My O's glass is half empty again.

NewMarketSean

There are definately problems, but I refuse to believe that our bench configuration is going to determine if we win 72 games or 90. I like to hope that my expectations for our current team are realistic. I dont think we are close to contending for the WC this year, I would be completely ok if we dont have a .500 record and Markakis blooms into a bonafide superstar, and Loewen and DCab put it all together.

I'm tired of the losing seasons as much as anyone, but if we can see some marked improvement from several players then I will be much more confident that this team will turn the corner in the next year or two.

That's the thing though. Many people here believe that if this roster was used properly, we could squeeze 85-90 wins from it combined with some decent pitching, and I agree. However, the way things are going now, along with the people they are talking about adding (Sanders, Fogg, etc...) I think we're on a pace where .500 is a best case scenario.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Oh, well I'm glad you're here to tell us whats wrong with the board.

Know what? If you don't like it, don't read it.

Any other changes you'd like to make?"

Did I say anything about whats wrong with the board? I guess I cant talk about anyone thats an "All Star/Hall of Fame" member for fear of being ganged up upon by yee other "All Star/Hall of Fame" know-it-alls. There are plenty of good topics and insight brought up and I read the board almost every day. Moose, not that you care, but I tend to agree with you on many posts but no dice this time.

"Oh, well I'm glad you're here to tell us whats wrong with the board.

Any other changes you'd like to make?"

Did I say anything about whats wrong with the board? I guess I cant talk about anyone thats an "All Star/Hall of Fame" member for fear of being ganged up upon by yee other "All Star/Hall of Fame" know-it-alls. There are plenty of good topics and insight brought up and I read the board almost every day. Moose, not that you care, but I tend to agree with you on many posts but no dice this time.

Hey, I disagree with NMS sometimes as well, but he's not *****ing just to ***** here. Drungo's above post backs it up perfectly. I get the same sinking feeling that they're getting as well.

Another thing you can learn today is how to use the quote button ;)

Did I say anything about whats wrong with the board? I guess I cant talk about anyone thats an "All Star" member for fear of being ganged up upon by yee other "All Star" know-it-alls. There are plenty of good topics and insight brought up and I read the board almost every day. Moose, I tend to agree with you on many posts but no dice this time.

You become a respected member of this board by sharing your insights and contributing to the discussion. If you're unhappy with All Stars ganging up on noobies, then start adding your two cents. People go from unknowns to regular, respected contributors all the time. By adding to the content.

You've made a handful of posts, all criticizing other folks on the board. You're not going to get very far that way. You need to express your opinions and try to convince people you're right, or stay in the background.

Oh, well I'm glad you're here to tell us whats wrong with the board.

Any other changes you'd like to make? ;)

Thanks for the quote tip........

Did I say anything about whats wrong with the board? I guess I cant talk about anyone thats an "All Star/Hall of Fame" member for fear of being ganged up upon by yee other "All Star/Hall of Fame" know-it-alls, maybe more like some that are just post-it-alls. There are plenty of good topics and insight brought up and I read the board almost every day. Moose, not that you care, but I tend to agree with you on many posts but no dice this time.

Good post, and one I agree with largely. Specifically:

Overhaul the bullpen? No problem. Sign Paul Bako to a MLB contract.
I've said before, I have no problem with this, provided Bako is Norfolk depth. In fact, it would be great to have a vet like Bako in AAA. The problem is we failed to sign a LEGIT BIG CLUB BACKUP! This was a glaring hole going into the off season.
Sign Aubrey Huff? No problem. Re-sign Kevin Millar.
I have no problem here, either; and didn't we sign Millar first? I think was an astute and agressive move by the Os.
Kris Benson goes down and Hayden Penn is primed and ready? No problem. Sign Steve Trachsel to a $3 million dollar MLB deal and then talk about trading for Josh Fogg.
Again, I have no problem with signing Traschel if they are willing to eat his contract and say goodbye. Of course, they are not, and you are right on.
Sign Jay Payton to hit LHP? No problem. He's going to play against LHP and RHP.
100% with you here. Payton is a 4th-er on my team, and a decent one.
Sign good prospects in DuBois, House and Knott? No problem. Leave Josh Phelps unprotected in the Rule 5 draft to protect Paul Bako.
Again, Phelps looked like a good pick up, but spilled milk. The larger issue is- for all 3 of the above- we apparently have zero interest in actually giving them a shot to make the club. And I could make a case for all 3.

Good post, and one I agree with largely. Specifically:

I've said before, I have no problem with this, provided Bako is Norfolk depth. In fact, it would be great to have a vet like Bako in AAA. The problem is we failed to sign a LEGIT BIG CLUB BACKUP! This was a glaring hole going into the off season.

I have no problem here, either; and didn't we sign Millar first? I think was an astute and agressive move by the Os.

Again, I have no problem with signing Traschel if they are willing to eat his contract and say goodbye. Of course, they are not, and you are right on.

100% with you here. Payton is a 4th-er on my team, and a decent one.

Again, Phelps looked like a good pick up, but spilled milk. The larger issue is- for all 3 of the above- we apparently have zero interest in actually giving them a shot to make the club. And I could make a case for all 3.

Your sig, the GWB quote...so very appropriate for this thread...

I honestly don't plan on getting out of "Training Camp," I enjoy the insight from those who know what they are talking about. I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents just like everyone else does. Unfortunately it happened to be thrown at a "Hall of Famer." I know there those that will agree with me, but I dont want to get anyone else blackballed.

I honestly don't plan on getting out of "Training Camp," I enjoy the insight from those who know what they are talking about. I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents just like everyone else does. Unfortunately it happened to be thrown at a "Hall of Famer." I know there those that will agree with me, but I dont want to get anyone else blackballed.

No one gets blackballed if you contribute something of value. If you pop in once every three years and hurl a grenade at a regular you can't expect to be welcomed with open arms.

I can understand why you are taking a negative bent, but I feel that the boredom of the offseason and spring training is causing some of these offhand statements by Perlozzo to be blown out of proprtion. Let's see who makes the team and how the roster is actually utilized before getting suicidal over some random statement by Perlozzo about versatility or whatever.

I can understand why you are taking a negative bent, but I feel that the boredom of the offseason and spring training is causing some of these offhand statements by Perlozzo to be blown out of proprtion. Let's see who makes the team and how the roster is actually utilized before getting suicidal over some random statement by Perlozzo about versatility or whatever.

Frobby, I hear where you're coming from on that, but the part about NMS's initial post that got my attention was the player moves that have offset the good ones we've made. Classic two steps forward, one step back Orioles management style.

Good point. It is only spring training. But that's not what is really getting to me. It's the realization that this team is still saying and doing stupid things when they should be learning from their mistakes.

However, I can't buy into the whole "Our offense will be fine thing." We were below mediocre last year and without utilizing our roster the way it should be utilized, ie platoons, we'll likely be about the same this year as well.

So if by fine, you mean mediocre and scoring about 770 runs, then yeah, I guess our offense will be fine.

I hear you. But I'm basing my assumption that our offense will be there on the fact that we are probably stronger this year 1 through 7 then we were last year. I guess I'm taking more of a big picture look at things. I'm not a big believer in platoons anymore.

I do agree that the organization has a lot of work to do though.

Frobby, I hear where you're coming from on that, but the part about NMS's initial post that got my attention was the player moves that have offset the good ones we've made. Classic two steps forward, one step back Orioles management style.

IMO, it's one step forward, two steps back. After all, the O's have been on a win one game, lose two holding pattern for 9 years now.

Archived