The O's Most Difficult Cut(s) this Spring?

wildcard

Bleacher Report has an article on who is the Most Difficult Cut or Demotion. They picked Christian Walker which I think is funny. He is not close to the toughest cut this spring for Dan and Buck. He is optioned to AAA. The toughest cuts are the ones that will probably leave the organization. I have two.

1) Jimmy Paredes vs David Lough of the 25th player on the club. Both are out of options. Dan loves Paredes. Maybe it because he is a switch hitter that has hit well in the Pacific Coast League. Maybe its his versatility. Maybe its his youth at 26. Maybe it unexplainable. Meanwhile Lough is the superior defensive player and Buck loves defense. But de Aza can back up center as much as anyone has to with Adam Jones playing there. And if Jones is injured for a period of time Alvarez probably get promoted. So with Jones, de Aza, Snider on the team some of the reason to keep lefty Lough is not as great.

This may be the most difficult cut for either Dan or Buck this spring.

2) Brian Matusz. He has been in the O's organization since 2008. He may be the best lefty reliever on the club at getting left handed hitters out. But that is all he does. He doesn't do a good job versus right handed hitters. If Britton, O'Day, Hunter, Brach and the 6th starter are locks. And the O's like Wesley Wright because he gets out lefties and righties. Then the decision of if they keep Jason Garcia is front and center. Its looking right now like Garcia has to kept and that makes Brian trade bait.

In both situations the DL solves a lot of problems.....for a little while.

Who do you see as the O's Most Difficult Cut(s) this Spring?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with this, but I would add Webb in there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Webb is difficult to trade. I think someone will offer a prospect for him and he is not as good a pitcher as Matusz or what Garcia projects to be.

I am only using 2014 to avoid the clutter from their time as starters.

Matusz VS LHB 626 OPS.

Britton VS LHB 386 OPS.

Wright VS LHB 594 OPS.

Britton is pretty clearly the best VS LHB with Wright doing a slightly better job then Matusz last season.

Interesting, Thanks. I didn't consider Britton in the equation. Yes, he is a reliever but he is a closer. Didn't see the Wright vs Matusz competition in that light. Interesting.

Matusz never should've been tendered. I thought they had a trade in mind when he was. Now, I wonder what the hell they're doing.

Their protecting himselves against an injury. That is why the decision will be made late in the spring.

Interesting, Thanks. I didn't consider Britton in the equation. Yes, he is a reliever but he is a closer. Didn't see the Wright vs Matusz competition in that light. Interesting.

To me, if all a guy is going to do is get left handed batters out, I want him to do a better job then Matusz did last season.

I don't think that sixth starter is a lock. I think Jimenez and his contract are very much on the table. I'd be wary of cutting bait with Matusz especially if he has a good spring. Just my two cents:cool:

Jimenez is untradeable at this point.

I don't think that sixth starter is a lock. I think Jimenez and his contract are very much on the table. I'd be wary of cutting bait with Matusz especially if he has a good spring. Just my two cents:cool:

Unless you think Matusz will finally make it as a SP, I don't know why you'd be hesitant. He's very overpriced for a RP.

Unless you think Matusz will finally make it as a SP, I don't know why you'd be hesitant. He's very overpriced for a RP.

Well maybe as a LOOGY he is overpaid. Relievers are becoming more expensive. Some are getting 5-9M per year.

Archived