Trade Watch (It starts)

weams

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably not the right person to do this, but figured I'd throw the question out to others who understand this better.

A week ago, in the midst of some down baseball, it seemed as though we'd be sellers. Now, points have been made by the front office that we'd be active on the trade front.

I'd like to compare the present and future values of these two situations for the four players that we would be likely to sell if we aren't going for it:

Hold/Buy:

Present:

Davis (~1 WAR for remainder of season)

Wieters (~1.5 WAR for remainder of season)

Chen (~1 WAR for remainder of the season)

O'Day (~0.5 WAR for remainder of season)

Future:

Assume QO to all four: 4 Comp picks

Assume that all of these players would end up somewhere in our top 10 to replenish the farm, and somewhere in the top 200 of prospects

Sell:

Davis?

Wieters?

Chen?

O'Day?

What could we reasonably get in terms of prospects for each of these?

I'd assume we would get at least 1 top 200 player for each of these, plus some lower level players with potential. Maybe 8 total players, 4 inside our top 10.

So weighing these two, which would be the better present and future value to the team, given the possible profits that would come in by being competitive over the next two months if we hold, and the ~10% chance of making the playoffs.

and the ~10% chance of making the playoffs

We are 2 games behind the Twins for a wildcard spot with 63 games to play. I'd have to put our odds of making the playoffs at well above 10%. The wildcard may not be sexy, but both World Series teams last year were wildcard teams. At this point, we are a game ahead of where the Royals were last season after 99 games (49-50). I would be very surprised if we became sellers by Friday.

My new motto is "Do Something." I am firmly in the sell camp, yes even at 2 games back, but if you aren't going to sell then the Orioles have to do something to improve this team. They cannot afford to sit back and not do anything and then blow some hot air about how the non waiver deadline isn't the end all be all of opportunities to improve the team.

I do not want to trade for rentals, and I am not of the mindset of blowing it up when we're only 2 games back. Like it or not, I'm in the holding pattern, with the caveat being...

DFA Snider and Chicken Parm. Call up Walker and Alverez. Play Nolan more.

My mostly everyday lineup would be something like...

3B: Manny

DH: Nolan

CF: Jones

RF: Davis

C: Wieters

SS: Hardy

1B: Walker

2B: Schoop

LF: Alverez

Walker and Alverez cannot be any worse offensively then Parm and Snider, and they also offer a glimpse into the future when a bunch of the current O's are gone.

I do not want to trade for rentals, and I am not of the mindset of blowing it up when we're only 2 games back. Like it or not, I'm in the holding pattern, with the caveat being...

Walker and Alverez cannot be any worse offensively then Parm and Snider, and they also offer a glimpse into the future when a bunch of the current O's are gone.

I like this. Snider and Parm definitely need to go.

I do see DD making a minor move or two though but nothing major.

They cannot afford to sit back and not do anything and then blow some hot air about how the non waiver deadline isn't the end all be all of opportunities to improve the team.

I could defend your point of view. But I'm curious on why YOU think that is not acceptable.

I agree with your thoughts. Spot on.

Was Veal Parm, got downgraded to Chicken Parm:)

Alvarez is deserving of a promotion. I am not sold on Walker at all, but he will get recalled if not packaged. My guess is they are trying to package him as we speak.

I think we will sneak in the play-offs in the WC, but I still think we shouldn't do it because I don't think we can get through 3 rounds of play-offs to get to the WS. We would have to beat 2 of KC, NYY, and LAA to get to the series and I don't think we can do it. I typed this long post about why and lost it when I tried to cut and paste. LOL

The summary is that the Royals and Angels are good and the Yankees look to having one of those magical years where almost everything goes right.

While it absolutely kills me to admit it, I don't think we will get through these 3 teams (despite having a puncher's chance) so I want us to prepare for the future. That probably would go over very badly in the clubhouse though so I don't blame DD at all for not doing it. Keeping the right atmosphere is a big deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What if Rick Dempsey got Really, really, lucky. Or Brooks played out of his mind. Or Jim Palmer started a World Series game at age 19 and beat Sandy Koufax?

BTW, I thought we might have a chance at retaining Davis 6 weeks ago, but he has now augmented his value to the point where I think we have no shot at him. I could see the damn Red Sox going after him hard this offseason. If he ends up in a Red Sox uniform, I will be very sad.

That would be devastating to see.

Archived