Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

I don't know anybody who actually understands WAR who claims or thinks it is perfect. I'd be the first to say there are defensible arguments for paying $10 mm/yr for a pitcher of Miller's quality. I just don't happen to agree with those arguments, when you consider our overall payroll.

You can't pay a guy who pitches, even 80 innings, can't pay him 10% (9%) of our payroll. I don't care if he's Mariano Rivera. Babe Ruth in the 1914 WS. CAN'T.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only reason Miller would care is that closers make more money. If we offered him 11 or 12 million per year, that would be much more then most closers. I think he would have taken it.

In the economics of today's game, the Orioles would have made Miller the closer for that much money, and Britton would be relegated to setup.

You can't pay a guy who pitches, even 80 innings, can't pay him 10% (9%) of our payroll. I don't care if he's Mariano Rivera. Babe Ruth in the 1914 WS. CAN'T.

Sure you can -- you'll just have to live with the consequences!

I pay Mariano Rivera 9% of the payroll. But then he NEVER had a bad season, which is almost unique among relievers. We don't know what Miller's future holds.

Most relief pitchers would care. Closers are considered the ultimate in relief pitching. But then Miller seemed to be kind of a mercenary type, so perhaps he wouldn't care about being a set-up man (or even a long reliever) if he got enough money.

No one pays a reliever 11 or 12 million and Miller turned down 10 to pitch for the Yankees.

Please understand. We did not even bid. This was never. A thing.

In the economics of today's game, the Orioles would have made Miller the closer for that much money, and Britton would be relegated to setup.

Serious question. Can anyone name a situation where a team signed a guy and pretty clearly deposed a good player to insert new player just (or primarily, or even plausibly) because he made more money? Talent/performance levels have to be reasonably equal. I think this is very rare, maybe unprecedented.

Some teams do. Rivera, Papelbon and Soriano all have been paid that.

The Yankees are exempt from fiscal logic that applies to others, and the Phils appear to be exempt from logic. The only explanation I have for the Nats is that they were real bitter over their old closer blowing a playoff game, and decided to spend $14M a year for two-thirds of a win.

The Yankees are exempt from fiscal logic that applies to others, and the Phils appear to be exempt from logic. The only explanation I have for the Nats is that they were real bitter over their old closer blowing a playoff game, and decided to spend $14M a year for two-thirds of a win.

This is all correct. I guess that Rivera is the only reliever in my lifetime to really justify making that kind of money.

Serious question. Can anyone name a situation where a team signed a guy and pretty clearly deposed a good player to insert new player just (or primarily, or even plausibly) because he made more money? Talent/performance levels have to be reasonably equal. I think this is very rare, maybe unprecedented.

You mean like when Montana went to the Chiefs and some guy named Young took over?

This is all correct. I guess that Rivera is the only reliever in my lifetime to really justify making that kind of money.

Yep. You can factor in leverage all you want, but a player can only be so valuable when they face 250-300 batters a year and have essentially no offensive or fielding responsibilities. People often say a DH shouldn't win the MVP award, but a closer almost always has a smaller impact than a nearly full-time DH.

I don't know enough about the situation to comment. Are you saying Steve Young was worse than Joe Montana (or the other way around), but was made the starter because of salary?

Joe Montana was entering his age 37 season and the 49'ers decided to go with his very talented backup of 7 years.

Archived