Ubaldo Jimenez Today 2015

Il BuonO

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even UJ haters have to admit the decrease in walks is pretty impressive. UJ has the ability to kick up a notch in early innings when it appears he may give up a big inning, something Tillman has trouble doing. He has been pretty solid. It does appear that he has become a 100 pitch guy, no longer able to be consistent beyond that point. This is fine as long as his control continues and he has a two strike out pitch, something all the other pitchers lack to various degrees.

Even UJ haters have to admit the decrease in walks is pretty impressive. UJ has the ability to kick up a notch in early innings when it appears he may give up a big inning, something Tillman has trouble doing. He has been pretty solid. It does appear that he has become a 100 pitch guy, no longer able to be consistent beyond that point. This is fine as long as his control continues and he has a two strike out pitch, something all the other pitchers lack to various degrees.
He's much more of a finesse pitcher than he was. Which is what happens when pitchers get a bit older and lose the velocity on their fastball. They have to adjust; they no longer can just fire away. I think that Ubaldo's horrible 2014 season was at least partly caused by his failure to adjust to his loss of velocity. Which is why banishing him to the pen was the best thing that could have happened to him and his career. It gave Wallace, Chiti, R. Martinez, and Ubaldo himself some time to learn how to gain command and use more finesse to compensate for the loss of velocity. However, the downside of this period of adjustment means that batters sometimes make their own adjustments the 3rd or 4th time through the order. Ubaldo will have to learn to make more adjustments and I think that he will. When he does, he'll become lights-out for the entire game.

o

BOSTON RED SOX O(JUNE 23rd)

Mookie Betts - CF

Brock Holt - RF

Dustin Pedroia - 2B

David Ortiz - DH

Hanley Ramirez - LF

Xander Bogaerts - SS

Pablo Sandoval - 3B

Mike Napoli - 1B

Sandy Leon - C

Joseph William Kelly - RHP (2-4, 5.32 ERA)

With 2 outs in the 5th inning, Jimenez was at 77 pitches with an excellent ratio (53 Strikes, 24 Balls), and was on pace to go 7 innings.

Not only did he not go 7 innings, he didn't even go 6, and was fortunate to even be able to eke out the 5 that he did. That's because he walked back-to-back batters, gave up an RBI-single on an 8-pitch plate appearance, and threw another 7 pitches to finally get the 3rd out of the inning via a strikeout.

He did show good control through the first 4 innings, having only walked 1 batter up to that point, and (as previously stated) had an excellent strikes-to-balls ratio in that time.

He also showed some wizardry in striking out 8 Red Sox in only 5 frames.

It also looked like Wieters was having difficulties with UJ in the 5th. One ball that looked like a strike on the NESN strike thing Matt missed completely. Also, Sniders throw to the plate the previous inning was very poor, bounced it to the cutoff from short left in Fenway?

That 5th inning was pretty frustrating to watch. I'll say this: I thought the final pitch to Pedroia was strike three.

Overall, he's not getting deep into games often enough.

I thought the same thing...I actually yelled "Where was that?" at my TV! :o Seemed that kind of threw him out of his rhythm.

I wondered if the humidity got to him in the 5th.
I know that Ubaldo is from the DR, which I gather can get warm and humid. But still, that humidity is something that saps the energy out of anyone.

I also believe that Ubaldo is still a work in progress. Remember that, until this year, he was throwing balls and giving up walks. Up until 2014, he had his velocity so many times, he was "effectively wild." Last year, his loss of velocity was telling. He still gave up a lot of walks, and thus became ineffectively wild and we all know the result of that. Well, now, he has learned how to not walk batters. He is also learning to be more of a finesse pitcher because of the loss of velocity. He said in an interview after the game that he is learning to get fastball command so that he can finish with the splitter. He's still learning some new processes on how to pitch.

Well he got his 6th victory. And 6 Ks, many at crucial times to do his Houdini act to get out of jams. ;)

The Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :smile11::clap:

That 5th inning was pretty frustrating to watch. I'll say this: I thought the final pitch to Pedroia was strike three.

Overall, he's not getting deep into games often enough.

Well.. there is only 3 games he didn't go more then 5 innings. One was against when he got tossed (not his fault, had no hitter going), then the other two were Inter League games in NL stadiums in which he could have ate up 2 more innings against the Mets and Marlins and finished after 5 innings but Buck choose to PH with him.

He has 5 games with 7ip pitches so far out of 14 games. Could have gotten 8 against Houston on May 27th and again 8 against Chicago in the no fan game.

Well.. there is only 3 games he didn't go more then 5 innings. One was against when he got tossed (not his fault, had no hitter going), then the other two were Inter League games in NL stadiums in which he could have ate up 2 more innings against the Mets and Marlins and finished after 5 innings but Buck choose to PH with him.

He has 5 games with 7ip pitches so far out of 14 games. Could have gotten 8 against Houston on May 27th and again 8 against Chicago in the no fan game.

You're right, it's not quite as bad as I thought. Still, only 5 IP in three of his last four starts.

I know that Ubaldo is from the DR, which I gather can get warm and humid. But still, that humidity is something that saps the energy out of anyone.

I also believe that Ubaldo is still a work in progress. Remember that, until this year, he was throwing balls and giving up walks. Up until 2014, he had his velocity so many times, he was "effectively wild." Last year, his loss of velocity was telling. He still gave up a lot of walks, and thus became ineffectively wild and we all know the result of that. Well, now, he has learned how to not walk batters. He is also learning to be more of a finesse pitcher because of the loss of velocity. He said in an interview after the game that he is learning to get fastball command so that he can finish with the splitter. He's still learning some new processes on how to pitch.

Well he got his 6th victory. And 6 Ks, many at crucial times to do his Houdini act to get out of jams. ;)

The Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :smile11::clap:

8 K's (but who's counting)

Archived