A wound that time has not healed for me

Frobby

I never understood until years later why my Father hated Eddie Watt. My parents always had the radio or TV on to the Orioles. He would curse when Watt came into the game.

My Father got tickets for he and I to the World Series every year from 69' to 71'.

In 1969, the Orioles did not survive Shea Stadium, so Game 6 was cancelled and we never went.

In 1970, we went to Game 4 and the Orioles were looking to sweep. Lee May hit a 3 run home run in the 8th inning to win that Game, but we won the next day.

In 1971, I still remember Frank sliding home in the 10th inning of Game 6 to win and force Game 7. He had those spikes 3 feet in the air pointed right at the catcher when he slid. Old time baseball.

Years later I found out it was Eddie Watt who gave up the home run to Lee May in 1970. That explained everything. Go Dad!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the '79 loss to the Pirates for me, but that is just because I was 2 years old in '69.

I always think about what could have been in the 69-71 seasons, winning 109/108/101 games, respectively. I wonder if the O's had won those 3 World Series, are they in the argument for best 3-season stretch in ML history?

It's the '79 loss to the Pirates for me, but that is just because I was 2 years old in '69.

I always think about what could have been in the 69-71 seasons, winning 109/108/101 games, respectively. I wonder if the O's had won those 3 World Series, are they in the argument for best 3-season stretch in ML history?

Even with losing in '69 and '71, I'm pretty sure this book had that 3 year era of the O's in at least the top 5 teams ever assembled. I'll have to find it on my bookshelf and look again to verify.

Ok, found some of it. One author lists the '70 O's as #2 team of all time and the other author lists them as #3. There is a section for dynasties (multi-year dominance), but I didn't have time to thumb through all of it.

51rqLp%2BRbCL._SX403_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Pirates for me as well. If I ever hear "We Are Family" again I'll kill a small animal.

I still cannot 'til this day forgive the Mets for what they did to us in '69. I know---in a 7-game series the superior team will win. Sorry, that didn't happen in '69. That's why, as Roy mentioned earlier in this thread, you really don't want to broach that subject with members of that great '69 O's team.

Rochester - O's became my favorites because of the Red Wings. Never lived in Baltimore but was a Colts (not Ravens) and Bullets fan.

Wow, that's amazing as it's my story, too, by proxy through my Dad who was born there and followed all the guys on the team. He continued that when his family moved out to CA where, as kids, we pulled for the same team he did.

Of course, my earliest memory of the team is them winning it all by sweeping the Reds the year after the Mets debacle. I was six.

OK Now you ruined my entire day I hope your happy ;) as I too lived thru that disaster I could never figure which was worse the Colts gett'in busted, or the O's losing to the best NO NAME LOSERS IN BASEBALL history... :rolleyestf: I consider the Mets the DAMN YANKEE'S COUSINS I HATE THEM.

THAT World Series was even in Men In Black 2. It was the alien's perfect moment. The perfect upset. Even mentioned Davey Johnson by name.

THAT World Series was even in Men In Black 2. It was the alien's perfect moment. The perfect upset. Even mentioned Davey Johnson by name.
MIB 3....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8uw57I5SD8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The '69 Series also figures heavily in the Dennis Quaid movie Frequency, in which a father and son are able to communicate across time via short-wave radio. The father is back in 1969 and the World Series is an important backdrop to the story. Not a bad movie, but that plot element kind of ruined it for me.

Meanwhile, we are now 0-9 against the Mets this decade. Can we please stop the madness tonight?

The '69 Series also figures heavily in the Dennis Quaid movie Frequency, in which a father and son are able to communicate across time via short-wave radio. The father is back in 1969 and the World Series is an important backdrop to the story. Not a bad movie, but that plot element kind of ruined it for me.

Meanwhile, we are now 0-9 against the Mets this decade. Can we please stop the madness tonight?

I agree this streak JUST HAS TO END TONIGHT! :vader:

It really is enough already. Before this year they weren't even that good.

Archived