vs. MARINERS, 5/21

OFFNY

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The point wasn’t who was better between Irvin or Grayson, it was that if there is even a discussion, Grayson can’t be considered part of a “Big 3”.  After his performance in the playoffs last year and his lack of command so far this season, he needs to show a decent amount of improvement to be looked at that way.
    • https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/grayson-rodriguez-680570?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/cole-irvin-608344?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb Grayson has a higher ceiling than Cole, I think almost anyone would argue, yes.  But even if we're strictly looking at numbers, despite Grayson's uneven start, he is still statistically better than Cole in a handful of areas (mainly whiff rate, K rate, xBA, xERA).
    • Given his success here and perhaps lack of strong interest elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if Lopez would be OK with a minor league deal here.
    • Lots of stats say Irvin hasn’t been better this year. Grayson has had a few rough starts around his injury…he’s been excellent otherwise and has been excellent since he got re-called last year. Irvin is pitching very well but he’s not a sub 3 ERA guy.  He may be a sub 4 ERA guy though. 
    • One factor to consider in taking HS talent is age.  Historically, prep players that are 19'ish work out less often than their younger counterparts.  The main reason is that they are physically more mature, and thus have an advantage.  There have been exceptions certainly, but often they have weaker careers.   Sig is well aware of the analytics, so it would be a bit surprising to see us go that route. In 2019, we took Gunnar 26 days before his 18th birthday, and Holliday was 18.6 years old when we took him in 2022.  It's a factor... but I can't say with certainty we wouldn't draft a 19-year old that early.
    • I don't have a horse in that race, but I question your logic. Seems like you're saying: Stuff > Results. Or maybe, so far this year Irvin is better, but long term you're betting on Grayson?
    • I hadn't read that, but it seems we are thinking similar things. 😃  
  • Popular Contributors