2015 NLDS: Mets vs. Dodgers

OFFNY

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

Bad call by the umpires in the first place, because Utley never touched the bag.

Bad move by the Mets not to appeal that.

If that costs the Mets this series, it's their own fault.

Now, they have just informed us that the Mets could not appeal.

That's just a bad rule. The runner never touched 2nd base, and had no intention of doing so while breaking up any kind of DP attempt ...... but he is still assumed safe because the fielder never touched the bag.

Utley's slide was dirty. When you go into a base where you don't even touch the base in such an obvious manner, you should be out.

And the insult to injury (literally AND figuratively) is that he was called safe, even though he never touched the bag himself.

The fielder at least tried to touch the bag ...... the runner did not even try to touch the bag, yet he was still assumed safe according to the rules.

Love Cal as a player, but he's just simply wrong and his justification is poor at best. He just doesn't want to come off as soft.

That's what bugs me about Cal and all this. If he believes whoever (AGon?) was a better 3Bman, fine! If that's really your opinion. But it seems he's always taking some side to protect HIS reputation and mystique.

That's what bugs me about Cal and all this. If he believes whoever (AGon?) was a better 3Bman, fine! If that's really your opinion. But it seems he's always taking some side to protect HIS reputation and mystique.

Just fricking call the game like you see it. Your (very valued) opinion. Like Billy does. Like Palmer does.

I don't understand how a runner can never touch 2B, jog off the field, sit in the dugout talking to people and then somehow be called safe

I don't know the specific rule, but he is safe by definition after the out called was overturned (by replay). They didn't say he was safe,just that no out was recorded. So now the play is in limbo. Utley left the field because the umps called him out. Then the umps came back and said, nevermind. It would be fun if instead of a default safe call they had some sort of competition to determine things.

Archived