having said that, Flaherty can also play outfield. I believe that it is possible that DD may be working on a trade that might include either DeAza, Lough, or maybe even Flaherty. Just connecting the dots on some of the recent activity.

That's because Flaherity really sucks. He's lazy, he can't hit at all. That's why.

What? Lazy? Where is that coming from?

Also, as has been discussed as nauseum on here... Flaherty is a utility infielder with a decent bat relative to his position (2b/3b). If he could ops .700 he would be starting somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find this an odd signing for a team that is supposedly broke. 2. 4 million here, 3 million there starts to add up to "real" baseball money.

Who said we were broke? If that is your assumption based on us not resigning Cruz or Markakis than I think you need to rethink things. We have money, not much money, but enough to have been able to afford both of them on our terms/yrs. We did not value Cruz and Markakis as highly as some others and lost them to another guaranteed year on their contracts.

2.4 million is nothing for a guy who is a former all-star, who also will create competition, has an option, creates depth, and can play SS/2nd/OF.

Seems like a typical DD move and these type of things usually pay off for us. I'd be a little worried about his character issues if we didn't have the type of clubhouse that we have today. Jones, Hardy, Buck won't let anything affect the culture they have instilled throughout the organization.

I find this an odd signing for a team that is supposedly broke. 2. 4 million here, 3 million there starts to add up to "real" baseball money.

Not sure broke has ever been claimed. Unable to make the mistakes of a NYY or LAA, that is a whole different thing entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schoop, Davis, and even Pearce can backup third base. Having said that, Flaherty can also play outfield. I believe that it is possible that DD may be working on a trade that might include either DeAza, Lough, or maybe even Flaherty. Just connecting the dots on some of the recent activity.

With Schoop, Flaherty and Cabrera all having options I don't think Cabrera's signing means a trade. The trades will come from all the relievers the O's have including Matusz and Webb. Or maybe if Reimold and Alvarez have a good springs Lough goes on the market.

Schoop looked terrible at 3B last year. Pearce is a emergency kind of replacement at 3B. Davis can play 3B but not as well as Flaherty. I think they want to keep Davis at 1B. After Manny, Flaherty is the preferred replacement at 3B.

This year's Nelson Cruz? Wait for the market to drop until late in the offseason. Discount for PED and "attitude problems". Apparently if you are white and have long hair you can get busted for weed and be a fan favorite in SF. But if you have a Latin name in SD you have attitude problems. This guy has every incentive to focus and put up a monster year. I would take .260/.335/.650 with 30 SB from our leadoff spot over anything De Aza or Schoop is likely to produce.

Schoop is sort of likely to put up >20 HRs this year. I think people need to look at his potential more than his rookie season.

Schoop looked terrible at 3B last year. Pearce is a emergency kind of replacement at 3B. Davis can play 3B but not as well as Flaherty. I think they want to keep Davis at 1B. After Manny, Flaherty is the preferred replacement at 3B.

Schoop played sparingly at 3B and people got down on him. In time, he turned into an excellent 2B. There's absolutely no reason to expect that, given a little time, Schoop couldn't also be an excellent 3B. I think your comment ignores the sample size.

Schoop is sort of likely to put up >20 HRs this year. I think people need to look at his potential more than his rookie season.

Schoop played sparingly at 3B and people got down on him. In time, he turned into an excellent 2B. There's absolutely no reason to expect that, given a little time, Schoop couldn't also be an excellent 3B. I think your comment ignores the sample size.

My comment is correct. Schoop was terrible at 3B last year. I didn't say anything about how much he played or if he could be better in the future with more practice. I simply stated the truth.

Archived