Orioles win; Yankees lose

wildcard

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, SteveA said:

Yankees lost to the Pirates tonight.   Orioles pull to within 20.5 games of first place with our win.

I wonder what the largest deficit any team has ever overcome in a season?  The 1914 Miracle Braves were 15.0 games behind the Giants after being swept in a July 4th doubleheader.  They were in 8th (last) place, five games out of 7th.  They went 68-19 the rest of the way to finish 10 (!) games up.  That might be the record, but I'm not sure.

The '51 Giants were 13 games back on August 11th and won it on Bobby Thompson's homer.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I wonder what the largest deficit any team has ever overcome in a season?  The 1914 Miracle Braves were 15.0 games behind the Giants after being swept in a July 4th doubleheader.  They were in 8th (last) place, five games out of 7th.  They went 68-19 the rest of the way to finish 10 (!) games up.  That might be the record, but I'm not sure.

The '51 Giants were 13 games back on August 11th and won it on Bobby Thompson's homer.

How far back of Boston were the 1978 Yankees?

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Looks like they were 14 back in mid-July.  Just before they traded for someone who still had a soul available to sell to the devil.

They also changed managers right around the time of the turnaround.   But it's been so long I can't remember if they fired Billy Martin and hired Bob Lemon, or fired Bob Lemon and hired Billy Martin.

I remember watching a nationally televised Yankees/Red Sox game that summer and feeling I had to root for the Yankees if the Orioles were to have any chance to get back into the race (remember, under Earl Weaver the Orioles were known for playing great in August and September so as a kid I believed anything was possible).

Then the  Yankees actually came back and caught the Red Sox, the Boston Massacre in September, the Bucky Dent game, etc, and won the World Series again.   I felt tremendous guilt for having rooted for the Yankees back in July, like if I had intentionally stepped on a crack and then my grandmother had broken her back.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

...But I had been watching a nationally televised Yankees/Red Sox game that summer and feeling I had to root for the Yankees if the Orioles were to have any chance to get back into the race (remember, under Earl Weaver the Orioles were known for playing great in August and September so as a kid I believed anything was possible).

Then the  Yankees actually came back and caught the Red Sox, the Boston Massacre in September, the Bucky Dent game, etc, and won the World Series again.   I felt tremendous guilt for having rooted for the Yankees back in July, like if I had intentionally stepped on a crack and then my grandmother had broken her back.

I absolutely concur, if that is the right word aftere 25 years, but I always harken back to 1982 when they played over 0.600 ball afer he AS break and ran down the BJs on the next to last game pf the season. I lost $200 bucks on that last game guaranteeing JP would win. Not to be but 1983 was redemption. They were not to be denied. I knd of have a similar feeling right now about this bunch. They are playing better than they are, but hey may have a 1982 run in them to setup for 2023, John Angelos not withstanding.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 7:41 PM, AnythingO's said:

I absolutely concur, if that is the right word aftere 25 years, but I always harken back to 1982 when they played over 0.600 ball afer he AS break and ran down the Brewers on the next to last game pf the season. I lost $200 bucks on that last game guaranteeing JP would win. Not to be but 1983 was redemption. They were not to be denied. I knd of have a similar feeling right now about this bunch. They are playing better than they are, but hey may have a 1982 run in them to setup for 2023, John Angelos not withstanding.

ftfy