Manny Machado at SS

Oriolesallday

I really liked the move. But for this game? No. Not the best idea when the game is on the line like that.

I know that Manny can play SS. It really upset me when he made the error. But I knew it was coming. A lot of people on O's Twitter were also excited, only to be let down.

I expected the error because, he did not warm up for SS. He hadn't played in years. He was too used to playing third. And in my honest opinion, sometimes I think Manny is just a big bundle of nerves as a kid. I feel bad for him for that.

I am glad he was willing to play SS for the team. I know that someday, when he has a lots of preparation, he will make a great part time SS. But let's wait til the offseason to do that.

I hope some of you guys will agree.

I really liked the move. But for this game? No. Not the best idea when the game is on the line like that.

I know that Manny can play SS. It really upset me when he made the error. But I knew it was coming. A lot of people on O's Twitter were also excited, only to be let down.

I expected the error because, he did not warm up for SS. He hadn't played in years. He was too used to playing third. And in my honest opinion, sometimes I think Manny is just a big bundle of nerves as a kid. I feel bad for him for that.

I am glad he was willing to play SS for the team. I know that someday, when he has a lots of preparation, he will make a great part time SS. But let's wait til the offseason to do that.

I hope some of you guys will agree.

Stop making excuses for the kids. We are in the pennant race that is a play he has to make. Mistakes happen but to totally act like its not his fault because he hasn't played SS lately is really coddling the kid.

I'm not sure that warming up for shortstop is a thing. He plays in that spot when we have shifts multiple times a game and has made plenty of plays there.

I concur. It was pretty much rotten luck. The baseball gods work in mysterious ways. And it's not like Manny hasn't made costly late inning errors at 3rd base this season.

I concur. It was pretty much rotten luck. The baseball gods work in mysterious ways. And it's not like Manny hasn't made costly late inning errors at 3rd base this season.

Let's not forget he's 22. He will improve on this.

Rotten luck is crapping the bed on the play, then letting the runner to get to second, then botching the play after Paredes botched it (Manny bobbled the ball)?

I don't like putting players in a position to fail. Now we had no other choice at that specific moment. But Machado hasn't played SS in forever.

Stop making excuses for the kids. We are in the pennant race that is a play he has to make. Mistakes happen but to totally act like its not his fault because he hasn't played SS lately is really coddling the kid.

x2

any infielder should make that play. hell every guy in the organization from Shorebirds to O's should be able to make that play.

I suspect he's too good to try. it's as if he's so great he can just will the ball to go where he wants. well it seems that may not be the case. the 'bad hop' excuse loses some validity after the half assed throw from 3b.

I'm not sure that warming up for shortstop is a thing. He plays in that spot when we have shifts multiple times a game and has made plenty of plays there.

In '83 I know that Sakata, Lowenstein, and Roenicke all warmed up for like half a hour before they were inserted last minute at positions they hadn't played in years/ever.

First of all Hardy is hurt and should have not played at all. Then Buck blew it by putting Manny at short and greasy hands Paredes at third. This, IMHO was Buck's loss.

I think it's all on Angelos and Duquette for not forcing their will on the other owners and the rules committee and making the roster size 30. Or allowing two-way substitutions. Or maybe it is on Buck for having so many gol darned relievers and not enough position players. Back in the day you'd go with like six pitchers and you'd never run out of players even if the game went 26 innings!

Archived