Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

i like what I see at the plate more each day. I can't figure out how he won two gold gloves, though.

Yes, there was a ball he clearly misread today and circled behind letting it fall in front. His defense has really taken a hit over the last two years since he won his last GG in 2013(not that I put that much stock in those), but he's serviceable. Better range than Markakis but below league average. I don't think I'd offer him four years, but maybe two or three at the right price. His bat may still be more productive than Nick's over the same time.

He OPS'd .677 & .708 in 2013 & 2014 and was below replacement level in 2014.

Look at it this way. We could probably sign Parra for the same price that Nick Markakis would have cost (or maybe less). Markakis has sentimental value, but Parra is three years younger, a better base runner, a better fielder and a slightly better hitter. Would you do 4 years/$44 million for Parra and do you think that would be enough to sign him?

I really have zero sense of what his value would be. If he might seriously go for 4/44 would it make sense to offer him the QO just in case?

I like what I am seeing from Parra too, but......

Parra has been in the majors for 7 years. His career OPS is 740.

His 3 year averages prior to this year were:

505 AB, 67 R, 9 HR, 41 RBI, 11 SB, 267/321/388/709

This is a guy having a career year. I would not give him 4 years. Two maybe. And he is not a 10M player. Maybe 2/16M with an option on a third year.

I like what I am seeing from Parra too, but......

Parra has been in the majors for 7 years. His career OPS is 740.

His 3 year averages prior to this year were:

505 AB, 67 R, 9 HR, 41 RBI, 11 SB, 267/321/388/709

This is a guy having a career year. I would not give him 4 years. Two maybe. And he is not a 10M player. Maybe 2/16M with an option on a third year.

Does someone else believe that this isn't just a career year, but the new normal? The Orioles need to decide whether or not they can live with a 4/44 kind of deal for a guy who gives them a .740 OPS with so-so defense. They might because of the upside. Someone will almost certainly give him more than 2/16, that's paying for a little more than a win a year from a guy who's probably going to have been worth ~2 or more four of the last five years.

Does someone else believe that this isn't just a career year, but the new normal? The Orioles need to decide whether or not they can live with a 4/44 kind of deal for a guy who gives them a .740 OPS with so-so defense. They might because of the upside. Someone will almost certainly give him more than 2/16, that's paying for a little more than a win a year from a guy who's probably going to have been worth ~2 or more four of the last five years.

His WAR is almost completely based on a subpar offense and a positive defense prior to this year. Are there examples of players who get paid 10m per year for that kind of performance? Would the O's sign those players?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=8553&position=OF

Edited by wildcard

His WAR is almost completely based on a subpar offense and a positive defense prior to this year. Are there examples of players who get paid 10m per year for that kind of performance? Would the O's sign those players?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=8553&position=OF

But it's also based on very poor defense combined with very good offense this year. Parra is an odd case. I really don't know what to think, except that I'm skeptical of someone who's offensive gains are all BABIP-related, and his defensive metrics have collapsed. But someone will probably look at the upside in both.

The talk surrounding Parra has me thinking, there seems to be an overall dearth of high quality corner OF out there. So I looked at the AL:

Brett Gardner

Carlos Beltran (at age 38)

Jose Bautista

Alex Gordon

J.D. Martinez

Michael Brantley

George Springer

Kole Calhoun

Nelson Cruz

Josh Reddick

That's ten split among 15 teams that are everyday corner OF you can count on. Three of those are 34 and older (Bautista, Cruz, Beltran). Not too bad I guess. But a guy like Melky Cabrera (.280/.320/.402, 104 OPS+ and poor defense) has value. Heck, Travis Snider supposedly had over a win's worth of value with the Orioles. That's the environment Parra goes into free agency with.