For What it's worth.....

Belkast

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fascinating how the Cubs are laughed off for offering guys like Cedeno and Murton and Patterson on the grounds that they're spare parts who aren't even good enough to start or somesuch nonsense, yet here so many folks are salivating at guys that are in the exact same situation with the Indians.

Quite an amusing double standard at work.

Fascinating how the Cubs are laughed off for offering guys like Cedeno and Murton and Patterson on the grounds that they're spare parts who aren't even good enough to start or somesuch nonsense, yet here so many folks are salivating at guys that are in the exact same situation with the Indians.

Also fascinating how someone, a Cubs fan no less, thinks we would be lucky to get one of those three Indians players in a Roberts deal but is discussing those same Cubs players.

You beat me too it Dave. It will be interesting to see what the final agreement is if Roberts is traded. As someone posted earlier or in another thread, I think O's fans will be disappointed in the return for Roberts.

Well, here's my little view of the world. At some point in time (and I'll admit next year could be too soon), a team has to make a determination that says "We are going to get this player no matter what." Tex could very well be that player.

While I can see why it makes sense to trade Roberts given our other moves, unless we are getting back something better than what the rumored Cubs package is, I would rather keep Roberts for a year and see what happens. Getting young players back for cheap control is great if you think they are going to grow into some type of impact players, but if they're not/don't, you've got cheap useless parts under your control.

Really just a matter of opinion, b/c I can't fault anyone for wanting to trade Roberts, just my own opinion that Roberts is the kind of player I would like to keep around unless the return is too good to pass up, and I don't think the Cubs return is that.

And back to my original premise, if we were to land Tex, it would sure be nice to have Roberts still in the fold.

LOL, the space between "impact" and "useless" comprises like 75% of the players in baseball.

For example George Sherrill is neither "impact" nor "useless". Same with Joe Blanton. And Ian Kinsler.

If the O's got a package of players for Roberts that eventually became Sherrill, Blanton, and Kinsler, you should be absolutely thrilled.

Are you kidding me?? That trio couldn't carry Peralta's jockstrap:)

Also fascinating how someone, a Cubs fan no less, thinks we would be lucky to get one of those three Indians players in a Roberts deal but is discussing those same Cubs players.

It wasn't me that said that.

Frankly I'll laugh my butt off if the O's deal Roberts for a package of Marte and Barfield.

It wasn't me that said that.

Frankly I'll laugh my butt off if the O's deal Roberts for a package of Marte and Barfield.

And it wasn't me that was laughing at Cubs fans ;)

Obviously, we don't know for sure what any of the offers are, but I'd bet the Cubs offer is significantly stronger than Marte and Barfield. Replace Marte with Peralta, and then it's a different story.

LOL, the space between "impact" and "useless" comprises like 75% of the players in baseball.

For example George Sherrill is neither "impact" nor "useless". Same with Joe Blanton. And Ian Kinsler.

If the O's got a package of players for Roberts that eventually became Sherrill, Blanton, and Kinsler, you should be absolutely thrilled.

Wasn't trying to imply that the Cubs players were useless. I'm just not sold that given the moves the O's have made (i.e. acquiring 10 gazillion pitchers), I don't think the Cubs current offer makes the O's situation much better than would keeping Roberts if they were going to sincerely try and sign Tex.

Sorry if it came across that way, but wasn't trying to insult the Cubs players.

Its as simple as the O's and Indians matching up better than the O's and Cubs. I would much rather have Peralta and Marte/Barfield than Gallagher and Cedeno/Patterson because we need infielders badly. I am just not interested in the Cubs players much at all - take the Indians package if they are close.

Patterson is more of a utility player and Cedeno doesn't seem to have the ability to hit. I remember how much everyone thought of Marte 2 years back, I'd love to take a flyer on him.

Are you kidding me?? That trio couldn't carry Peralta's jockstrap:)

Jhonny Peralta is vastly overrated by this board IMO.

The fact that he can play a barely passable SS is the only thing that makes his mediocre onbase skills and meh power seem mildly valuable.

When he moves to 3B (and that day is coming), he's just another league-averageish guy.

Please if someone can find anything mentioning the Indians interest in Roberts let us know.I went to a few Indian boards and they have not heard anything.The Orioles are scouting the Cubs for a reason.The only guy I view untouchable prospect wise is Pie because he is are starting CF as Jones is yours.

Its as simple as the O's and Indians matching up better than the O's and Cubs. I would much rather have Peralta and Marte/Barfield than Gallagher and Cedeno/Patterson because we need infielders badly. I am just not interested in the Cubs players much at all - take the Indians package if they are close.

Patterson is more of a utility player and Cedeno doesn't seem to have the ability to hit. I remember how much everyone thought of Marte 2 years back, I'd love to take a flyer on him.

If I am not mistaken, just a few years ago Cedeno was one of the top prospects in baseball, as well. Why does no one seem to be interested in getting him? Has he really proven that he can't contribute at the major league level? Maybe I'm wrong but has he really had that large of a sample size of major league at bats that we can predict with certainty that he won't be anything special? Frankly, I was excited when I heard the O's might be getting him in a trade. I think the Cubs would be stupid not to give him another chance. His numbers in the minors were ridiculous. Given, I know nothing about the park he was playing in or anything of the sort. All I know is that a few years ago I was hearing his name in all these top prospect lists. I don't know. It just seems strange that we'd be excited about getting Marte and not Cedeno.

Do you guys think O's fans and Cubs fans are more like the Hatfield's and McCoy's or the Montague's and Capulet's? :D

LOL! Good question. I would have to say they are like the Bundy/Darcy rivalry, seeing how they complete trades so often like they live next door to each other. :)

Archived