PressBoxOnline: Everth Cabrera Brought in to be Everyday Leadoff Hitter

weams

Isn't it true that Cabrera has barely played 2nd base? Buck really values Schoop in that position, particularly how he turns the DP. Which I would think would be the hardest part for Cabrera to adjust to. I think Schoop has to have a pretty bad Spring to lose the job.

I agree with you. I think there will be competition at the 2B spot this spring, and that there is no preordained winner.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Everth Cabrera will be at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> 1st workout today and be given every opportunity to earn significant playing time, says O's management.</p>— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="

">February 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I disagree with the author that he would lead off every day. De Aza is still a better option vs. RHP, but Cabrera could see some lead off duties vs. LHP.

I almost spit tea all over my keyboard when I read the title.

The guy had one good year, 2013, and still didn't reach 500 PAs. He isn't a shoe in for anything other his contractually guaranteed salary.

And giving anyone the leadoff spot is asinine. Its not a position, it doesn't matter who bats first. The only relevance is the lead off hitter gets the most plate appearances over the course of the year.

My conclusion, Cabrera is another guy in the Buck-cycle of guys not named Jones, Wieters, Hardy, or Machado. Solid depth, has some upside.

Archived