2016 Starting Shortstop is?

Redskins Rick

For discussion sake.

Let's say Hardy's chronic back leads us looking elsewhere.

Yes, I know the majority of the peeps in OH, want Manny at SS.

For discussion sake, let's say Buck and DD leave Manny at Third.

Janish at 32, is probably not the long term answer for SS for this team, neither is probably Flaherty.

So does DD package together an prospect or two and pull the trigger on somebody?

This is the available FA SS, according to MLBTR:

Shortstops

Joaquin Arias (31)

Mike Aviles (35)

Willie Bloomquist (38)

Asdrubal Cabrera (30)

Ian Desmond (30)

Stephen Drew (33)

Alcides Escobar (29) ? $5.25MM club option with a $500K buyout

Maicer Izturis (35) ? $3MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Cliff Pennington (32)

Alexei Ramirez (34) ? $10MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Sean Rodriguez (31)

Jimmy Rollins (37)

Brendan Ryan (34) ? $1MM player option

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For discussion sake.

Let's say Hardy's chronic back leads us looking elsewhere.

Yes, I know the majority of the peeps in OH, want Manny at SS.

For discussion sake, let's say Buck and DD leave Manny at Third.

Janish at 32, is probably not the long term answer for SS for this team, neither is probably Flaherty.

So does DD package together an prospect or two and pull the trigger on somebody?

This is the available FA SS, according to MLBTR:

Shortstops

Joaquin Arias (31)

Mike Aviles (35)

Willie Bloomquist (38)

Asdrubal Cabrera (30)

Ian Desmond (30)

Stephen Drew (33)

Alcides Escobar (29) ? $5.25MM club option with a $500K buyout

Maicer Izturis (35) ? $3MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Cliff Pennington (32)

Alexei Ramirez (34) ? $10MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Sean Rodriguez (31)

Jimmy Rollins (37)

Brendan Ryan (34) ? $1MM player option

I know you said for discussions sake but honestly I don't think this is even a discussion. Even if we decide to trade Hardy, Manny moves to SS there is no doubt in my mind. If Paredes can find his glove at 3rd, Schoop back healthy at 2nd, and Manny at SS, it would be a new 1st baseman I'd be looking for.

I know you said for discussions sake but honestly I don't think this is even a discussion. Even if we decide to trade Hardy, Manny moves to SS there is no doubt in my mind. If Paredes can find his glove at 3rd, Schoop back healthy at 2nd, and Manny at SS, it would be a new 1st baseman I'd be looking for.

I saw Paredes play 3rd last year, and it's not something that worked well.

I don't see Manny being moved off third. I hope not anyway.

Didn't we just sign our SS to a 4 year extension?

Wasn't just about everyone but me in agreement with that move?

Someone should bump the Hardy signs extension thread, and see how according to98% of the posts we were set at SS until 2019

I agree we will need a SS in 2016 and beyond but we will have to watch Hardy struggle to play 100 games each year and plug in the best available AAAA fodder that can be had.

The 2016 starting shortstop is Hardy. I know you said for discussion sake and then laid out a situation, but I don't believe it is likely at all. Hardy's back has been an issue for a couple years yet he is still the everyday SS.

I think it's feasible that Manny would move. I think it's feasible that they'd go for someone like Drew or Alexi Ramirez or someone else in FA.

Still, I don't see it has likely enough of a scenario to delve much deeper into than that.

Didn't we just sign our SS to a 4 year extension?

Wasn't just about everyone but me in agreement with that move?

Someone should bump the Hardy signs extension thread, and see how according to98% of the posts we were set at SS until 2019

I agree we will need a SS in 2016 and beyond but we will have to watch Hardy struggle to play 100 games each year and plug in the best available AAAA fodder that can be had.

Troll's gonna troll, and whiners gonna whine.

I saw Paredes play 3rd last year, and it's not something that worked well.

It's something I hope to never see again. I actually think Pearce would be better at third than Paredes (not that I want to see that happen), because I just don't think you can "teach" a guy at his age to have fast hands and the proper footwork. Even some of the plays he successfully made there last year were pretty iffy.

Troll's gonna troll, and whiners gonna whine.

I was hoping to not have that word pop up since I have been tough on other using the home affectionate verbiage to call folks out. I was surprised at the poster's grandiosity though. I must say.

How would you know before OD 2016that you need a new SS in 2016? Seems likely he just signs minor league depth again. Cabrera will likely still be under team control just in case. Not like he will get much of a raise in arbitration.

Sorry, Cabrera doesn't cut it for me at SS as full-time.

No bat, and decent enough, he isn't Jeter, but, I like Plus Defense at my SS position.

Archived