The Corner OF Options

ChuckS

Near a quarter way through the season and the results aren't good. Aside from the subpar defense that they collectively provide all five of these guys (Snider, Pearce, De Aza, Young, Lough) are all under or practically under .700 in OPS (Snider is at .702 and falling).

Meanwhile Seth Smith is putting up a .774 OPS in pitcher friendly Seattle and could have been had for very little. This is the guy I was calling for us to get in the offseason. I really expected more power from Snider. The one HR up this point is very disappointing.

I honestly think our best chance of getting production out of one of these spots is to play Pearce everyday. He has the best chance in the group of getting hot and putting up anything other than mediocre numbers. Reinforcements due to not appear to be coming from Norfolk, so we are stuck with this group and need to figure out a way to make it work.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Near a quarter way through the season and the results aren't good. Aside from the subpar defense that they collectively provide all five of these guys (Snider, Pearce, De Aza, Young, Lough) are all under or practically under .700 in OPS (Snider is at .702 and falling).

Meanwhile Seth Smith is putting up a .774 OPS in pitcher friendly Seattle and could have been had for very little. This is the guy I was calling for us to get in the offseason. I really expected more power from Snider. The one HR up this point is very disappointing.

I honestly think our best chance of getting production out of one of these spots is to play Pearce everyday. He has the best chance in the group of getting hot and putting up anything other than mediocre numbers. Reinforcements due to not appear to be coming from Norfolk, so we are stuck with this group and need to figure out a way to make it work.

I'd get Trumbo.

Probably take Pearce. It's a salary move on their part right?

Trumbo has been pretty inconsistent the last two years prior to 2015 in hitter friendly AZ. I'm not ready to give up on Pearce.I rather dump Snider. There's nothing in his approach to indicate to me that his bat will come alive. He needs to slap the ball the other way to hit for average and any time he tries to pull the ball he is rolling over to second base. That indicates lack of bat speed to me. Pearce can at least play multiple positions even if he's not hitting.

Trumbo has been pretty inconsistent the last two years prior to 2015 in hitter friendly AZ. I'm not ready to give up on Pearce.I rather dump Snider. There's nothing in his approach to indicate to me that his bat will come alive. He needs to slap the ball the other way to hit for average and any time he tries to pull the ball he is rolling over to second base. That indicates lack of bat speed to me. Pearce can at least play multiple positions even if he's not hitting.

Snider is on the club next year and hits left-handed. Pearce is a Free agent that would not be worth a QO. But I'd Give then De Aza if they prefered. And Navarro.

Trumbo would work well in the summer in Baltimore. Trumbo would play first next season.

Snider is on the club next year and hist lefthanded. PEarce is a Free agent that would not be worth a QO. But I'd Give then De Aza if they prefered. And Navarro.

Fair enough. I'm just not comfortable selling this low on Pearce. De Aza is making too much I think for that trade to work. How about Lough?

Fair enough. I'm just not comfortable selling this low on Pearce. De Aza is making too much I think for that trade to work. How about Lough?

You lose Pearce no matter what. So get something for him. Now or later. Unless we are playoff bound he gets traded this season anyway.

I think one issue is that with Paredes hitting so well it is harder to get the different candidates at bats. I know all the players aren't everyday players but now with DH filled that is even fewer at bats available. Buck is playing Pearce at 2nd and that helps but it is hard to get any consistency offensively when you don't play regularly. As I said in another thread I want to see Snider play everyday for awhile and see what happens. When Cabrera or Flaherty get back I would consider cutting DeAza. Platoon Delmon for now and if Buck wants to sit Paredes we can DH him.

I think one issue is that with Paredes hitting so well it is harder to get the different candidates at bats. I know all the players aren't everyday players but now with DH filled that is even fewer at bats available. Buck is playing Pearce at 2nd and that helps but it is hard to get any consistency offensively when you don't play regularly. As I said in another thread I want to see Snider play everyday for awhile and see what happens. When Cabrera or Flaherty get back I would consider cutting DeAza. Platoon Delmon for now and if Buck wants to sit Paredes we can DH him.

No one ever thought Delmon was a full time outfielder. And now he is.

I think the time has come, or at least is fast approaching, to say this offense isn't working the way it should. (Last night Palmer and Thorne were talking about the coincidence of the O's being shut down by three great performances from pitchers with ERAs over 6, without discussing, so far as I heard, that offensive ineptness might explain those data points.)

I'd like to see Pearce and Snider get steadier playing time in the OF (although playing Pearce there may have to await our getting a better alternative for 2B). I think I know what De Aza and Delmon will do as more-or-less everyday players. I don't know that about Snider, and at this point I don't think that anybody knows that about Pearce.

With some work, Parades should be capable of playing a good 1B. I'd start that project now, if it's not already in progress, and think about sitting Davis some.

Maybe everyone, from Davis on down, should be required to work on hitting (and bunting) against defensive shifts.

More a question than a comment. My impression is that, at least for power hitters, Harbor Park depresses batting stats at Norfolk. Is that the case, and if so are any of our OF candidates hitting the ball well despite their unimpressive stats?

Finally, Parmelee is hitting well at Norfolk and used to be an OF. Is he a defensive liability there?

Archived