Jose Abreu - 1B

Melky Cabrera - LF

Adam LaRoche - DH

Avisail Garcia - RF

Conor Gillaspie - 3B

Alexei Ramirez - SS

Tyler Flowers - C

Carlos Sanchez - 2B

John William Danks - LHP (3-8, 5.38 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

7 innings of 1-run ball.

106 Pitches (72 Strikes, 34 Balls.)

Jimenez' E.R.A. for the season is under 3 (2.96.)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 innings of 1-run ball.

106 Pitches (72 Strikes, 34 Balls.)

Jimenez' E.R.A. for the season is under 3 (2.96.)

And all he gets is a big "L" by his name. Though he did lower his ERA. After the game, he praised the O's defense for helping him out.

The Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :smile11::clap:

Back to back nights of fine pitching and we waste the performances.
There were guys on 2nd and 3rd with only 1 out. All Caleb had to do was put the ball on the ground and get the 3rd baserunner in. But he couldn't even do that. Flaherty got the ball into the air -- but it was 1 out too late. :(

There were guys on 2nd and 3rd with only 1 out. All Caleb had to do was put the ball on the ground and get the 3rd baserunner in. But he couldn't even do that. Flaherty got the ball into the air -- but it was 1 out too late. :(

Or how about runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs...Pearce hits into a double play. Those are aggravating.

Joseph actually had a solid AB...think he saw 7 pitches. Sucks about the outcome, but he's batting at the bottom of the lineup for a reason.

This guy is like Houdini, with getting out of bases-loaded, no out (or one out) jams using strikeouts. I heard him briefly on the radio. He said that he had his fastball but was having problems with some secondary pitches.

As I've said before, Ubaldo is still a work in progress. The process of throwing strikes and not throwing balls is something new for him. I looked up his BB/9 innings on Baseball Reference. This year's number of 2.8 is a lot lower than in previous years, particularly last year when he had a BB/9 innings of 5.5 (other previous years ranged from 3.5 to 4.8). This is a significant change in his pitching technique. He seems to mostly have his fastball command, but he is still working on secondary pitches. What is encouraging is that he is able to bear down and use strikeouts to get out of jams. The time will come when he has consistent command of his secondary pitches, and then he should be lights-out most of the time, pitching deeper into games consistently.

• 2 weeks later...

Ubaldo said in the interview after the game that he was OK with fastball command but he had problems with his slider and splitter. He said that he "made mistakes" and allowed the HRs. Gary Thorne then asked him whether the All Star layoff had hurt him. He shut off that line of questioning stating, "I don't want to make excuses" for his poor performance. I'm sure that Ramon will give him a good workout for his next start. He should be OK next time.

The return of bad Ubaldo for a couple games now. The team definitely didn't need that. I bet the guys in our OF have sore necks.

The Grand Inquisitor of the Ubaldo Doubters club. :mad: :slytf: :angryfire:

Ubaldo was God-awful today. But like a good Grand Poobah, I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel quite yet. He'll work it out for his next start. When your guys are struggling, that's the time to get even more behind them.

The Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :eektf::clap:

o

ATLANTA BRAVES O(JULY 28th)

Nicholas William Markakis - RF

Cameron Maybin - CF

Freddie Freeman - 1B

Adonis Garcia - 3B

Anthony John Pierzynski - C

Jonny Gomes - LF

Jace Peterson - 2B

Chris Johnson - DH

Andrelton Simmons - SS

Julio Alberto Pinto Teheran - RHP (6-5, 4.49 ERA)

7 innings, 2 runs.

Retired 18 out of the final 20 batters that he faced (2 walks were allowed in that time frame.)

Archived