Adam Jones: 'I deserve a little bit of respect' from front office

eddie83

Yes, I think he will if he continues playing at the level he did in 2014 and the Marlins continue with business as usual.

I agree that if he averages 6.5 rWAR over the next six seasons then he will opt out and make more than that. But I also think accepting as a given that he will continue performing at the same level through the age of 30 is a flawed premise. The average Hall of Fame right fielder accrued 42.9 rWAR in his best 7 seasons. For Stanton to maintain the same level as last season over the next six seasons, he would exceed that. A lot can happen over the next six seasons.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that if he averages 6.5 rWAR over the next six seasons then he will opt out and make more than that. But I also think accepting as a given that he will continue performing at the same level through the age of 30 is a flawed premise. The average Hall of Fame right fielder accrued 42.9 rWAR in his best 7 seasons. For Stanton to maintain the same level as last season over the next six seasons, he would exceed that. A lot can happen over the next six seasons.

Yeah, Stanton is not that good. I'd like to have him, but he is not Steve Pearce or anything ;)

Ok, somewhere in the vicinity of 2014. If he is a 5ish win player several of the next 6 seasons and salaries keep rising, he will opt out.

Yeah, Stanton is not that good. I'd like to have him, but he is not Steve Pearce or anything ;)

I think he is great. But it isn't a normal opt out. The contract he would be opting out of ($218 million guaranteed) would be the 7th largest contract in MLB history. It isn't like he has 3/$90 left and he can expect to get more guaranteed money at a potentially slightly lower AAV. That is a long contract still at the opt out point.

To answer Can_of_corn's question, Vernon Wells didn't opt out and I doubt Elvis Andrus will either.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/opt-out-clauses-mlb.html

And how big will the money look in six years?

The third and fourth biggest deals in baseball history were agreed to 7 and 14 years ago. I'm not sure how much growth potential exists at the highest end of baseball contracts. We will see.

I think he is great. But it isn't a normal opt out. The contract he would be opting out of ($218 million guaranteed) would be the 7th largest contract in MLB history. It isn't like he has 3/$90 left and he can expect to get more guaranteed money at a potentially slightly lower AAV. That is a long contract still at the opt out point.

To answer Can_of_corn's question, Vernon Wells didn't opt out and I doubt Elvis Andrus will either.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/opt-out-clauses-mlb.html

Danke.

Reading that article, all I could picture was Jimmy McNulty going straight to Judge Phelan and then Lt Daniels ripping him a new one with, "Chain of command detective, Chain of command!".

I get where Adam is coming from. But saying the things he said in this article and the way he said them, go a lot further than snarky, cryptic tweets.

I love Adam Jones. I envision his statue at Camden blowing a bubble. But, his job is on the field and being a leader. Players leave teams and show little loyalty via FA all the time. It's a business they say. Can't have it both ways. If AJ is unhappy now, wait until next year. He'll be ballistic. The O's would be better off trading him if he is going to be this way every time a player chooses to leave for more money rather than stay with their friend.

This is kinda where I am too. Adam maybe has a right to be upset, but be upset in private. Also, to the point of your post, unless the Orioles completely pulled the offer off the table, there was an offer made to Nick, and he chose to shop his talents to other teams, and he chose to sign with another team for more money. I'm not blaming him, but Adam needs to get off his high horse and realize Nick was/is as much a reason he's not still an Oriole as the Orioles are.

That said, if Dan is not returning phone calls from his players, especially one of the core members of the team, that is a major problem that needs to be addressed. Its bad enough to be rude and not make calls to Reynolds, BRob, etc and give them the decency to tell them you're not interested in resigning them, but not calling your own player back is incomprehendable.

I absolutely disagree with that. Make a call to the PR director and have it handled accordingly. I believe that no player should be calling the GM. Or the owner.

Why shouldn't a player be able to call the GM. There are what 20 guys who know they have made the team. DD should be able to respond to all of them. Ozzie Newsome talks to the players and there are a lot more Ravens than Orioles.

DD doesn't handle people well it seems.

Why shouldn't a player be able to call the GM. There are what 20 guys who know they have made the team. DD should be able to respond to all of them. Ozzie Newsome talks to the players and there are a lot more Ravens than Orioles.

DD doesn't handle people well it seems.

No, he is not a people person, but do you want someone else?

Yes there is a chain of command, but in my business if you don't get a satisfactory response at one level you can take it up to the next, and so on til you get to the top dog. Maybe AJ did contact Buck/DD and getting nada, wants to go the next step. Should have just don that IMO and not gone public. But then again maybe going public has gotten the ear of an Angelos.

Yes, that happens in my business too.

But if I go public with it instead of actually following that chain of command, I get fired. That was Adam's mistake, going public, not that he cares about the team.

Archived