Hamilton is in big trouble?

Crazysilver03

Ken Rosenthal covers the story:

"The good news for the Angels, if you want to call it that, is that they would not pay Hamilton during a suspension. The Yankees caught the same “break” with Alex Rodriguez last season, and the effect could be similar; the Angels’ savings on Hamilton could amount to millions.

Such talk is inevitable, but also uncomfortable. We are talking about a human being, not to mention the 2010 American League MVP. Hamilton’s story previously served as a stirring example of what recovering addicts could accomplish. Now it could turn out to be yet another crushing story about the horrors of addiction.

On the night (in 2012 at OPACY) Hamilton hit his four homers, I wrote, “This was not a night to lament what Hamilton might have become if he had not lost years of his career to injuries, addictions and suspensions. Nor was it a night to predict what he might earn on the free-agent market next offseason if the Rangers fail to sign him to a new contract. This was a night to celebrate one of the most gifted athletes ever to play the game, to revel in who he is, right now.”

“Write good stuff!” Hamilton told reporters cheerfully when his postgame news conference was over.

It was a pleasure, Josh.

Oh, to do it again.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/josh-hamilton-los-angeles-angels-life-top-priority-as-reports-of-relapse-grow-addiction-022515

A team should never be in a situation where they benefit financially from a situation like this.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fangraphs has a different take on possible punishment.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/josh-hamilton-and-mlbs-joint-drug-agreement/

While Hamilton was in the minor leagues during his earlier transgressions back in the early-2000s, he had already been placed on Tampa Bay’s 40-man roster by the time he failed his first drug test in 2003. (Hamilton was subsequently removed from the Rays’ 40-man roster following the year-long suspension, leading to him famously being drafted in the 2006 Rule 5 draft.)

Because Hamilton was on the 40-man roster in 2003, his earlier violations would have been subject to MLB’s drug policy, meaning any subsequent transgressions would normally be subject to the escalating scale of punishment set forth in Section 7.D. So if Hamilton did in fact recently have a relapse, it seems strange that he would now be treated as a first-time offender under the JDA, or that he would be subjected to a punishment significantly less severe than the season-long suspension he served back in 2004.

That been said, though, any discipline would come at the discretion of the commissioner. So it’s possible Rob Manfred could decide to treat a possible new violation by Hamilton more leniently than normal under the JDA.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hear hamilton had relapse. Believe occurred a couple months back. Involved at least cocaine. Honorably, he confessed.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="
">February 26, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would confess too if I was being tested three times a week.

Cocaine leaves your system really, really quickly.

Cocaine leaves your system really, really quickly.

From my bit of research they say 3-5 days. He is getting tested, on average, of three times a week.

Even if it is in the 48-72 hour range his odds still are not that great. Not when the comish is almost assuredly going to go easier on him for admitting it.

From my bit of research they say 3-5 days. He is getting tested, on average, of three times a week.

Even if it is in the 48-72 hour range his odds still are not that great. Not when the comish is almost assuredly going to go easier on him for admitting it.

No doubt he helped himself by getting out ahead of this.

Tricky situation.

It's been pointed out by a lot of people over the past few days that he first got started with drugs and alcohol while on injury rehab in the minors. He relapses when he's hurt and not playing at his highest levels.

It's obvious he needs baseball to keep clean, or at least keep his chances of staying clean at a high level.

But he's looking at a suspension, for sure. Maybe even for life.

It's a shame, he's one of the most gifted players we've ever seen. Fortunately he kept it together long enough to share his talents on some major levels. His 2nd full season, leading the majors in RBI, his absurd 2010 stat line and MVP performance, the Home Run Derby, 4 homers in a game (against us, but did you mind?)...there was so much to watch and enjoy.

History is littered with people who have shown us greatness for brief, fleeting moments before succumbing to a demise of their own doing. Immediately I think of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain. When it comes to athletes, Len Bias comes to mind immediately.

IMO, Hamilton is on that level with his talents. The rest are dead, he's alive. Hopefully he can get it together before he ends up like the rest.

Tricky situation.

It's been pointed out by a lot of people over the past few days that he first got started with drugs and alcohol while on injury rehab in the minors. He relapses when he's hurt and not playing at his highest levels.

It's obvious he needs baseball to keep clean, or at least keep his chances of staying clean at a high level.

It's a shame, he's one of the most gifted players we've ever seen. Fortunately he kept it together long enough to share his talents on some major levels. His 2nd full season, leading the majors in RBI, his absurd 2010 stat line and MVP performance, the Home Run Derby, 4 homers in a game (against us, but did you mind?)...there was so much to watch and enjoy.

History is littered with people who have shown us greatness for brief, fleeting moments before succumbing to a demise of their own doing. Immediately I think of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain. When it comes to athletes, Len Bias comes to mind immediately.

IMO, Hamilton is on that level with his talents. The rest are dead, he's alive. Hopefully he can get it together before he ends up like the rest.

The four homer game was incredible and his MVP season was spectacular. I met him before he signed with the Angels when the AS game was held in Anaheim. He was incredibly humble and easy to talk with, almost shy. He was with his wife so I didn't want to intrude very long, but I was struck by how much he seemed out of place amongst all the cameras as he waited to get on the bus.

Tricky situation.

I went to a Orioles-Rangers game about 5 or 6 years ago and I was watching Josh Hamilton warm up before the game. I watched him throw a ball from right in front of the warning track in centerfield to home plate on a line, the ball never hit the ground. It looked like the ball never got higher than 6 or 7 feet of the ground. It was possibly the most impressive thing I've ever seen a baseball player do.

Tricky situation.

Yeah, I don't go there. If he needs the game to stay alive...that is not on the game. I hope he can find a way to live outside the game. Because he is going to need to.

He's going to be in trouble once his playing days are over. I hope he finds something he's passionate about besides cocaine and baseball before then.

Yes.

I will elaborate ........

He says he has his faith.

He has multiple passions in his life, but as of now, the ones besides cocaine have not been able to/not been enough for him to resist the self-destructive one, which is cocaine/alcohol/drugs.

So, back to ...........

He's going to be in trouble once his playing days are over. I hope he finds something he's passionate about besides cocaine and baseball before then.

I remember when Darryl Strawberry was just about at the end of his career in 1999. A judge was speaking to him after one of his numerous drug relapses (which included several DWI's, putting others lives in danger, in addition to his own.) The judge stated that, "When you stop producing, no one will care about you."

Sobering words indeed, and very true.

The only reason why Strawberry's many relapses were "stories" was because he was a major league baseball star. And after that (his baseball career) is over, he will be just another sad addict/drunk if he continues to use drugs and/or alcohol.

Fortunately, Strawberry has appeared to have turned a corner in his life, and at the moment, looks like he will avoid the fates of Steve Howe, Ken Caminiti, Len Bias, etc.

Only time will tell if Hamilton is able to do the same, but you are absolutely correct ...... his biggest test (and his biggest chance of potential trouble) will be when he no longer has the ability to be a star major league baseball player.

Archived