Mora, Lowenstein, and Roenicke to Orioles Hall 2015

weams

http://www.orioleshangout.com/article/5054/melvin-mora-john-lowenstein-and-gary-rornicke-to-os-hall

http://www.pressboxonline.com/2015/04/20/melvin-mora-john-lowenstein-and-gary-roenicke-elected-to-orioles-hall-of-fame

The Orioles announced April 20 that former Orioles third baseman Melvin Mora has been elected to the Orioles Hall of Fame. Additionally, the former left field platoon duo of John Lowenstein and Gary Roenicke will be enshrined as selections of the Veteran's Committee, and long-time Orioles scout Fred Uhlman Sr. will be inducted as this year's Herb Armstrong Award winner. Mora, Roenicke, and Uhlman will be honored at a luncheon at Oriole Park sponsored by the Oriole Advocates, founders of the Orioles Hall of Fame, on Friday, August 14 at noon, as well as during an on-field ceremony prior to the Orioles game against the Oakland Athletics later that evening. Lowenstein will be unable to attend either event due to a previous engagement.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

I was at Mora's last game ever as an Oriole in October of 2009 at Oriole Park.

When Trembley took him out of the game for a pinch-hitter in the 6th inning, we all gave him a standing ovation.

He was my favorite Oriole during his tenure here (2000-2009.)

Cool stuff. Too bad Lowenstein won't be there, I would think they could just wait a year if there is no other reason than a previous engagement.

I really wonder about that. I heard Mel Proctor interviewed about a year ago, and he said that Lowenstein has kind of fallen off the radar screen -- doesn't return phone calls, etc.

I really wonder about that. I heard Mel Proctor interviewed about a year ago, and he said that Lowenstein has kind of fallen off the radar screen -- doesn't return phone calls, etc.

There is more to that story. He would not have been available the next year either I fear.

“Sure, I screwed up that sacrifice bunt, but look at it this way. I’m a better bunter than a billion Chinese. Those suckers can’t bunt at all.”

“I have noticed that there are a lot of outfielders in the American League with great mobility, and the best way to immobilize them is to hit the ball over the fence."

“I glance at the lineup card, I look for length. If I see a very long name, I know I am playing. I also see a misspelled name. Earl always puts the “i" before the “e.” Sometimes I’ll correct it, but the next day it’s still misspelled.”

I find it a bit insane that the Orioles Hall of Fame needs a Veteran's Committee. As it is, the O's HOF isn't very selective. What do you need to do to qualify for Veterans' Committee consideration, I wonder?

Have played for Earl?

There is more to that story. He would not have been available the next year either I fear.
I had the pleasure of meeting Brother Lo at an Orioles 1983 reunion show in Timonium in 2013. I don't like what you're implying, but I know you have the inside story I'm sure.

Very happy that Melvin is going in. He deserves it.

I don't think there was any doubt about Melvin going in. He played for us during a dismal period, but he was a very good player for us for a long time. His rank in various categories (excluding the St. Louis Browns):

HR: 10th

RBI: 8th

Runs: 10th

2B: 8th

I frequently quote Lowenstein saying to a reporter, "I may not be a star, but sometimes I sparkle." Great baseball poetry. Problem is I've never been able to track down when/where he said it and I've begun to think I half made it up. Has anyone else seen it? I'd like to use it in a piece I'm writing.

Archived