Potential Landing Spots for Chris Davis

25 Nuggets

I think you will see Jones with some heavy tweets if this offseason is business as usual.

I honestly think we run the risk of losing the fan base if you let Davis walk AND don't find an adequate replacement in the OF. Heck, we may lose the fan base, DD and then Buck if Angelos goes complete cheap-o. It's one thing to go Oakland A's, but we've already trended some toward riding it out and not going Oakland A's. And that's why I find it hard to believe that we do "nothing". We have an open window here, let's try to extend it. I really hope we don't go half ass. We have to do something.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Dan is going into the offseason with one of his goals being placating Adam Jones, we're going to have a bad time.

You don't think we should keep him in mind for clubhouse chemistry reasons? Unless we trade him too, you kind of want him to be in good spirits and believe in the direction the organization is going..

You don't think we should keep him in mind for clubhouse chemistry reasons? Unless we trade him too, you kind of want him to be in good spirits and believe in the direction the organization is going..

I don't think you sign a player to a contract that you otherwise wouldn't because you are scared of what Jones might do or say.

I think you will see Jones with some heavy tweets if this offseason is business as usual.

I've seen a lot of people allude to some preconception that the Orioles will have a repeat of last offseason. Admittedly, it was a real bore but it was necessary with all those core guys coming into their most expensive arbitration year and little to no excess pay roll to work with. There is a lot coming off the books. I say it's very reasonable to expect a busy offseason. The window hasn't closed, some may say a new chapter is just beginning.

I don't think you sign a player to a contract that you otherwise wouldn't because you are scared of what Jones might do or say.

And if he is that unprofessional as to become a malcontent to the degree that it pulled the team down (highly unlikely of course), he is a very valuable piece at his cost and production.

Not just Jones. There are other important veterans on this team. And you want to show that you're invested in winning. If you let Davis walk, you might as well consider blowing it up and trading everyone. Go full-blown Beane.

I've seen a lot of people allude to some preconception that the Orioles will have a repeat of last offseason. Admittedly, it was a real bore but it was necessary with all those core guys coming into their most expensive arbitration year and little to no excess pay roll to work with. There is a lot coming off the books. I say it's very reasonable to expect a busy offseason. The window hasn't closed, some may say a new chapter is just beginning.

I agree there is concern of a repeat of last offseason or some variation thereof. The club made a decision to continue down the path of arbitration with a substantial portion of the roster though one could argue that some of these parts could have been moved to create flexibility. I'll have to take the O's word that there was no excess payroll (I've never been one to huff and puff about "MASN money"). Your correct that significant payroll is coming off the books which creates an opportunity and the potential for a busy offseason.

The O's are poised to lose at least 3 impact players (Chen, Davis, O'Day and others) from the current club due to the free agent market landscape. My concern is the club's ability to replace these losses given the clubs overall financial resources and a significant reluctance to enter into long term contracts. In addition, the farm system doesn't present much in the way of in house solutions to supplement the offense that will be lost. DD has his work cut out for him this offseason and my concern is we will see a heavy dose of quantity over quality.

You don't, but I'm not sure that was the point. Jones has been a model employee for the club in every manner, actually the guy is pure gold with everything he is involved with. He's only being human if he acknowledges the loss of impact talent with no suitable replacement thereof.

The only time you keep clubhouse chemistry in mind is when weighing overall value of acquiring a player with significant baggage. You never decide that Choice A is what's best for the organization, except that Adam Jones liked Choice B better so we'll go with that one. Players play. GMs build the roster. Adam Jones should be able to make personnel decisions like Dan Duquette needs to be able to hit an overhand curve.

You don't, but I'm not sure that was the point. Jones has been a model employee for the club in every manner, actually the guy is pure gold with everything he is involved with. He's only being human if he acknowledges the loss of impact talent with no suitable replacement thereof.

I expect players to react to the departure of long time teammates similarly to how fans do, with disappointment and anger. Even if the personnel decisions were made for the good of the organization.

Not just Jones. There are other important veterans on this team. And you want to show that you're invested in winning. If you let Davis walk, you might as well consider blowing it up and trading everyone. Go full-blown Beane.

I don't buy into the idea that you "show you're invested in winning" by signing players to much more than your best estimate of their value. I think that's a good way to show that you care about short-term player and fan emotions more than building a sustainable, winning organization within a realistic budget.

I don't buy into the idea that you "show you're invested in winning" by signing players to much more than your best estimate of their value. I think that's a good way to show that you care about short-term player and fan emotions more than building a sustainable, winning organization within a realistic budget.

Sort of like moving prospects for rentals in an effort to maybe nudge the playoff needle slightly, and knowing that once you make the playoffs it's a crapshoot anyway?

Perhaps you should start a poll on the Davis 10/200 issue and get everyone on the record right now. I think you'll find the substantial majority of posters on this forum will want no part of that deal.

I think Scott will find the substantial majority of MLB GM's wont either.

Archived