Sabermetrics, My Take

brianod

If you have a database that says Travis Snider has a baseball IQ of 70/100 that's useless made up drivel. But if you have a scouting report with some tobacco stains and fingerprints and a scribbled note that says Snider is a numbelnuts and can't think straight... well, that's something you can work with.

I don't think baseball IQ translates well as a number (though the Astros have done this, I believe). I prefer to incorporate at the data entry level by applying it to my grades before submission (e.g. a runner may be a 70 runner by the stopwatch, but his aRun grade might be a 60 -- both are crunched in spitting out a couple different "OFP" variations).

Personally, I think that's more useful than having a single number summation of a player's IQ, since players may be a little smarter in certain areas or have better overall feel in certain areas, but be real dummies in others.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think baseball IQ translates well as a number (though the Astros have done this, I believe). I prefer to incorporate at the data entry level by applying it to my grades before submission (e.g. a runner may be a 70 runner by the stopwatch, but his aRun grade might be a 60 -- both are crunched in spitting out a couple different "OFP" variations).

Personally, I think that's more useful than having a single number summation of a player's IQ, since players may be a little smarter in certain areas or have better overall feel in certain areas, but be real dummies in others.

You know I was just kidding. I don't disagree with anything you said.

I just got an email with this as someone's signature line:

"A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

-- Max Planck

I just got an email with this as someone's signature line:

I just read something that all human beings were going to have brains aided by artificial intelligence and tied to a computer grid by 2040. Wonder what the guy worrying about my ti calculator thinks about that.

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

Sad how true this is, at least on the whole. I used to believe in "clutch" and in things like pitching to the score and in lineup protection and that pitchers had great control over their batter balls and on and on. I was presented with evidence to the contrary. I investigated and changed my mind.

I just read something that all human beings were going to have brains aided by artificial intelligence and tied to a computer grid by 2040. Wonder what the guy worrying about my ti calculator thinks about that.

Going to take more then 25 years to hook up over eight billion to the grid.

I think that people that "don't like" sabermetrics or advanced statistics don't really understand what they are. Sabermetrics can't tell you, won't tell you and doesn't pretend to tell you what any given player will do in any given at bat or any given fielding opportunity. They just tell you how likely they are to do something in a given situation based on passed performance in that same situation. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand or why some people seem so antagonistic to the use of advanced statistics.

Going to take more then 25 years to hook up over eight billion to the grid.

The mistake there is thinking that all 8 billion of us are worthy of being hooked up to the grid :)

On the bright side the CD of 2040 will know their is a 92% chance of striking out on a 0-2 count during a day game in the 5th inning with nobody on with the temperature between 82-90 degrees on a Sunday at least 3 weeks removed from latest Holiday before he actually does it. :laughlol:

Archived