Trade Watch (It starts)

weams

If we got Zobrist then we will have given up a boatload of talent we cant afford to give up in order to get him (not sure we have the prospects anyway)

With the demand for him, he is about as unobtainable as Cole Hamels

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's under contract thru 2016 and his deal averages about 9 million a year, which is LESS than Markakis was offered and agreed to before it was rescinded.

Bruce is heating up and has good numbers lately, but was very disappointing last season and his RF arm may not be what it used to be.He is 3 years younger than Nick and when he was producing was considered one of the bright young stars in the game.

Im not sure what it would take to get him, but would anyone out there be interested in the pickup if it were to happen?

I would be down with getting Jay Bruce not entirely sure though that we would be able to go toe to toe with some of the other teams that would be interested in him.

I think a lot of people (not directed at you Roy) in general have an unrealistic view of what this team is realistically capable of trading for.

We have very few guys that are that are highly regarded (prospects) and the few we do, I believe we desperately need to hold on to for various reasons.

If we do not sell then I believe we will likely be a team waiting to see who is left when the music is about to stops that we can get at a reasonable price. That does not mean those guy will not be helpful but I think most fans need to be realistic and realize guys like Upton, Hamels, Zobrist and company are likely not coming here. Bruce might be a reasonable target but I suspect there would be some competition for him.

Alright, I'm convinced. Why is no one talking about Parra? He's making almost no money, .861 OPS, 28 years old....I guess because he is way outperforming his previous body of work?

Seems to me like that's an even better reason to try to buy assuming his pricetag is lower. No commitment beyond the rest of this year.

Plus the guy has won two GG's before. One in 2011 primarily playing LF, the other in 2013 primarily playing RF.

Interested. He's relatively cheap, deal isn't that long if he doesn't produce. Has upside. Don't know if the O's have what it takes to trade for him without rendering a scant farm system barren. I also like that he apparently has a no-trade clause that rules out all of the AL East teams except the Orioles.

It's funny a couple months ago there was a thread about "who was everyone's favorite non oriole players". Mine were Bruce and Zobrist. I'd look at Bruce like this. He's our Chris Davis replacement for 2016-2017. We're not getting Davis at what he's going to get with Boras. So anyone that we would sign to fill that hole would cost us a first rd pick. So that's value we'd already have to invest in getting a Davis replacement anyway, and it wouldn't be just a 2 year deal.

But it's looking smart not to do anything until the 31st because if Detroit becomes a seller it floods the market. Best thing for us to do is to go 5-0, 4-1 in our next 5 games. Cespedes being on the market would lower Bruce's value.

My issue with Zobrist is there are competitors that are highly likely to drive up the price, and I hate the idea of a rental considering where the Orioles currently reside, standings-wise. So many teams competing for wild card spot and 7 games to make up on Yankees, I just hate the idea of giving up assets and maybe coming away with a one-game wildcard play-in in which anything at all could happen.

My issue with Zobrist is there are competitors that are highly likely to drive up the price, and I hate the idea of a rental considering where the Orioles currently reside, standings-wise. So many teams competing for wild card spot and 7 games to make up on Yankees, I just hate the idea of giving up assets and maybe coming away with a one-game wildcard play-in in which anything at all could happen.

Zobrist has been worth a win this year, give or take. It's not like he's some kind of '08 CC Sabathia rental who you can pitch every third day for eight innings and you just don't care because he's signing with the Yanks in two months. Best case he turns 86 wins into 88. If the rest of the team doesn't pick it up he might turn 78 into 79.

I like Zobrist, and he is the epitome of Buck-friendly versatility. But in the past few days, I've seen references to the Mets, Nats, Cubs, Pirates, Royals, Giants and Yankees pursuing a trade for Zobrist, with the Mets reportedly having backed off due to the high asking price and most of the media attention today focused on a Royals deal for him. It's a crowded fielded, one that I doubt we could or should compete in.

Please, no. As I was saying in another thread, I have some friends who are Reds fans and they would love to see him traded because his huge hot and cold streaks become so frustrating. Yes, his bat is hot right now, but then he'll go 2-for-40 and you'll be nostalgic for Chris Parmelee.

If I were going to deal for a bat right now and try to win this thing, I'd check in with the Phillies on Ben Revere. He still has two years of control left after this one and as a BA/OBP/SB guy he could solve the Orioles' problem at the top of the order. He could score a ton of runs hitting ahead of Jones, Machado and (for this year, if they don't trade him) Davis.

Zobrist has been worth a win this year, give or take. It's not like he's some kind of '08 CC Sabathia rental who you can pitch every third day for eight innings and you just don't care because he's signing with the Yanks in two months. Best case he turns 86 wins into 88. If the rest of the team doesn't pick it up he might turn 78 into 79.

That was my sense, by admittedly I didn't look up the details. Thanks -- I feel more strongly it isn't the type of move I'd focus on.

Please, no. As I was saying in another thread, I have some friends who are Reds fans and they would love to see him traded because his huge hot and cold streaks become so frustrating. Yes, his bat is hot right now, but then he'll go 2-for-40 and you'll be nostalgic for Chris Parmelee.

If I were going to deal for a bat right now and try to win this thing, I'd check in with the Phillies on Ben Revere. He still has two years of control left after this one and as a BA/OBP/SB guy he could solve the Orioles' problem at the top of the order. He could score a ton of runs hitting ahead of Jones, Machado and (for this year, if they don't trade him) Davis.

I am thinking Revere might not be a bad guy to go after. He's under team control through 2018, and his defense might play up a bit in LF.

Archived