For What it's worth.....

Belkast

I mentioned Marquis to the O's as a possibility awhile ago. I'm not going to pretend he's the greatest pitcher around, but there is another side to point out. Marquis has been a very good first-half pitcher during his career. Also, he's an inning eater. If he came over in the Roberts deal and pitched well for the first half, he could be traded at the trade deadline. Teams will be looking for starters at the deadline. Whatever prospect(s) you get for Marquis would be a bonus to the other players acquired for Roberts (and Payton?). Again, I'm just pointing out that it might not be as bad as it seems at first. Obviously, the O's would not want to keep him for the whole two years.

While I agree with what you say, he would still be a salary dump and the involvement of Marquis in the deal IMO would force you to make your package a little better (maybe turn Veal into Ceda).

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I agree with what you say, he would still be a salary dump and the involvement of Marquis in the deal IMO would force you to make your package a little better (maybe turn Veal into Ceda).

Veal and Ceda aren't really that different. It's hard to say at this point which one will end up being better, as it seems like their prospect status flip-flopped in the past year. It would have to be a bigger upgrade than that to take on $16 million (or net $11.25 if you subtract Payton).

Who would you rather have, Kyle Lohse and Payton or Jason Marquis and Eric Patterson?

Marquis and Lohse are very similar...

Lohse and Payton assuming Lohse is a 1 year deal.

Patterson isn't worth 8-10 million dollars...Plus, we could get EPat in a seperate deal for less.

I would think if we trade Marquis that we would eat some of his contract. It makes sense if the O's are looking for another vet pitcher. How would this deal sound:

BRob, DCab, and Payton for Gallahger, Veal, EPatt, Cedeno, and Marquis.

That is a horrible deal for the Orioles...You are basically giving them DCab for free.

I would think if we trade Marquis that we would eat some of his contract. It makes sense if the O's are looking for another vet pitcher. How would this deal sound:

DCab is not a throw in, at least not yet...

That is a good way to look at Marquis from the O's perspective. He would bring a lot more in return than a Jay Payton...as pitching is always desired. Please keep in mind that the discussion Bruce Levine had about Marquis and Payton seemed to be more of his opinion more than anything, at least he didn't say it was information from a source. One other thing...Levine said that he thinks Patterson is a good hitter, who could bat leadoff for the orioles and steal 30-40 bases. Once again, the problem is the defense. I can't speak for the orioles, but being that they are rebuilding, you would think they would want to work with patterson and develop the defense at second. In my opinion, it is easier to work on defense then to teach someone to be a good hitter and steal 30-40 bases. I think the O's should shoot for Gallagher, Veal Cedeno and Patterson, but would be happy to give you Colvin in place of Patterson. (I personally think patterson is going to be a better hitter than Colvin). A note about Colvin. Steve Stone raves about him, and I am Steve Stone fan, so I could be wrong here.

Lohse and Payton assuming Lohse is a 1 year deal.

Patterson isn't worth 8-10 million dollars...Plus, we could get EPat in a separate deal for less.

I'm curious what people think it would take to get Patterson a la carte - he's obviously blocked in Chicago, but it's not clear to me what we could give them in return for him that they'd want. They have high upside, low floor arms already. They presumably don't need low upside high floor arms either. Their bullpen looks good. If I were the cubs, I'd want a high upside position player who's still far away from contributing - just the sort of commodity the Orioles can't be giving up right now.

If there's a fit for a small trade, great. If not, I'd rather the club spend some of the money they've saved and get some talent. Patterson wouldn't get Marquis' money on the open market, and in that sense I agree he's not worth 8-10 millions dollars. But he's not on the open market. So whether he's worth 8-10 million to the O's should depend on the opportunity costs. I don't know what those are. If we were going to use the money to sign 20 Dominican prospects, then it would probably be better spend that way. If it were going to go unused, then I'd rather they use it.

Nolan Reimold is a better hitter than Colvin and RF and CF are locked up with Markakis and Jones.

I'd take a Roberts and Payton for Cedeno, Murton, Gallagher and Patterson deal. If Marquis is involved, I'd need Ceda back to justify the salary dump.

It is hard for me to imagine any offer including Marquis that I would be in favor of. I would not want AM to accept the above offer, even if you hadn't added DCab. Eliminate DCab and Marquis, and I think I'm OK with it. Marquis is a huge subtraction from anything else that is being offered IMO.

Nolan Reimold is a better hitter than Colvin and RF and CF are locked up with Markakis and Jones.

I'd take a Roberts and Payton for Cedeno, Murton, Gallagher and Patterson deal. If Marquis is involved, I'd need Ceda back to justify the salary dump.

But Bigbird's hearing Roberts and Payton for Cedeno, Gallagher, Veal, and a 4th. Usually the 4th isn't as good as the first 3, so I don't see Patterson as being included in that deal. So are you saying you'd walk away from a Bigbirdian deal? Because you're not adding Marquis to what looks like it might happen otherwise, you're adding him to a deal where we're already getting significantly more back. And in that scenario, of course there's little reason to take on the $.

Gallagher, Pie, and Ceda/Veal/Colvin would have to be coming back as well.

Really? That would be the rip off trade of the century. No offense but it has said numerous times that Pie and Ceda are not going anywhere. I could see Gallagher and Veal in a trade but since Hendry is in love with Colvin, it is very unlikely that he would go anywhere either.

Archived