This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Parmelee has a .935 OPS at home and only a .633 OPS on the road. Given these numbers and his career it's obvious that he's much better in smaller ballparks. Those long fly balls he hits are HR's or doubles at home and fly ball outs on the road. He is what he is. But then again our team as a whole does better in OPACY.

All that Parmelee's splits tell me is that he had some trouble with Target field, and that he has 80 total PAs this season and you can't trust home/road splits over five times that many PAs. If he homers in his next road PA his road OPS would go up by 105 points. And if he went 0-for-his-next-8 at home his home OPS would drop into the .760s.

Parmelee was crushing in the minors. And he crushed it for awhile after coming up with us. I find it hard to pick on one him when guys like Jones, Davis, Hardy aren't doing anything, either. And they're all starters.

So Parmelee should get the same leash as Jones, Davis, and Hardy?

So Parmelee should get the same leash as Jones, Davis, and Hardy?

No. But when you call a guy up and give him a chance, you need to give him a chance. If an established MLB hitter like Jones can spend a month OPSing .556, or Davis' .560 June, you probably want to give a guy like Parmelee more than 80 PAs before you toss him aside. Or... I suppose you could be like the guy who sat next to me at a game last year and loudly declared that any GM who let a guy go 1-for-23 (like Caleb Joseph at the time) without getting sent to the minors should get fired.

No. But when you call a guy up and give him a chance, you need to give him a chance. If an established MLB hitter like Jones can spend a month OPSing .556, or Davis' .560 June, you probably want to give a guy like Parmelee more than 80 PAs before you toss him aside. Or... I suppose you could be like the guy who sat next to me at a game last year and loudly declared that any GM who let a guy go 1-for-23 (like Caleb Joseph at the time) without getting sent to the minors should get fired.

Snider hasn't been given that same chance and he was our big offseason acquisition. Snider has played in spurts, Parmelee has started 20 of 25 games.

My theory is that Snider is not ever in jeopardy.

Probably as good a theory as any but I wonder what good Snifer is sitting on the pine so much? I don't see him as much of a weapon as a pher do you? So what good is he not playing? Although some might argue what good is he when he is playing!

My theory is that Snider is not ever in jeopardy.

Snider definitely has "traded for armor". But for him that doesn't stop Buck from sitting him. Especially with the bad baserunning. Another advantage Parm has over him. We all hoped Snider would be like Pearce. Well Pearce got off to a horrible start this year and I'd still rather have Pearce.

I really don't care much about Parmelee vs. Snider. Neither one is exactly setting the world on fire. We really haven't had sustained good play from either of the corner OF spots (and/or 1B when Parmelee is there) no matter who has played these positions.

Yep- it's kind of like comparing and contrasting who was better - David Newhan or Brandon Fahey.

IMO the whole situation is like a large software firm who dumps their pre-beta software on the consumer to see what happens. In retrospect, probably wouldn't be having this discussion at all if we signed Nori Aoki in the offseason - of course that never happened because of his track record of sub-par defense. Instead we get to see majestic fly outs and atom balls from our current platoon.

IMO the whole situation is like a large software firm who dumps their pre-beta software on the consumer to see what happens. In retrospect, probably wouldn't be having this discussion at all if we signed Nori Aoki in the offseason - of course that never happened because of his track record of sub-par defense. Instead we get to see majestic fly outs and atom balls from our current platoon.

How is that any different from using some role players and platoon outfielders like Benny Ayala or John Lowenstein or Tony Tarasco or Nate McLouth or Steve Pearce or Chris Dickerson or Lew Ford? I think this strategy has been beta tested by the 1914 Braves, Alpha tested by about ten dozen teams since, and gone through its 1.0 release with Earl circa 1974. Duquette just sent out some patches to v8.0.

Snider had the third best OBP on the team after 150 ABs. I'm willing get to give Parmalee the same leash, but I don't that it should be coming at the expense of the player with the third best OBP on the team.

The power outage is a separate problem that I think would be fixed with some playing time. You can't hit Homers sitting on the bench.

Archived