Steve Clevenger, Mike Wright optioned, Everth Cabrera DFA - Rey Navarro & Cesar Cabral up

xian4

It hurts the O's, but Matusz clearly cheated and got caught doing it. He's no different than Davis getting busted last September. They put themselves over the team. The rule in both cases is dumb, but so is a 55 mph speed limit. Regardless of how dumb the rule, you must follow it.

So I'm angry at Matusz for this, not the League.

Now, the All Star Game snub? That's another story.

Matusz got caught, yet, but everyday across MLB and in domes, pitchers are using crap, if you want to enforce the rules, then dangit, enforce it across mlb.

I think MLB isn't happy with the Orioles over MASN and we are paying the price.

Heck, look at the crap that Big Baby gets away with and they forget to hold his appeal hearing until the following season.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the Brewers pitcher Will Smith had his suspension reduced from 8 games to 6 games earlier today !
If the Orioles don't like it maybe they should play by the rules.

just saying

I agree and said so in my post before yours, but I do question why the Brewers suspension was reduced and ours wasn't, for the same infraction.

Matusz got caught, yet, but everyday across MLB and in domes, pitchers are using crap, if you want to enforce the rules, then dangit, enforce it across mlb.

I think MLB isn't happy with the Orioles over MASN and we are paying the price.

Heck, look at the crap that Big Baby gets away with and they forget to hold his appeal hearing until the following season.

Everyone gets away with it because everyone knows that everyone does it and they are okay with it. The problem was the GM playing Manager who didn't know the unwritten rules of the game.

That said, we broke the rule and they called us on it. Crap happens.

All THAT said, I agree with you and I do not understand the double standards across the league.

MASN. Law. Suit.

AUG 13, 2014

The Baltimore Orioles defied an order from commissioner Bud Selig to appear at a sanctions hearing, another sign of the team's widening rift with Major League Baseball.

BaltSun

Bud Selig warned Peter Angelos that he'll issue sanctions.

If the Orioles don't like it maybe they should play by the rules.

just saying

Maybe MLB should enforce the rule all the time, or get rid of the rule. They know many, many pitchers use stuff to get a better grip on the ball but they decide to enforce the rule once in a blue moon, either when you're being utterly obvious like that Yankee pitcher or when a GM-turned-fake-manager requests it. That's why people have problems with rules - 99.5% of the time it's okay to do what you want, but find a cop/ump having a bad day or a goofball manager and suddenly the same thing you and everybody else has been doing for years gets you in trouble.

All THAT said, I agree with you and I do not understand the double standards across the league.

An exasperated Commissioner Bud Selig has written a letter to Angelos and Nationals owner Ted Lerner threatening action against the parties:

“Both the Orioles and the Nationals have at various times made threats to institute litigation in connection with this dispute, despite my office’s extended, good-faith efforts to have this matter resolved by agreement. On a personal note, I owned a Club for decades and I can honestly say that under no circumstances would I have threatened, let alone commenced, litigation against Baseball. Please be advised that nothing in the Agreement authorizes the parties to file any lawsuit. … I want there to be no doubt that, if any party initiates any lawsuit, or fails to act in strict compliance with the procedures set forth in the Agreement concerning the [Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee of Major League Baseball]’s decision, I will not hesitate to impose the strongest sanctions available to me under the Major League Constitution.”

Imposing the strongest actions could mean forcing an owner to sell a team as was the case with Frank McCourt who had to sell the Los Angeles Dodgers.

MLB means business.

Some rules are so stupid they need to be broken. Not saying this one is, though it is pretty stupid. I remember when the rule was people of different races couldn't eat in the same restaurants or swim in the same pools. I'm glad people broke those rules.

Maybe MLB should enforce the rule all the time, or get rid of the rule. They know many, many pitchers use stuff to get a better grip on the ball but they decide to enforce the rule once in a blue moon, either when you're being utterly obvious like that Yankee pitcher or when a GM-turned-fake-manager requests it. That's why people have problems with rules - 99.5% of the time it's okay to do what you want, but find a cop/ump having a bad day or a goofball manager and suddenly the same thing you and everybody else has been doing for years gets you in trouble.

The rule needs to be fixed. Right now, the umpire will not check unless the opposing manager requests he checks. That's what happened with Pineda, Smith and Matusz. If everyone is doing it, lets just make it legal or allow the umpire more freedom to enforce himself in effort to stop it. Status quo seems a bit ridiculous.

That said, I'm more upset with the lack of consistency than anything else. If Smith gets 6 games, Matusz should get 6. Simple as that.

Archived