Hamilton is in big trouble?

Crazysilver03

The way he's been playing I wouldn't be surprised if a part of him were looking for a lifetime ban.
Hamilton’s meeting involves an admission to the league earlier in the offseason that he had used prohibited drugs of abuse, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (Twitter links). Hamilton, of course, has a well-documented history of addiction, leading Heyman to characterize the event in question as a relapse.

Importantly, Hamilton’s prior suspensions occurred before he was on the major league roster, which is presumably why Heyman writes that the 33-year-old would go into the league’s CBA-mandated first-time offender protocol rather than facing a more severe suspension. He would be entered into a treatment program and would be subject to a 15 to 25 game ban if he did not comply with that program.

That program — the specifics of which would be decided through a complicated process — would not necessarily result in any lost salary. The Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program (often referred to as the JDA) provides that, if a player misses thirty days or less of time from his team due to the required treatment regimen, he is paid in full. Days 31 through 60 are paid at half rate, and any period of absence beyond that would be unpaid.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/02/josh-hamilton-meeting-with-mlb-regarding-disciplinary-matter.html

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate the idea of teams getting salary relief because they signed high risk players and the players did exactly what made them high risk.

I agree. I feel like that's one thing the nfl definitely get right. Players suspended by the league for disciplinary reasons are still paid by there teams, but the money goes to charity. At least with PED suspensions, I would think reinvesting some of that money into the testing programs, anti Drug campaigns at youth levels and rest going to charity would be the way to go. Teams shouldn't be off the hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I feel like that's one thing the nfl definitely get right. Players suspended by the league for disciplinary reasons are still paid by there teams, but the money goes to charity. At least with PED suspensions, I would think reinvesting some of that money into the testing programs, anti Drug campaigns at youth levels and rest going to charity would be the way to go. Teams shouldn't be off the hook.

And it should count toward the salary tax as well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hear hamilton had relapse. Believe occurred a couple months back. Involved at least cocaine. Honorably, he confessed.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">February 26, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would confess too if I was being tested three times a week.

So in short, his relapse into using cocaine, may get him a suspension less than or equal to what Chris Davis got for using Adderall, an that is only if he doesn't comply with getting help.
the 33-year-old would go into the league’s CBA-mandated first-time offender protocol rather than facing a more severe suspension. He would be entered into a treatment program and would be subject to a 15 to 25 game ban if he did not comply with that program.

o.k. then........ carry on :cool:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hear hamilton had relapse. Believe occurred a couple months back. Involved at least cocaine. Honorably, he confessed.</p>? Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="
">February 26, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would confess too if I was being tested three times a week.

Keep the beginning and end of the stream out of the cup.

There was a a time when Hamilton was my single most favorite non-Oriole. A NC country boy, my home state, I would have killed to have him on the team. Sorry to hear he relapsed. That's bad for everyone but mostly him. He needs more help than his wife keeping control of all of the money and watching his every move.

So in short, his relapse into using cocaine, may get him a suspension less than or equal to what Chris Davis got for using Adderall, an that is only if he doesn't comply with getting help.

o.k. then........ carry on :cool:

seems right. He did something in the off season and confessed so he could get treatment. Not done for performance enhancing. Hopefully he can kick his addictions for good.

Ken Rosenthal covers the story:

"The good news for the Angels, if you want to call it that, is that they would not pay Hamilton during a suspension. The Yankees caught the same “break” with Alex Rodriguez last season, and the effect could be similar; the Angels’ savings on Hamilton could amount to millions.

Such talk is inevitable, but also uncomfortable. We are talking about a human being, not to mention the 2010 American League MVP. Hamilton’s story previously served as a stirring example of what recovering addicts could accomplish. Now it could turn out to be yet another crushing story about the horrors of addiction.

On the night (in 2012 at OPACY) Hamilton hit his four homers, I wrote, “This was not a night to lament what Hamilton might have become if he had not lost years of his career to injuries, addictions and suspensions. Nor was it a night to predict what he might earn on the free-agent market next offseason if the Rangers fail to sign him to a new contract. This was a night to celebrate one of the most gifted athletes ever to play the game, to revel in who he is, right now.”

“Write good stuff!” Hamilton told reporters cheerfully when his postgame news conference was over.

It was a pleasure, Josh.

Oh, to do it again.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/josh-hamilton-los-angeles-angels-life-top-priority-as-reports-of-relapse-grow-addiction-022515

Archived