vs. RAYS, 9/17

OFFNY

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was built years before the city was awarded a team.

It's actually older then OPACY.

I guess I forgot that. I have read a fair amount about TB's woes in failing to arrange for a new stadium, but don't recall anything about building the Trop. Still, if you don't have a major league-level stadium, and don't have firm plans to build one, how do you get awarded a franchise?

The Rays are last in home attendance with an average of 15,673, even with the boost they get from relocated fans of visiting teams. The Indians are 29th with an average of 17,994.

My biggest fear about the mess this team is in (not in playing, but financially, attendance-wise and stuck in this atrocious stadium) is that the Rays will give up the ghost and relocate to a place that supports the team much better, giving it a financial boost that makes the Orioles' competitive position in the AL East even worse.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I think it'd be a cool record for the club to have...why so much indifference? 
    • Exceeding expectations: Irvin.  I said before the season I thought he'd have a monster season but had no idea it'd be like this. Gunnar:  Thought he'd be more of the same as last year, maybe a bit of a sophomore slump but he's MVP level even with his recent skid.  His defense looks legit, too.  He's making the leap in year 2 to superstar player. Adley:  Hitting for a higher average than I would have expected, now it looks like the power is coming around, too. Cowser:  Low bar to hurdle here, didn't know what to expect/low expectations help him here.   O'Hearn:  Thought he'd still be good but not this good. Mounty:  Glad to have been wrong about him after being all over him last year.  His defense is excellent, I think he'll be in the running for a GG this year. Westburg:  1.8 bWAR already, had no idea this was coming.  Looking like an invaluable member of the team moving forward.  Steady, quiet excellence. Mateo:  Thought he might not even have a spot on the team this spring but his defense is electric at 2nd base.  Would like to see more steals from him, though. Kremer:  He's been great. I don't know how his bWAR is -0.2, 46 innings of a 1.022 WHIP has to be worth more than that.  I thought he'd be solid, I didn't think he'd be this good. Suarez:  Out of nowhere for 23 innings of 0.913 WHIP.  Amazing. Akin:  I'll get some flak for this but I don't care.  I didn't expect much from him, so anything positive is a step in the right direction.  1.056 WHIP out of the pen, I'll take that all day.  21 strikeouts in 18 innings.  Remains to be seen if he can do this all year, but I think he's fully healthy and back to throwing strikes.   Failing to meet expectations Jackson Holliday:  But I'm not upset about it.   Kimbrel:  But of course. Cedric:  This hurts because I love the guy but he looks awful at the plate.  He's still somewhat indispensable because of his range in CF but the second half of last year was bad and it's even worse this year.   Tony Santander:  Almost don't want to put him here because he's a notorious slow starter so expectations probably should have been adjusted.   Cano:  Low on the list here because I expected him to be not as effective this year as he was last year.  But he's a good candidate for a roller coaster appearance and he's bailed himself out with some outstanding defensive plays.  1.328 WHIP isn't ideal for someone in his spot. I'm not gonna put injured players on here so that spares Hays and G-Rod from making the failing to meet expectations list.    
    • Watching the weather tonight it seems like they might have been able to get at least half the game in before this current precipitation which doesn't look all that heavy. Plus it looks like there's going to be a break in the weather during the next hour.
    • Just posted in the other thread, and yes, I believe the answers just above are correct. If we lose tomorrow, it's over (thankfully).
    • Both teams have an off day Thursday. Don’t know why the game wasn’t rescheduled for then. 
    • I want the streak to end as much as anyone bc I am sick of hearing about it. That said, I thought if we lose tomorrow then we have been swept bc the rescheduled game is now part of the July series?
  • Popular Contributors